Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does your address affect job applications?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I live in Dublin 5 all my life. I never had any issues as I lived on the "right" side of tracks, so to speak. I do know in the 70s, 80s & 90s that people from other parts of Dublin 5 had problems with jobs. People from Kilbarrack, Donaghmede etc used Raheny as their address.
    I can only assume that it still goes on today. In fact on another thread a few years ago I mentioned a barrister that grew up in a council house. One poster totally refused to believe that this could be remotely possible. So yes postal address discrimination must still exist

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

In the past, I've recruited for roles which that would be an issue for: the job involved regular trips to a large city two hour flight away.

If you couldn't drive, then you being there would cost a small fortune in taxis instead of a manageable amount in car rental. So, nope, we wouldn't have hired .

I don't think anyone has any difficulty with a requirement to drive for certain roles. Mind you, I've generally found taxis to be the far better option in visiting other cities - no delays at the airports on arrival, no delays looking for parking, no parking costs at destination or (potentially very heavy) parking costs at hotels, no getting lost, no driving on the wrong side of the road.

As I said - as someone who sat on panels recruiting for multiple NGO’s and directly - commute and ability to drive legally and present professionally for work in a timely and non distance restricted way were essential factors.

No car, lengthy or difficult commute - no interview. Simples.

Assuming that the address on the application is the address that the person will be commuting from is foolish. Sounds like you ruled out many potentially good candidates - poor outcomes from any recruiter. Assuming that someone who drives is also able to present professionally is fairly dodgy too.

Advertisement