Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast Disturbances

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

https://twitter.com/graces_banter/status/1383576553196376073

Just lads enjoying themselves. Culture vultures really.

Charming bunch of lads. I cannot understand why anyone would not want this clearly misunderstood group of upstanding and cultured people marching in their area.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

downcow wrote: »
    My dad always said ‘you can get knowledge from a fool’ lol
    https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/johnson-vows-to-address-ludicrous-protocol-trade-barriers-as-he-rules-out-irish-unity-referendum-for-a-very-very-long-time-to-come-40332830.html

Seems the ‘Belfast disturbances’ have focused minds, just a little - a dangerous messages that ensures ante will be upped on the streets

That would be the same Boris Johnson that promised unionists this....

You can choose to hang on Boris' every word if you like.

My dad would say there's no fool like an old fool though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My point exactly. A survey was never carried out so how do people know it’s not wanted. 20/30 people block the road and the Protestant community is threatened by a few anonymous phone calls and we are told it’s not wanted
    So your assertion that it was just "a very small group of republicans" who didn't want it was wrong. Just because a small group are out protesting against it does not mean that is the total number against it. By their very nature, these parades are designed to indicate triumphalism over a section of the community. I would suspect that there would not be one nationalist in the town that believes that it should take place but you're prepared to ignore them simply because they don't want to engage in a protest.
    In fact, I would suspect that a number of unionists would also object to the parades as their underlying intent to create tensions is unwanted by anyone who is not at the loyalist end of the spectrum.
    But that wouldn't suit your argument, would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭trashcan

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/johnson-vows-to-address-ludicrous-protocol-trade-barriers-as-he-rules-out-irish-unity-referendum-for-a-very-very-long-time-to-come-40332830.html

Seems the ‘Belfast disturbances’ have focused minds, just a little - a dangerous messages that ensures ante will be upped on the streets

Please tell me you’re not taking anything Boris has to say seriously ? lol indeed. He put the protocol in place FFS. Now he wants you to believe he’s dead against it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭droidman123

Johnson is trustworthy and we can all believe everything he says.he is the most honest politician britain has had in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

trashcan wrote: »
    Please tell me you’re not taking anything Boris has to say seriously ? lol indeed. He put the protocol in place FFS. Now he wants you to believe he’s dead against it ;)

Is Boris the best snake oil salesman these islands have ever seen?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Is Boris the best snake oil salesman these islands have ever seen?

No,it's salesperson and that would be Ms ML Mcdonald.

RobMc59 wrote: »

Was it at the same time as this or shortly after they were actually building border infrastructure? :)

Boris Johnson: Only over my dead body will there be a border in the Irish Sea
    Boris Johnson has reiterated his promise that businesses in NI will enjoy unfettered access to GB after Brexit, declaring that “there will be no border down the Irish Sea – over my dead body”.

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-only-over-my-dead-body-will-there-be-border-irish-sea-2942026

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't think it's a secret on here that I dislike MLMD. However, I think you are blinded by your bias there Rob. How on earth is she in any way comparable to Johnson?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

:eek: I think ye're all being very disrespectful to Johnson, the mastercraftsman. He very clearly said that the NIP only needs a bit of "sandpaper" and as any builder of model buses would tell you, you only move on to the sandpaper stage when all the real work has been done, when the piece is damn near perfect, and all that remains is to rub it down a little to ensure that the paint or varnish sticks before you put the finished article on display.

So he's being entirely honest and telling it like it is. :cool:

Or maybe he knows feck all about what you can do with sandpaper. :pac:

• Advertisement

I don't think it's a secret on here that I dislike MLMD. However, I think you are blinded by your bias there Rob. How on earth is she in any way comparable to Johnson?

Seth,who actually believes a word that comes out of Johnsons mouth?Certainly not me,which is why he is in fact,one of the worst snake oil salesman of all time. :)

Seth,who actually believes a word that comes out of Johnsons mouth?Certainly not me,which is why he is in fact,one of the worst snake oil salesman of all time. :)

Clearly, some people 'believed' him and are proposing to do it again as we see above.

He sold it before and he's doing it again.

No. 1 snake oil salesman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

The fact that he's currently your Prime Minister suggests otherwise.

Just one embarrassing 'protest' after another.

https://twitter.com/Barnabybear70/status/1384260695647080449

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

How it started/how it's going

fGtUo1vl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭circadian

So, basically what he's saying is that he'll ask for the referendum at the next good opportunity.

