Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast Disturbances

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

That a boy ROb, just ignore the main points the poster made about the fishermen and the UK reneging on a deal. And why they shouldn't be trusted.

No ones reneging on any deals,the UK issues licenses to those who meet the criteria,the days of a fishing free for all have gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Interesting group of signatories to this letter.
    Unfortunately the lessons have been learnt that violence works.
    The crocodiles need fed
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/johnson-warned-in-letter-action-is-needed-now-on-northern-ireland-1.4547246%3fmode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

downcow wrote: »
    The crocodiles need fed
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/johnson-warned-in-letter-action-is-needed-now-on-northern-ireland-1.4547246%3fmode=amp

A bunch of people writing a letter saying that the Tories don't give a sh*t about the people of NI? Sure we've been telling you that for ages. I expect it will achieve about as much as everything else the PUL community have tried so far with regards to the NI Protocol....I.e. nothing at all.

The lessons have been learned that violence works? Well it isn't working Downcow, no matter how much you give your tacit approval for the current shambles.

I'll highlight from the letter to close;
    adding that Downing Street “must be honest” with loyalists and unionists that there is likely no alternative to the Northern Ireland protocol.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The crocodiles need fed

We've had this type of violent stamping of feet for years since the GFA and what has it achieved downcow? Less of your flag on show and less places to parade. Well done them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

We've had this type of violent stamping of feet for years since the GFA and what has it achieved downcow? Less of your flag on show and less places to parade. Well done them!

In fairness, they also managed to be the final straw that led to me leaving the North with the Twaddell Avenue, 'peace camp' in 2013; could probably count that as an achievement for some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Drove through New Buildings yesterday, they were flying the Para’s flag. Derry just down the road. Tells me all I want to know about unionism.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,601 ✭✭✭Penfailed

maccored wrote: »
    Drove through New Buildings yesterday, they were flying the Para’s flag. Derry just down the road. Tells me all I want to know about unionism.

They've been there for years. They eventually get tattered and are replaced with fresh ones. To be fair, they wouldn't have the support of most unionists. They don't even have the support of the parachute regiment.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

The crocodiles need fed

The irony after the DUP introduced the return to violence rhetoric to the whole Brexit debate when they implied there would be nationalist violence due to Sinn Féin being sidelined during the negotiations.

Have you stopped beating the drum that Leo was to blame for introducing the return to violence rhetoric yet?

maccored wrote: »

All sides are at it. My local village has a permanent memorial to those who murdered my community, some within 100 yards of the memorial.
    We just have to try and rise above it all

The irony after the DUP introduced the return to violence rhetoric to the whole Brexit debate when they implied there would be nationalist violence due to Sinn Féin being sidelined during the negotiations.

Have you stopped beating the drum that Leo was to blame for introducing the return to violence rhetoric yet?

I never said Leo introduced it - he just joined in the chorus

• Advertisement

Must say,I was watching a replay of the westminister NI affairs committee discussing the protocol
    Everyone including experts had positive suggestions on how to make it work better EXCEPT Ian Paisley junior
    He kept saying the same line 'But you'd accept its not light touch'
    He must have interjected with that line about 10 times even after one of the experts said the constituent business example Paisley brought up was filling in the paperwork all wrong
    Paisley must have known this but he still went on with the same line
    It was embarrassing
    I just got the poison vibes off him and frankly so must everyone else,it was toxic

Where was god when an Irish Sea border happened? :) Does this mean god is a UIer? :)

https://twitter.com/AndrewEQuinn/status/1386695866183045120

The DUP brethren are neandrathal mostly calvinists,what else could anyone expect
    Nationalist's,people from the 26 counties and Roman catholics are heathen who's souls need saving in their view
    Of course the majority of them are hyocrites,riding like rabbits and drinking of a sunday
    Thats what you're dealing with

I never said Leo introduced it - he just joined in the chorus
    Well unfortunately it is just more evidence the the threat of violence works.
    Roi bigged up the violence should there be a border in Ireland, and it worked 100%
    Now loyalists are bigging up the chances of ni violent conflict restarting and everyone is changing the ‘suck it up’ language.

Except you got the order wrong there. The DUP started the violence talk long before the Irish Government mentioned. I guess I'll post this again. In Sammy's own suck it up language. https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2017/dup-claims-anti-brexit-stance-will-help-to-encourage-dissident-violence-35719183.html

Oh I agree boris cut us off - but he gave in to Eu/Roi nonsense about threat of violence and damage to gfa. Watch the violence and damage to gfa going forward.

So you'll agree that it's not good idea to give in to Unionist threats of violence now then. Two wrongs don't make a right. Good stuff. All cleared up.

Where was god when an Irish Sea border happened? :) Does this mean god is a UIer? :)

https://twitter.com/AndrewEQuinn/status/1386695866183045120

Lol. We agree at last

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

According to the recent LucidTalk polling 95% of Nationalist/Republican voters, 82% of Alliance/Green/Others voters, and 11% of Unionist voters want MLA's to vote to stay in the EU single market in 3 years time.

