Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does your address affect job applications?

Options
  • 03-04-2021 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭

As per title - do you reckon your address is a factor in a CV getting filed in the bin at first glance if it's an address in the rougher parts of Tallaght, Coolock etc.

I'm thinking fairly senior (middle management Public Sector) professional jobs c.€70K territory but I don't want to stymie the conversation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

As per title - do you reckon your address is a factor in a CV getting filed in the bin at first glance if it's an address in the rougher parts of Tallaght, Coolock etc.

I'm thinking fairly senior (middle management Public Sector) professional jobs c.€70K territory but I don't want to stymie the conversation.

Unless they're from the area, how would an employer know where the rougher parts are?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Hoboo wrote: »
    Unless they're from the area, how would an employer know where the rougher parts are?

I'd say the majority of people have heard of Jobstown, Darndale etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Just don't put your address on your CV. I have asked in the past, during the interview stage, if the location is suitable for commuting, but where somebody lives isn't a consideration outside of logistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Your address is not important to be on a CV in 2021. If you feel like you must put down a county only.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,538 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

House pricing has put an end to a lot of it, a potential employer might though do a Google Street View search to see your house didn't resemble a rundown drugs den.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭onrail

No, but using affect/effect correctly would.

(Sorry - I couldn't resist)

onrail wrote: »
    No, but using affect/effect correctly would.

(Sorry - I couldn't resist)

No worries it gave me a chuckle - I'm dyslexic and no matter how much I try I can never get that one bloody right.

House pricing has put an end to a lot of it, a potential employer might though do a Google Street View search to see your house didn't resemble a rundown drugs den.

Reckon it was an issue back in the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,538 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Reckon it was an issue back in the day?

I think during the 80's when some of these areas would have been maybe 80-90% council houses yes. The government basically picked areas on a map and 4-5k houses were bundled together with no basic facilities like shops, schools, nearbye jobs, facilities for sport, etc so were doomed to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

An issue 30 years ago but nowadays not at all

Even the most prestigious address may have Part V housing while an unfashionable address is full of hard workers like yourself. Well it was always full of hard workers but a minority pulled it down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Im from a working class area.

A few years ago, I was going through cvs and someone applied for a job who was from the same area. I didn't know the person personally.

On the cv they put what would be regarded as a more upmarket area which is beside the area where I'm from as their address on their cv.

I put the cv through the shredder.

It can work both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

For entry level jobs in certain sectors I suspect certain addresses are toxic, from a blaming everyone for the sins of the few perspective.

For a 70k job the main concern is likely to be that you can practically make the commute - if it even has one anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ten years ago, it was definitely an issue for some addresses and some jobs in Galway. Probably not 70k jobs, and not govt jobs.

I don't have any recent evidence either way.

I dunno about entry level jobs. If they show enthusiasm and interest, amazing start.
    Manager jobs, if you pass the hr "not a weirdo" interview, then it's cv and interview questions backing it up. Again interest in the role.
    May I ask, you can tell me to feck off if you wish, are you worried about an accent?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Sue de Nimes

Im from a working class area.

A few years ago, I was going through cvs and someone applied for a job who was from the same area. I didn't know the person personally.

On the cv they put what would be regarded as a more upmarket area which is beside the area where I'm from as their address on their cv.

I put the cv through the shredder.

It can work both ways.

30 years ago Ballymum was the smallest part of Dublin. It was amazing how far Glasnevin, Santry, Finglas all stretched into it. I don't even think the Ballymun Towers were in Ballymun.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Public sector as in civil service or such? No idea why but I imagine it might be 5% more applicable than in private sector but realistically I can’t see it being more than 1% of the consideration. Back in the late 80s/90s, I would certainly say there was a level of bias in Dublin addresses for professional jobs at entry level, you rarely saw people from Coolock, Darndale, Tallaght etc in professional jobs but they were there. That was a time when university entry was still less common. It didn’t matter to culchies like me. One of my best friends back then was from Coolock, child of a skilled manual worker. She got in and outshone others and has had a successful career.

Nowadays, I see plenty of new grads etc with what might be regarded as marginal Dublin addresses and much fewer of the Blackrock/Michael’s/Gonzaga type backgrounds than would have been common back then.

But Sam, as you are English, you’d have a much bigger handicap/advantage (delete as appropriate) than your address.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm in the civil service, mid managment and from Coolock. I'm not at the pay point you mentioned but I will be. My PO is from the flats in Ballymun and our last A. Sec was from the North inner city. Safe to say it has no bearing.

If anything it'd be more applicable in the private sector where the hiring and firing is more likely to be based on someone's impression rather than a quantifiable basis like the civil or public service.

It's never proved a barrier for me in any job but I've a degree,work experience and professional qualifications that form the basis of my interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Awkwardstroke

Thankfully the civil service recruitment process doesn’t discriminate on addresses like the poster below mentioned with excellent examples
    I'm in the civil service, mid managment and from Coolock. I'm not at the pay point you mentioned but I will be. My PO is from the flats in Ballymun and our last A. Sec was from the North inner city. Safe to say it has no bearing.

If anything it'd be more applicable in the private sector where the hiring and firing is more likely to be based on someone's impression rather than a quantifiable basis like the civil or public service.

It's never proved a barrier for me in any job but I've a degree,work experience and professional qualifications that form the basis of my interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭brio09

for any white collar job, i don't see a reason to put your address in your resume. the point of giving your coordinates in the resume / CV is for people to be able to contact you. which can be done via phone, email, linkedin, or personal website. not via snail mail. so i'd suggest not worrying about it and not writing it in yoru resume / CV.

