Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast Disturbances

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,160 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Feisar wrote: »
    Fair point as to who’ll represent it however people generally don’t like change.

Edit - actually do those in the republic get a say?

Those in the republic actually constitutionally aspire to a UI, so technically we already have agreed but there will probably be a vote here because we'd never hear the end of it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Jizique

Feisar wrote: »
    Fair point as to who’ll represent it however people generally don’t like change.

Given the way SF try to appeal to all sides and talk out of both sides of their mouth (tax wealth but no property tax, we are green but no carbon tax, no evictions and screw the banks but why are they leaving, apologizing for their highest profile IRA successful attack) they will probably try for this group as well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

So you chose Northern Irish to distinguish yourself from being British...are we not told when it suits that there are 3 identities now?

All sounds very confused tbh.

Lots of people who regard themselves as fully Irish and fully Northern Irish will tick the ni box

Exactly and downcow chose one over the other...the one that represents his Northern Irishness as distinct from Britishness.

Am I doing it right?

No I didn’t.
    I was given no option to pick two boxes ie Brit and ni. I could equally tick either. I could have flipped a coin. I am fully both. The census is a bit crude around this.

It also asked could I speak ‘Ulster Scotch’, which I thought was a whiskey

downcow wrote: »
    Lots of people who regard themselves as fully Irish and fully Northern Irish will tick the ni box

When something is 'full' it is full, there isn't room for anything else. So they are full one or full the other downcow, not full both.

• Advertisement

I was replying to this:

Very high don't know answer there. Probably pandemic related, my opinion would have been at least ten years, before the pandemic hit, 2 to 4 years until a BP is called, 2 years to the poll itself, at least, and then a transition period.
    Pandemic has set that back.

The ira said in 1972 that a united ireland was imminent and Gerry Adams said in 2001 that there would be a UI by 2016.
    You guys remind me of fundamentalist Christians who keep giving us dates for the end of the world.

When something is 'full' it is full, there isn't room for anything else. So they are full one or full the other downcow, not full both.

Nonsense
    Are you fully Irish and fully Ulster (9 counties)

Nonsense
    Are you fully Irish and fully Ulster (9 counties)

Ulster is an identity now? :)

Three recognised identities - Irish - Northern Irish and British

Ulster is an identity now? :)

Three recognised identities - Irish - Northern Irish and British

Well Monaghan if you prefer. I certainly know lots of Catholics who would say they are ‘Down men’

You live in your very simple b&w world.
    Identity is like an onion, with a lot of layers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Interesting article about how the UK is doing all it can to make the protocol work.Also suggests a New Zealand style trusted trader arrangement might be a better fit for all.

https://www.export.org.uk/news/561886/UK-government-praised-by-Northern-Irish-trade-bodies-for-throwing-kitchen-sink-at-NI-Protocol.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 IrishCommunist

My comrades in the Connolly Youth Movement suggested that PSNI harassment in Catholic and Nationalist areas is what they're angry about. Provocative behaviour etc. Similar to the way Garda conduct themselves in certain area codes, such as D24.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Also suggests a New Zealand style trusted trader arrangement might be a better fit for all.

Well ... yeah. That's what the EU proposed for years, but the UK said no, because it requires the UK to guarantee no regression on SPS.

Funny how that article is full of praise for the government only doing now what it should have done throughout the whole of last year ... :rolleyes:

Interesting article about how the UK is doing all it can to make the protocol work.Also suggests a New Zealand style trusted trader arrangement might be a better fit for all.

https://www.export.org.uk/news/561886/UK-government-praised-by-Northern-Irish-trade-bodies-for-throwing-kitchen-sink-at-NI-Protocol.htm

I have been telling you that the UK were being shown how to use the flexibilities in the Protocol as it was meant. It's here to stay.

If only the advocates of staying in the UK would get the finger out and follow suit and accept that.

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/politics/four-ponies-held-at-belfast-port-over-defective-brexit-paperwork-to-be-released-3210545

I have been telling you that the UK were being shown how to use the flexibilities in the Protocol as it was meant. It's here to stay.

If only the advocates of staying in the UK would get the finger out and follow suit and accept that.

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/politics/four-ponies-held-at-belfast-port-over-defective-brexit-paperwork-to-be-released-3210545

You appear to suggest you know stuff the rest of us,including your own Taoiseach does`nt.Perhaps you`d better put him in the picture (that it`s already in the current arrangement)as he seems to think creating bespoke solutions for trusted traders,ironing out bureaucracy for example are positive steps .By all means,continue to make it up as you go along!:rolleyes:

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/northern-ireland/taoiseach-hopeful-over-northern-ireland-protocol-talks-40343905.html

You appear to suggest you know stuff the rest of us,including your own Taoisearch does`nt.Perhaps you`d better put him in the picture (that it`s already in the current arrangement)as he seems to think creating bespoke solutions for trusted traders,ironing out bureaucracy for example are positive steps .By all means,continue to make it up as you go along!:rolleyes:

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/northern-ireland/taoiseach-hopeful-over-northern-ireland-protocol-talks-40343905.html
    creating bespoke solutions for trusted traders,ironing out bureaucracy

All available within the protocol if the UK got off it's arse and negotiated them.