This is what all the trouble is really about, the loss of Unionist majority and control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

If Unionists were confident in their links to the U.K. there wouldn't have been any disturbances.
    They know they can't trust the Tories without having to give them a poke.

Shebean wrote: »
    If Unionists were confident in their links to the U.K. there wouldn't have been any disturbances.
    They know they can't trust the Tories without having to give them a poke.

Again complete misunderstanding. What do you mean by ‘links to the UK’. That’s like saying to a Galway person that they are not confident about their ‘links to ireland’.
    I just don’t know which bit of ‘we are the UK’ that you don’t understand.
    Glasgow, London and Cardiff are just as much, and no more, the UK as Belfast

Indeed the UK would not exist without us. The clue is in the name. The UK of gb and ni. I really appreciate gb for their commitment to us

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭briany

According to the recent LucidTalk polling 95% of Nationalist/Republican voters, 82% of Alliance/Green/Others voters, and 11% of Unionist voters want MLA's to vote to stay in the EU single market in 3 years time.

That's alright, but it's worth pointing out that 3 years is a hell of a lot of time for events to happen. I don't mean that in any ominous way regarding the attempts at coercion by certain elements in the Loyalist community, but more the economic situation. We have no reliable way of predicting how things will stand that far out, but my guess is that the vote of the middle of the road people will be influenced by what's best for their pocketbook.

This may be hard for certain Loyalists who're spoiling for a fight, but my suggestion to them, if they want rid of the sea border, is put down the petrol bomb, and pick up a pen, and write down 10 reasons why it's economically insensible to have the intra-UK border, and then start knocking on doors, close to the time of the next Assembly election.

briany wrote: »
    That's alright, but it's worth pointing out that 3 years is a hell of a lot of time for events to happen. I don't mean that in any ominous way regarding the attempts at coercion by certain elements in the Loyalist community, but more the economic situation. We have no reliable way of predicting how things will stand that far out, but my guess is that the vote of the middle of the road people will be influenced by what's best for their pocketbook.

This may be hard for certain Loyalists who're spoiling for a fight, but my suggestion to them, if they want rid of the sea border, is put down the petrol bomb, and pick up a pen, and write down 10 reasons why it's economically insensible to have the intra-UK border, and then start knocking on doors, close to the time of the next Assembly election.

The problem is that they have watched Leo and Irish nationalists raise the threat of violence, very successfully. Why would they use rational argument when Leo achieved success by pointing out that the ira would turn violent if there was a border where nationalists didn’t want it?

• Advertisement

The problem is that they have watched Leo and Irish nationalists raise the threat of violence, very successfully. Why would they use rational argument when Leo achieved success by pointing out that the ira would turn violent if there was a border where nationalists didn’t want it?

Spurious rubbish. There is a difference between those orchestrating 'the violence' threatening violence and those concerned about violence.
    Look what the DUP were at, inventing terror threats and winding up young idiots to go onto the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭briany

You're talking like the sole reason for the sea border is down to Varadkar expressing concerns over dissident violence at the proposed border, but ignoring that NI business leaders expressed support for the original backstop idea or that a majority of MLAs wrote to Donald Tusk expressing their support of same, and the original backstop idea didn't even have a mechanism for NI to unilaterally opt out of the sea border, so it was arguably a worse idea from the Unionist perspective than the current implementation. So, you may have to contemplate the idea that there's actually a mandate for what's currently being imposed.

This is not even to mention Westminster's perspective, looking at the problem and going, "What's easier to make work? 300 border crossings, or Larne to Stranraer?"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Your little Protestant/Unionist ethno-state was cleaved off the rest of the country by the threat of Unionist terrorism and British war.

Cry me a river.

Remember who brought violence related to brexit up in the first place. It wasn't the Irish government.

When someone is pointing the finger there's three pointing back at themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭circadian

You have to be on the wind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,686 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

5 Posters have responded to this before me, I just want to reiterate what they have said and that there is a big difference between pointing out that something is likely to happen, as Leo did, and those who are actively now using violent tactics to excite unrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

5 Posters have responded to this before me, I just want to reiterate what they have said and that there is a big difference between pointing out that something is likely to happen, as Leo did, and those who are actively now using violent tactics to excite unrest.

Explain what you are saying?
    Are you saying that republicans were going to start killing us again if there was a border around the UK, and that Leo just pointed that out, out of the goodness of his heart?
    And are you saying loyalists were going to maintain the peace even if there was a border established in the UK isolating ni from the rest, and that unionist politicians have told them to be violent?

You guys need to take off the prejudiced blinkers and accept a little reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

And are you saying loyalists were going to maintain the peace even if there was a border established in the UK isolating ni from the rest, and that unionist politicians have told them to be violent?

'We will fight guerrilla warfare against this, until the big battle opportunity comes'. Sammy Wilson.

• Advertisement

'We will fight guerrilla warfare against this, until the big battle opportunity comes'. Sammy Wilson.

That wasn’t the question lurleen. But I guess you know that.

Advertisement