You should know by now, downcow, that take anything Boris says and assume he means the opposite. How many times do Unionists need to get burned to realise this?

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    The fact that he's currently your Prime Minister suggests otherwise.

Even worse is this buffoon who is supposedly the leader of the western world...
    https://eutoday.net/news/politics/2020/the-sectarian-hatred-of-joe-biden

That website is the modern equivalent of a Geocities page of conspiracy theories.

circadian wrote: »
    That website is the modern equivalent of a Geocities page of conspiracy theories.

So are the pictures of him with convicted terrorists fake?

No? I don't see how you can reduce it to an image, that's a completely cynical point to make and you know it.

184905985-7eb9ff6a-9243-45ac-8754-0484bcc458cd.jpg

Someone was defending Arlene over the above earlier in the thread.

So which is it? Being pictured with terrorists is open to interpretation and context or it's just a straight up they're a bad person?

• Advertisement

The GFA is such a fluid thing. One day, it is the bible, the next day, we'll ignore it to have a rant.

:rolleyes:

Couldn't give a toss about Joe Biden, his government have no direct input into the governing of my place of birth. I don't really see how it is relevant, apart from as a really low grade attempt to deflect from criticism of Boris Johnson.

I'd love to track the steps of your posting history from, 'neutral remain voter who is curious about Ireland' to, 'rabidly Brexit supporting, unabashedly not neutral', and it appears your next step is to start towards the, 'Sleepy Joe' type tropes. I'm getting my popcorn out for the madness of QAnon posting and claims of US election rigging that could soon follow.

The GFA is such a fluid thing. One day, it is the bible, the next day, we'll ignore it to have a rant.

:rolleyes:

Things like this happening and yet it's those diabolical British who are the problem..

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/northern-ireland-explosive-police-officer-b1834452.html

Things like this happening and yet it's those diabolical British who are the problem..

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/northern-ireland-explosive-police-officer-b1834452.html

I don't think anyone here is condoning this.

circadian wrote: »
    No? I don't see how you can reduce it to an image, that's a completely cynical point to make and you know it.

184905985-7eb9ff6a-9243-45ac-8754-0484bcc458cd.jpg

Someone was defending Arlene over the above earlier in the thread.

So which is it? Being pictured with terrorists is open to interpretation and context or it's just a straight up they're a bad person?

Jaysus, just wait til he hears about this one....private meeting and all!

image.jpg

Events like that have been happening since the GFA...what's your point ROb.?

You seem desperate to deflect the thread from what is being discussed...Boris Johnson's lies and lack of care.

Events like that have been happening since the GFA...what's your point ROb.?

You seem desperate to deflect the thread from what is being discussed...Boris Johnson's lies and lack of care.

I thought everyone was in agreement that anythingJohnson utters isn't believable.You would rather continue talking about that with a dismissive 'nothing to see here' regarding a terrorist attempt to murder a police officer.

I thought everyone was in agreement that anythingJohnson utters isn't believable.You would rather continue talking about that with a dismissive 'nothing to see here' regarding a terrorist attempt to murder a police officer.

You have diverted to
    1. Mary Lou
    2. Joe Biden
    3. A dissident attack

in order to deflect away from a discussion about Boris Johnson's lies Rob. None of the three above are related to the thread topic. Boris Johnson's lies most certainly are.

Perhaps you should start a thread on that topic if it is of such great interest to you?

I'd be happy to share my opinion on Dissident Republicans with you on that thread, though it isn't a particularly sophisticated opinion.

Here, on the thread about disturbances in Belfast, which are related to the NI Protocol it seems very much like your attempts to throw Mary Lou McDonald, Joe Biden or Republican dissidents into the mix is an attempt to deflect from a conversation about the much more relevant direct responsibility Boris Johnson actually holds for the current situation. Saying, 'nobody believes him' totally evades the fact that believe him or not, he has a very clear and obvious influence on things currently happening in Belfast, he ultimately is the architect of the NI Protocol from a British standpoint and, perhaps most crucially of all.....he was brought up in the conversation by a poster fully believing Johnson "vows to address ludicrous protocol trade barriers"!

• Advertisement

You have diverted to
    1. Mary Lou
    2. Joe Biden
    3. A dissident attack

in order to deflect away from a discussion about Boris Johnson's lies Rob. None of the three above are related to the thread topic. Boris Johnson's lies most certainly are.

It's ironic that this cowardly attempted attack will probably work in favour of those wanting the protocol streamlined.

Advertisement