Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast Disturbances

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

RobMc59 wrote: »
    It's ironic that this cowardly attempted attack will probably work in favour of those wanting the protocol streamlined.

Before the street violence even started the prblems with the Protocol were identified and are currently being fixed. The 'problem' = Britain's laziness about using the streamlining built into it.

The Protocol is staying and Johnson is again talking out of the side of his mouth when addressing the gullible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Before the street violence even started the prblems with the Protocol were identified and are currently being fixed. The 'problem' = Britain's laziness about using the streamlining built into it.

The Protocol is staying and Johnson is again talking out of the side of his mouth when addressing the gullible.

I'm not disputing that the protocol will stay.I note you've moved from your assertion it won't be 'tweaked' or 'fixed' as you seem to prefer.

I'm not disputing that the protocol will stay.I note you've moved from your assertion it won't be 'tweaked' or 'fixed' as you seem to prefer.

There isn't a difference. All that is happening is accommodation already in the Protocol are being activated.

There's loads of ways of saying the same thing.

Which would make Johnson a liar - something you seem to want to deflect from.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

So are the pictures of him with convicted terrorists fake?

It's Northern Ireland Rob there's convicted and unconvicted terrorists in government on all sides. Boris Johnson himself was supportive of the terrorist soldiers that shot unarmed people on bloody Sunday. That's no difference from someone supporting the Birmingham pub bombings.

There isn't a difference. All that is happening is accommodation already in the Protocol are being activated.

Not really,I've already said I don't believe a word Johnson says.His BS is legendary.Who is disputing that?
    Quite why you want to discuss Johnson being a lier(which we are all aware of)rather than an attempted terrorist attack which will probably spook brussels even more in regards to the protocol is a mystery.

• Advertisement

Not really,I've already said I don't believe a word Johnson says.His BS is legendary.Who is disputing that?
    Quite why you want to discuss Johnson being a lier(which we are all aware of)rather than an attempted terrorist attack which will probably spook brussels even more in regards to the protocol is a mystery.

Because somebody introduced what he said on the Spotlight programme? And tried to make the case that the violence has led to achieving something.

The topic of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,601 ✭✭✭Penfailed

So are the pictures of him with convicted terrorists fake?

Mind that time Martin McGuinness was pictured with the queen?

EDIT - Someone beat me to it.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Boris said a border poll is a long,long time away, so in Boris world is that Wednesday week?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Boris said a border poll is a long,long time away, so in Boris world is that Wednesday week?

Probably not - he'll be too busy enjoying the end of lockdown and having a jolly holiday in India next week. Double-mutated coronaviruses be damned.

• Advertisement

Exactly. He can’t have it both ways.

A number of posters here (can’t remember if you were one) said that all the rules eg about soil entering the Eu were not up for negotiation.
    Whether you like it or not the street violence focused minds and I will predict that many rules which apply to the rest of the world will be eased, no matter what posters here say

downcow wrote: »
    A number of posters here (can’t remember if you were one) said that all the rules eg about soil entering the Eu were not up for negotiation.
    Whether you like it or not the street violence focused minds and I will predict that many rules which apply to the rest of the world will be eased, no matter what posters here say

There were 'easements' within the Protocol already.

Unionism set it's stall out, that's not what they want, they want the Protocol gone and it is not happening. Boris is lying to you, his delegate is over there in Brussels copperfastening it.
    To keep you quiet he has thrown the 'long long time' bone to you as well. You can decide on how trustworthy you want to find that.

Penfailed wrote: »
    Mind that time Martin McGuinness was pictured with the queen?

EDIT - Someone beat me to it.

If you look him up he was only convicted of fairly minor offences,possibly due his status as an alleged British spy.

Probably not - he'll be too busy enjoying the end of lockdown and having a jolly holiday in India next week. Double-mutated coronaviruses be damned.

He`s not going now due to covid situation in India.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

There were 'easements' within the Protocol already.

Unionism set it's stall out, that's not what they want, they want the Protocol gone and it is not happening. Boris is lying to you, his delegate is over there in Brussels copperfastening it.
    To keep you quiet he has thrown the 'long long time' bone to you as well. You can decide on how trustworthy you want to find that.

The 'long, long time' is assuming he will be in power for a long long time. Otherwise he's a spoofer.

downcow wrote: »
    Exactly. He can’t have it both ways.

I`d wager francie is expecting `changes` to the interpretation of the protocol which is why he`s currently pulled his horns in,trying to divert attention to johnson. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If you look him up he was only convicted of fairly minor offences,possibly due his status as an alleged British spy.
    Are you referring to the unsubstantiated claims by Martin Ingram? Even the Irish Times reckons it's bull: https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/mcguinness-smear-does-not-hold-up-1.1012550?mode=amp

I`d wager francie is expecting `changes` to the interpretation of the protocol which is why he`s currently pulled his horns in,trying to divert attention to johnson. :rolleyes:

:):) downcow introduced Johnson to the thread this morning Rob. :):):)

The Protocol is staying...Unionism wants it gone = fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

Boris will quietly back down, and the protocol will be implemented as previously agreed. Remember, the brexit agreement still has to be ratified by the EU.

• Advertisement

Speedline wrote: »
    Boris will quietly back down, and the protocol will be implemented as previously agreed. Remember, the brexit agreement still has to be ratified by the EU.

He has even admitted that he knew when he was telling Unionists that there wouldn't be a border that there would be.

And Unionists are blaming all and sundry and still hanging on his every word. There is loyalty and then there is gullibility.

:):) downcow introduced Johnson to the thread this morning Rob. :):):)

The Protocol is staying...Unionism wants it gone = fail.

That`s fine but the over zealous application which has seen more checks at the NI docks than major ports in France and Holland does seem strange and possibly counter productive.

Speedline wrote: »
    Plus there is still the legal action being taken by the EU against the UK for it's unilateral action on the Northern Ireland Protocol. Johnson doesn't want any hassle as that would mean he would have to do some work.

Are you referring to the unsubstantiated claims by Martin Ingram? Even the Irish Times reckons it's bull: https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/mcguinness-smear-does-not-hold-up-1.1012550?mode=amp

We`ll probably never know the truth,not in our lifetimes anyway.

That`s fine but the over zealous application which has seen more checks at the NI docks than major ports in France and Holland does seem strange and possibly counter productive.
    Is that because more UK goods are crossing the Irish sea than the channel?
    Where is your source on this as I hadn't heard It?

We`ll probably never know the truth,not in our lifetimes anyway.
    So you're admitting to spreading unsubstantiated rumours in order to prove a point?

Reports are that is being exaggerated for political purposes.

It's another Never Never ...well maybe' spat Rob and always was from the get go.

Is that because more UK goods are crossing the Irish sea than the channel?
    Where is your source on this as I hadn't heard It?

I`m still looking for the more up to date article I saw yesterday but this link is the gist of it.

https://www.itv.com/news/utv/2021-03-04/northern-irelands-chief-vet-warns-he-doesnt-have-enough-staff-to-manage-ni-protocol-checks

So you're admitting to spreading unsubstantiated rumours in order to prove a point?

Seth,you must live in a bunker if you`ve never heard that said before!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I`m still looking for the more up to date article I saw yesterday but this link is the gist of it.

https://www.itv.com/news/utv/2021-03-04/northern-irelands-chief-vet-warns-he-doesnt-have-enough-staff-to-manage-ni-protocol-checks
    That particular article is just saying that the checks are burdensome but sure we all warned of this in advance. It doesnt make a comparison that says NI has seen more checks than major ports in France and Holland.

Advertisement