Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast Disturbances

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭briany

schmittel wrote: »
    Something tells me that a) the Brits don't give a damn if angry loyalists burn up Northern Ireland and b) that doesn't matter anyway, because we down South are the intended audience

I know I'm asking way too much, here, but it would be fairer if at least a bit of that anger and vitriol were directed toward Johnson and the Tories who agreed to the deal while simultaneously giving false assurances that there would be no sea border.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,657 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://twitter.com/DUPleader/status/1379885970103877634

Calling SF the real criminals while referencing a video with criminals in it...she can never resist a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Calling SF the real criminals while referencing a video with criminals in it...she can never resist a shot.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭hometruths

briany wrote: »
    I know I'm asking way too much, here, but it would be fairer if at least a bit of that anger and vitriol were directed toward Johnson and the Tories who agreed to the deal while simultaneously giving false assurances that there would be no sea border.

Absolutely no doubt about that, but most loyalists know Johnson and co don't care.

I suspect the loyalists paramilitary leadership are not as stupid as the DUP, and they realise banging on to the Brits about the precious Union will not stave off a United Ireland, their best chance is reminding the pragmatists down south that they are a particularly unpleasant bunch.

A lot of pragmatists down south will be inclined to vote against a UI if it means having to welcome these thugs and their 'culture'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

https://twitter.com/DUPleader/status/1379885970103877634

Neale Richmond seems to agree that setting a bus on fire and near murder as equivalent to attending a funeral. He's questions to answer now.

https://twitter.com/Timmy48940029/status/1379900235976171526?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Can't see too well but hope the Driver was allowed to get away unharmed, quite possibly he legged it and in drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭livia21

Not looking good.Just seen vids of them firing petrol bombs at the peace wall.

livia21 wrote: »

They are a tiny representation of the unionist community thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

schmittel wrote: »
    Something tells me that a) the Brits don't give a damn if angry loyalists burn up Northern Ireland and b) that doesn't matter anyway, because we down South are the intended audience

It's about the PSNI taking their drugs off them. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭maccored

livia21 wrote: »

im amazed they managed to make some without burning themselves

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

McMurphy wrote: »
    They are a tiny representation of the unionist community thankfully.

Again, I am seeing a dismissal of these events, a familiar line.
    And it would suit the narrative of nationalists to treat any loyalist violence as such in any possible united Ireland.

A crime is a crime is a crime.
    Deafened to the political voice underlying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭briany

igCorcaigh wrote: »

I don't think the people behind it care. The (ostensible) objective is create chaos that cannot be ignored and force the protocol to be reconsidered.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,159 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

And it would suit the narrative of nationalists to treat any loyalist violence as such in any possible united Ireland.

Their violence was ignored and the Anglo Irish agreement stood, their violence was ignored and the GFA stood, as did legislation on flags and parades. Because that violence was ignored it has been neutered more and more. Now all they can muster is a handful of teenagers and no hopers flinging missiles. Ignore it again, don't allow it to achieve anything and you neuter it some more.

They'll all get the message sooner or later. Many of them have already.

Lol, if you think I'm giving them a pass of some sort, you're obviously not familiar with my posts on matters such as this. :)

I'm merely saying these scrotes aren't the face of moderate unionists who want nothing to do with this crowd.

Was up to me, they'd be getting blasted up the road with water cannons like them yokes at the bottom of the urinals. Round up the most unruly of them, with the ones carrying out acts of violence straight to courts next morning where a zero tolerance approach should be taken, with mandatory sentencing for endangering lives etc. That'll soon soften their coughs.

OK lads.
    I understand.

I just think that these things cannot be dismissed.
    I also don't see a way of undoing the NI protocol.

And here, down South, there is silly naïve talk about flags.

Small sparks can create big fires.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Who are these young scamps?

What's their beef?

Trading arrangements?

Who are these young scamps?

What's their beef?

Trading arrangements?

Fear of being abandoned in a political culture that does not represent their heritage and identity.
    As they perceive it.

But, I don't really know.
    I cannot speak for them.

I am not of the PUL tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Unbelievable the silence from RTÉ, the Irish media and FF/FG

Could you imagine if a bus heading to a Protestant area in Belfast was fire bombed by the others? they’d be lining up on Twitter to condemn and blame SF

Neale Richmond is some tool

Let’s face it FF/FG are essentially DUP allies

This isn't anything to do with SF attending a funeral. It's just thugs that were probably put up to this by older scum. In the link it says the youngest was 13 years old? Do you think that 13 year old was upset by people not social distancing at Bobby Storeys funeral? Come off it like!!

https://news.sky.com/story/bus-set-on-fire-and-photographer-attacked-in-disorder-in-belfast-ahead-of-emergency-meeting-12268767

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Serious escalation tonight.

Up until tonight it was Loyalists v Police

Tonight it has become sectarian.

Dangerous few days lie ahead.

Grim

• Advertisement

This isn't anything to do with SF attending a funeral. It's just thugs that were probably put up to this by older scum. In the link it says the youngest was 13 years old? Do you think that 13 year old was upset by people not social distancing at Bobby Storeys funeral? Come off it like!!

https://news.sky.com/story/bus-set-on-fire-and-photographer-attacked-in-disorder-in-belfast-ahead-of-emergency-meeting-12268767

It is certainly orchestrated by older types.
    Just goes to show the power they have.
    Same with the nationalist/catholic side.

This is a press release from the Workers' Party of Northern Ireland:

'The warning signs are already clear, the well-rehearsed arguments are converging and the battle lines have been drawn. We are facing a very difficult, and potentially very dangerous 12 month period.'

https://workerspartyelection.wordpress.com/2021/04/05/bad-moon-rising/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Why or what is the reason for the current violence?

Bizarre. They are discussing Arlene's tweet now on the Tonight show and Neale Richmond was allowed leave without being asked why he liked it.

Their political leaders and people like Nolan have been telling them they are 'angry' for weeks. They are being angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The only thing I know for sure is that if you asked the "youths" rioting that they wouldn't have the faintest idea.

More likely drugs related than anything political to be honest. Unfortunately once it becomes sectarian then how or why it started is irrelevant to all involved.

I have answered this question already, from the way I view it, but I will leave it up to other posters to give their perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The Northern Ireland centenary commemorations on the horizon too in the coming weeks.

Bizarre. They are discussing Arlene's tweet now on the Tonight show and Neale Richmond was allowed leave without being asked why he liked it.

Neale has removed his like from the tweet now, and claimed he liked it "by accident as he scrolled past".

After he took on board all the negative feedback he was recieving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'd say 80% of the morons font even know what actual fighters fought for for their freedom.....

Scum breed scum unfortunately and crime such as drugs seems to be the main cause of most of any troubles....

Absolutely have no time for drug dealers or those contributing to the cycle.

Advertisement