Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovations - Builder or contractors

Options
  • 03-04-2021 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi. Im a first time buyer and bought a house that needs rennovation work and was wondering, from people's experience, is it better to hire a builder to do all the required work or hire contractors for the individual work? The house needs re-wiring, re-plumbing, new kitchen, internal insulation, a wall knocked here and there. I was thinking of sesrching for an electrician, plumber etc but then thought if it could work out cheaper / less hassle to get a builder in to do it all. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Try finding a builder today can be hard and expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

Just don't do what I did - hire a guy on a day rate until the job was done. Silly in retrospect but I was young and naive. Get a price agreed upfront and get as much as possible in writing beforehand. Leave no room for small misinterpretations.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Scheduling could be your problem having individual ones as if say the plumber is a few days late then the electrician for tomorrow will be unable to do his bit and he might not be available for 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 9 CorkGunJonny

Scheduling could be your problem having individual ones as if say the plumber is a few days late then the electrician for tomorrow will be unable to do his bit and he might not be available for 3 weeks

Good point. And with a builder you can avoid those complications?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 CorkGunJonny

Try finding a builder today can be hard and expensive.

I see lots of people getting building work done at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The house needs re-wiring, re-plumbing, new kitchen, internal insulation, a wall knocked here and there.
    You need independent advice on what comes first, tbh.

Plenty of cowboys will bleed you dry. Deposit up front, sure, but not the entire amount. Have phases that when reached, you pay. Have seen too many stories of people dropping the full amount, and the builder either going belly up half way through, or looking for more money at a later stage.

Advertisement