There will be no go areas which is just tough because of Brexit though.

The UK are playing the part they were supposed to now, all we need is Unionism to trot into the party, late as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Also suggests a New Zealand style trusted trader arrangement might be a better fit for all.

The main lesson British people should take from that sentence is that their clown-show of a government has placed them further outside EU trading norms than a country on the other side of the planet.

Jim's behind the times as usual. The UK have the finger out, the Protocol is here to stay. He and the Brexiteers lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

he seems to think creating bespoke solutions for trusted traders,ironing out bureaucracy for example are positive steps

The whole NI Protocol is a bespoke solution, so the Taoiseach is only stating for the benefit of the slow learners what the rest of the world has known about for years.

And as that article quotes, the primary objective at this stage is to re-build trust, something that the Johnson administration has gone out of its way to destroy.

I'm sure we'll see various "solutions" announced over the course of the coming year, and no doubt celebrated by Brexiters as a great victory over the EU ... even though the vast majority (if not all of them) will come about as a result of the UK agreeing to align itself with EU rules. Like Switzerland.

Or New Zealand.

Or Canada.

Or Mexico.

The whole NI Protocol is a bespoke solution, so the Taoiseach is only stating for the benefit of the slow learners what the rest of the world has known about for years.

And as that article quotes, the primary objective at this stage is to re-build trust, something that the Johnson administration has gone out of its way to destroy.

I'm sure we'll see various "solutions" announced over the course of the coming year, and no doubt celebrated by Brexiters as a great victory over the EU ... even though the vast majority (if not all of them) will come about as a result of the UK agreeing to align itself with EU rules. Like Switzerland.

Or New Zealand.

Or Canada.

Or Mexico.

Standard brussels propaganda ,I'd expect better from you Celtic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

88aa5a9708fe10faa3529b8420fc07aa.png

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    I'd love to track the steps of your posting history from, 'neutral remain voter who is curious about Ireland' to, 'rabidly Brexit supporting, unabashedly not neutral', and it appears your next step is to start towards the, 'Sleepy Joe' type tropes. I'm getting my popcorn out for the madness of QAnon posting and claims of US election rigging that could soon follow.

Prophetic stuff Fionn

Rob, the UK have capitulated on the Protocol...it's going nowhere. They shafted Unionists..now it is up to Unionists who they want to invest their futures in.
    They have gotten it wrong since the Anglo Irish Agreement which dictated that they would have to be democrats. They lost that battle, and all the battles since. And they will continue to lose them until they accept they no longer have a veto.

Prophetic stuff Fionn

Lurleen,I've never supported brexit and never claimed to know everything about Ireland.I have improved my knowledge,thanks to other posters on boards in particular.

Rob, the UK have capitulated on the Protocol...it's going nowhere. They shafted Unionists..now it is up to Unionists who they want to invest their futures in.
    They have gotten it wrong since the Anglo Irish Agreement which dictated that they would have to be democrats. They lost that battle, and all the battles since. And they will continue to lose them until they accept they no longer have a veto.

How many times do you need to be told francie?-The UK are the Unionists.
    You position has gone from no change to the protocol to frantically moonwalking saying there is flexibility built into the protocol.
    I see the advantages to NI being in the single market and wanting the protocol streamlined to assist trade isn't unreasonable-I realise this cooperation doesn't suit the agenda of certain groups who would rather see conflict and discord to achieve their ends.

How many times do you need to be told francie?-The UK are the Unionists.
    You position has gone from no change to the protocol to frantically moonwalking saying there is flexibility built into the protocol.
    I see the advantages to NI being in the single market and wanting the protocol streamlined to assist trade isn't unreasonable-I realise this cooperation doesn't suit the agenda of certain groups who would rather see conflict and discord to achieve their ends.

Good point.
    Francie would you like to see the Eu go the extra mile to minimise checks and disruption on entry to Larne and Belfast from gb?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭hometruths

Lurleen,I've never supported brexit and never claimed to know everything about Ireland.I have improved my knowledge,thanks to other posters on boards in particular.

Rob, are you British living in Ireland, or Northern Ireland? Forgive me if you've emntioned it before but I missed it, and just wondering about your viewpoint?

schmittel wrote: »
    Rob, are you British living in Ireland, or Northern Ireland? Forgive me if you've emntioned it before but I missed it, and just wondering about your viewpoint?

British in England of Liverpool Irish descent with an Irish wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

.....that isn't a change of position, Rob. The two statements are perfectly logically compatible.

If there is flexibility built into the protocol, then no changes need to be made to the protocol. This isn't the Gotcha you seem to think it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭hometruths

British in England of Liverpool Irish descent with an Irish wife.

Thanks, helpful for context!

Advertisement