I echo the previous posters(whom put it in a far superior way than I). The only time the company needs your address is when contracts are signed and they're setting up your employee profile. What is far more important is to get your bic/iban details correct!

• Advertisement

Just a couple of points: It's not actually me :). In this Public Sector area (not Civil Service) it's generally cover letter, CV and application form which sometimes require address, but point taken it's not really an issue these days. Thanks to everyone for the input, mind put at rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I'd say the majority of people have heard of Jobstown, Darndale etc.

I have but I are they parts of coolock or tallaght? I thought darndale was a postal area, darndale d17? When you said areas I thought you meant estates, which unless you're from the area, you wouldn't know. Would you know the bad areas of kilkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I think certainly now the commute would be the big factor relating to the address - is there a reliable way for them to get into work without being late or missing from their desk every morning, do they have to spend 4 hours on a bus to and from Wexford in which case it’ll only be a matter of time before you are back on the treadmill of recruiting and training again, willthey expect to be treated differently and ve absent to work from home because they don’t want to do their commute (pre-covid) and if in the city (Dublin) will they have to park & pay onstreet or will they expect for the company to have or pay for an on-campus car park space for them.

All big factors in hiring - all relevant to the address.

I’d also now be asking if they were legally able to be insured and to legally drive in Ireland for company fleets and to satsify job driving/availability offsite needs - and looking for proof in advance of progressing - unless they were exceptional and had very rare skills and qualifications. You cannot work most jobs and expect to arrive to do a presentation or saleaputcg or meet & greet at conferences and rock up on a city bike crumpled, smelling of BO and covered in mud & road filth up your back..

Definately either car & lrish license/non-lerner restricted permit & own history of Irish insurance and commute huge factors in hiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I think certainly now the commute would be the big factor relating to the address - is there a reliable way for them to get into work without being late or missing from their desk every morning, do they have to spend 4 hours on a bus to and from Wexford in which case it’ll only be a matter of time before you are back on the treadmill of recruiting and training again, willthey expect to be treated differently and ve absent to work from home because they don’t want to do their commute (pre-covid) and if in the city (Dublin) will they have to park & pay onstreet or will they expect for the company to have or pay for an on-campus car park space for them.

All big factors in hiring - all relevant to the address.

I’d also now be asking if they were legally able to be insured and to legally drive in Ireland for company fleets and to satsify job driving/availability offsite needs - and looking for proof in advance of progressing - unless they were exceptional and had very rare skills and qualifications. You cannot work most jobs and expect to arrive to do a presentation or saleaputcg or meet & greet at conferences and rock up on a city bike crumpled, smelling of BO and covered in mud & road filth up your back..

Definately either car & lrish license/non-lerner restricted permit & own history of Irish insurance and commute huge factors in hiring.

Any HR person with half a brain will know not to make assumptions about this. The address used for an application is meaningless. Lots of non-Dubliners will use their 'home' address for all correspondence rather than the shared accommodation where they live. People may be applying for the job in the expectation of moving house if they are successful. And strangely enough, it is possible to cycle with having BO or mud or road filth. Lots of people do it all the time. That's why the Dublin Bikes schemes was one of the most successful schemes in the world on usage rates, pre-Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Any HR person with half a brain will know not to make assumptions about this. The address used for an application is meaningless. Lots of non-Dubliners will use their 'home' address for all correspondence rather than the shared accommodation where they live. People may be applying for the job in the expectation of moving house if they are successful. And strangely enough, it is possible to cycle with having BO or mud or road filth. Lots of people do it all the time. That's why the Dublin Bikes schemes was one of the most successful schemes in the world on usage rates, pre-Covid.

As I said - as someone who sat on panels recruiting for multiple NGO’s and directly - commute and ability to drive legally and present professionally for work in a timely and non distance restricted way were essential factors.
    I’m not talking about students or toursits on the lash or waitressing/events roles but senior management ones.

No car, lengthy or difficult commute - no interview. Simples.

No car, lengthy or difficult commute - no interview. Simples.

I don't drive, hasn't stopped me. Although I do somewhat agree with you on the commute times(45 mins into Dublin cc here).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I don't drive, hasn't stopped me. Although I do somewhat agree with you on the commute times(45 mins into Dublin cc here).

In the past, I've recruited for roles which that would be an issue for: the job involved regular trips to a large city two hour flight away.

If you couldn't drive, then you being there would cost a small fortune in taxis instead of a manageable amount in car rental. So, nope, we wouldn't have hired .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

IMHO definitely not in Public Service I was that guy and my one time boss was from same background and rose to the top level. Perhaps they would see that you have to be even better than normal to come from a 'poor neighbourhood'.
    Best of luck if you are competing for such a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭brio09

Just a couple of points: It's not actually me :). In this Public Sector area (not Civil Service) it's generally cover letter, CV and application form which sometimes require address, but point taken it's not really an issue these days. Thanks to everyone for the input, mind put at rest.
    ah interesting. i would curious to understand the "generally expected" vs "required" sometime

• Advertisement

If you couldn't drive, then you being there would cost a small fortune in taxis instead of a manageable amount in car rental. So, nope, we wouldn't have hired .

That's fair enough. But I'd definitely pay the price for talent. Short term pain and all that.
    Anyways, while an interesting discussion and I'd like to continue, getting away from the OP.
    Don't worry about your address!

Advertisement