Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Currant bush Leaf damage

Options
  • 03-04-2021 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭

These are 3 year old plants. 2 red and 2 black currant.

Lat year I had a green and white fly problem when soapy water failed to resolve so sprayed with an insecticide. Later in the year some of the leaves on one particular plant curled up, went brown \ black, ans fell off. It really stunted the plant.

Once the plant shed leaves I was very careful to remove and this winter I collected every single leaf.

This year the damage is already showing on fresh leaves.

Any advice appreciated

20210402_174655.jpg

20210402_174628.jpg

20210402_174624.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Deub

It could be aphids : https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/fruitarticles/blackcurrants/blackcurrant-pest.php

Do you see small insects under the leaves?
    Maybe apply the chemical product now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Deub wrote: »
    It could be aphids : https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/fruitarticles/blackcurrants/blackcurrant-pest.php

Do you see small insects under the leaves?
    Maybe apply the chemical product now.

Sorry been off line for a while. Thank's for the suggestion. Had a look yesterday and there are definitely aphids on the rear of the leaves. Have sprayed and will see what happens although reading up I'm probably too late. Should have done it as soon as I saw buds.

Will know for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭macraignil

knipex wrote: »
    Sorry been off line for a while. Thank's for the suggestion. Had a look yesterday and there are definitely aphids on the rear of the leaves. Have sprayed and will see what happens although reading up I'm probably too late. Should have done it as soon as I saw buds.

Will know for next year.

Applying insecticide to your garden will kill off ladybirds, lacewing, hoverflies and other predator insects that would keep your aphid problem under control naturally.

Advertisement