Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rikand Walrus V2.0 Reveal Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

A 19 minute intermission?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

ShaneU wrote: »
    A 19 minute intermission?

It gets better around 9 minutes when the guitars pick up :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm just in time it seems!

tenor.gif

Rikand's house ;)

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

The act I picked for this round are singing at this year's eurovision

• Advertisement

Sawduck wrote: »
    The act I picked for this round are singing at this year's eurovision

*opens Eurovision Surlaw ratings spreadsheet and wonders...
    I like a few of these. In the 21st century I feel (in Ireland) Eurovision has a bad rep for the act, and vice versa, but in other places that is not so...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

ari101 wrote: »
    *opens Eurovision Surlaw ratings spreadsheet and wonders...
    I like a few of these. In the 21st century I feel (in Ireland) Eurovision has a bad rep for the act, and vice versa, but in other places that is not so...?

I enjoy a bit of eurovision cheese, it's not as popular here as it once was probably because we once sent a singing turkey

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I think the kids put Rikand to bed instead

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

ShaneU wrote: »
    I think the kids put Rikand to bed instead

It was close for a while....

Anyways, I'm back to continue the reveal :)

in 14th place, scoring 2 points

Alice in Chains - Frogs : Submitted by
    Sephiroth_Dude

I do like a bit of Alice in Chains normally and so when I saw the submission, I was extremely hopeful as I love Heaven Beside you and Them Bones. But this just did nothing for me at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

awww crap :-/

in 13th place, scoring 3 points

Saturn - Sleeping at last :: Submitted by
    osh

I feel really bad about placing this one in 13th because the intro is beautiful. Its like something out of Lord of the Rings and the video effects all kind of replicate the magic of it all for me but half way through, the vocal comes in and the vocal just ruined the whole atmosphere and enjoyment of the song for me. Without the vocal, this pushes top 5 easy for me, but I just did not like the vocal at all

in 12th place, scoring 4 points

The Louvin Brothers - Satan is real - submitted by
    Arghus

Definitely hits the spiritual checkboxes of a sort. The spoken word bit is like Arlo Guthrie's Alices Restaurant but not as good as the restaurant or even on the same street as the restaurant but perhaps on a street somewhere where there is a restaurant and if you just happen to find yourself sitting at a restaurant and its not called Alices restaurant then you might just hear Satan is Real. And its okay. Not great, but okay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Well, I've resigned myself to the wooden spoon. Even after enlisting the support of the dark Lord.

In 11th place, scoring 5 points

Machine Head - Hallowed Be Thy Name :: Submitted by
    SineadSpears

I do like a bitta Maiden and metal and heavy stuff in general. Big fan of Slayer. I always admire how they can absolutely mosh their heads to get the hair going and still pull off the amazing high intensity music. I just, while the lyrics were spiritual of sorts and I did enjoy the song, I struggled with it as a category fit and maybe I was expecting to hear something more down tempo so this didnt score so well. It may have scored better in a different category :)

Arghus wrote: »
    Well, I've resigned myself to the wooden spoon. Even after enlisting the support of the dark Lord.

I hope you didnt sell your soul for it.... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Rikand wrote: »
    In 11th place, scoring 5 points

Machine Head - Hallowed Be Thy Name :: Submitted by
    SineadSpears

I do like a bitta Maiden and metal and heavy stuff in general. Big fan of Slayer. I always admire how they can absolutely mosh their heads to get the hair going and still pull off the amazing high intensity music. I just, while the lyrics were spiritual of sorts and I did enjoy the song, I struggled with it as a category fit and maybe I was expecting to hear something more down tempo so this didnt score so well. It may have scored better in a different category :)

I like this but the Cradle of Filth version is even better.

In 10th place, scoring 6 points

M83 - Wait : Submitted by
    Necro

This was "nice". That's actually the only word I have written down beside it on my notes. It's just nice :)

I hope you didnt sell your soul for it.... :eek:

That was sold a long time ago!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I've no idea what spiritual means in music terms so this was my best stab at the category :pac:

Just happy I didn't finish last!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Necro wrote: »
    I've no idea what spiritual means in music terms so this was my best stab at the category :pac:

Just happy I didn't finish last!

Any music can be spiritual if you worship it...

giphy.gif

In 9th Place, scoring 7 points

Enigma - Return to Innocence : Submitted by
    JP Liz V1

It's classic hits time and this is an all time classic! Excellent category fit and a great song, just lower in the rankings because I've heard it too much and there was stuff ahead of it that I hadnt heard before that I really loved :)

Speaking of metal musicians being able to headbang furiously while playing, I know that Tom Araya from Slayer has severe neck problems these days from approximately four decades of headbangin' away, one of the reasons he called it a day I believe. And Jason Newstead's neck was fcked after he left Metallica.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Any music can be spiritual if you worship it...

I just imagined it was music you listened to whilst on disco biscuits or something like that :D

monophy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Necro wrote: »
    I just imagined it was music you listened to whilst on disco biscuits or something like that :D

giphy.gif

In 8th place, scoring 8 points

Hooverphonic - Eden :: Submitted by
    Sawduck

not bad at all - I found a live version with a full orchestra that I liked more, but this was really nice. A real grower

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Want to stay up for the reveal but so sleepy...

sleepy.gif

(...please don't be tempting fate now...)

In 7th Place, scoring 9 points

Kenji Kawai - Innocence : Submitted by
    FixXxer

So as I am pretty sure I have mentioned in the past, I am a big fan of anime and japanese type music. So its probably no surprise to anyone that not only have I seen Ghost in the Shell movies like a billion times(slight exaggeration) but I have also listened to the music a billion times(not as big an exaggeration). I worked in the netcafe in athlone for a decade and two of my colleagues were significantly bigger anime fans than I was and always had the Ghost in the Shell soundtrack playing in the cafe as part of their playlists. I have heard it probably too much but I still love this piece that I couldnt not place it in the top half of the table. If you havent seen GITS(heh, just realised that abbreviates to Gits) or listening to the music. I fully recommend. This doesnt score higher because of saturation and the choices above it are excellent

In 6th place, scoring 10 points

Scala & Kolancy Brothers - Perfekte Welle : Submitted by
    ASLB

This ticks all the boxes for me. Beautiful singing, i do like a choir as evidenced from my first walrus reveal and just a gorgeous sound.

• Advertisement

In 7th Place, scoring 9 points

Kenji Kawai - Innocence : Submitted by
    FixXxer

So as I am pretty sure I have mentioned in the past, I am a big fan of anime and japanese type music. So its probably no surprise to anyone that not only have I seen Ghost in the Shell movies like a billion times(slight exaggeration) but I have also listened to the music a billion times(not as big an exaggeration). I worked in the netcafe in athlone for a decade and two of my colleagues were significantly bigger anime fans than I was and always had the Ghost in the Shell soundtrack playing in the cafe as part of their playlists. I have heard it probably too much but I still love this piece that I couldnt not place it in the top half of the table. If you havent seen GITS(heh, just realised that abbreviates to Gits) or listening to the music. I fully recommend. This doesnt score higher because of saturation and the choices above it are excellent

Fantastic movie and music, my first introduction to anime in the 90's.

Advertisement