Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rikand Walrus V2.0 Reveal Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

IN 11th place, scoring 5 points

Catalina by Cusco :; Submitted by
    Sawduck

This was okay. A bit pacey perhaps and a bit repetitive but the flutey bits were nice

In 10th Place, scoring 6 points

To Zanarkand - Final Fantasy X OST - Submitted by
    Fixxxer

This is a nice little tinkle of the piano and i do like Piano over other instruments as a general rule. But it was also a bit boring. Just a little more interesting for me than the flute.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Rikand wrote: »
    In 10th Place, scoring 6 points

To Zanarkand - Final Fantasy X OST - Submitted by
    Fixxxer

This is a nice little tinkle of the piano and i do like Piano over other instruments as a general rule. But it was also a bit boring. Just a little more interesting for me than the flute.

Maybe I should have submitted the Black Mages version :pac:

in 9th place, scoring 7 points.

Guinevere's Tears by Diane and David Arkenstone (Enaid) : Submitted by
    osh

This has a gorgeous tone to it starting off. Real Arthurian legend type stuff. For the first minute I just love it but I find myself getting bored of it very quickly and I feel terrible for that. It's great for a minute and then i feel terrible that i feel bored by it. I'm just after listening to it twice more now to be sure I am right in how I feel about this and I feel I am

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Well could be worse. I think there’s some great moments in it later in the track.

• Advertisement

In 8th place, scoring 8 points

Requiem for a tower by Clint Mansell : Submitted by
    EN

Sorry, this entry is just too much of a copout to score any higher than this. its a masterpiece, but, like, oversaturation and you know it too. I've probably scored it a little high tbh

osh wrote: »
    Well could be worse. I think there’s some great moments in it later in the track.

it was the moments later in the track that kinda turned me off but I suppose I'm entitled to my wrong opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

I'm 1. not 100% sure what I entered, and 2. not quite sure how what I think I might have entered could fair.... So about as certain as my wolf accusations :pac:

in 7th place, scoring 9 points

Winterborn (this sacrifice) by Cruxshadows :: Submitted by
    irish aris

Musically this is not a cat fit but lyrically it is for me. I love the lyrics of this song and the music is great too. It's the lyrics that place this higher than more traditionally fantasy themed songs for me

ari101 wrote: »
    I'm 1. not 100% sure what I entered, and 2. not quite sure how what I think I might have entered could fair.... So about as certain as my wolf accusations :pac:

if it makes you feel any better. I have no idea what you entered either. Though I am getting better at guessing who submitted what. I knew straight away that last song was an Irish Aris one

• Advertisement

in 6th place, scoring 10 points

Scarborough Fair by Celia Pavey :: Submitted by
    H2DPB

yeah, okay, like this is gorgeous. And its a beautiful performance and I watched the live audition from The Voice and tbh that was class. I am just so over familiar with the song. Like Too over familiar. But its a great performance and a nice category fit and its a song that just went up and up for me. Do check out the live audition too though. Its very beautiful and genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

OK, that went better than I expected. It was a category that was difficult to figure out what to submit.

In a reveal with more potentially controversial placings than any other reveal in history, here's one that might be way out there, but its the falsetto that just draws me in so deeply. How they're hitting the notes so high and beautifully it just seems alien to be coming from where its coming from. This would have number 1'd if for the category it had been musically more appropriate

in 5th place, scoring 11 points

Dowager by Anna Meredith : Submitted by
    Arghus

• Registered Users Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

In a reveal with more potentially controversial placings than any other reveal in history, here's one that might be way out there, but its the falsetto that just draws me in so deeply. How they're hitting the notes so high and beautifully it just seems alien to be coming from where its coming from. This would have number 1'd if for the category it had been musically more appropriate

in 5th place, scoring 11 points

Dowager by Anna Meredith : Submitted by
    Arghus

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a YouTube link that just had the album art. When I heard it first, it definitely had a more "princess in a tower" vibe to it, watching the video changes the feel of the song somehow. I liked how it has this stately grace to it, but the arrangement is multilayered and a cool mix of indie/electro and classical.

Delighted to have not finished down the pecking order for once!

in 4th place, scoring 12 points

Now we are free - Hans Zimmer and Lisa Gerard :: Submitted by
    Ari101

Ah, I havent listened to this in years. Hits all the marks. Great theme. Great vocal. Great everything from one of the greatest movies! But I have probably heard it too much for it break into the top 3 of which are all songs that I have never heard before.

Top 3 hype ::
    ShaneU
    ASLB
    the purple tin

Despite what I said at the start about not enjoying this category, i have enjoyed the songs more tonight than at any point in the last 2 weeks. Maybe I was just feeling **** the last 2 weeks, I dunno. It's funny how your mood can affect how you feel about songs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Another 4th nice, looks like there is no catching Shane though if he keeps this up :pac:

in 3rd Place, scoring 13 points

Strange Day in the Country by Celtus :: Submitted by
    the purple tin

This is lovely. The celtic vibe, the vocal is class! I just really fell in love with the vocal. This is exactly what i would look to listen to when playing Hibernia on the game Dark Age of Camelot*. It has that real sense of mysticism to it for me

* if anybody wants to check it out, I recommend the shard :; https://playphoenix.online/

in 2nd place, scoring 14 points

Porcelain by Ichiko Aoba : Submitted by
    ShaneU

This is gorgeous. I have no more other words. It's just gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

The bromance lives on :D

• Advertisement

In 1st place, scoring 15 points.

Federkleid by Faun :: Submitted by
    Also Starring Levar Burton

I am going to shamelessly steal the quote that was sent to me in describing this from the submitter ::

"For me this would fit right in to Lord Of The Rings or Game Of Thrones or Xena: Warrior Princess or anything else in that realm of a Fantasy Universe, has that kind of folky medieval feel to it that could be sung at village fairs, but also has a bit of an Elvish vibe about it that you could picture Legolas or Arwen out dancing to after a few scoops on a night out in Rivendell"

A few scoops had in Rivendell or Lorien is exactly the image I had in my head listening to this. Vocal is beautiful. Music is beautiful. its the perfect category fit!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Ah great choice LeVar, Faun are a great band!! Used to listen to that type of folk in the past, then and Schandmaul were in my radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Delighted you liked that one Rikand. It's actually a song I had only stumbled upon myself a month or so before you threw your sign-ups up. Had been listening to a fair bit of similar music around the time, so was a bit spoilt for choice for this category.

So to recap

I actually enjoyed the music a lot more doing the reveal than when I was listening to it during the last 2 weeks. New job at work and not really knowing what I'm at is maybe getting me down a bit so trying to listen to new music is probably not ideal during this period and perhaps some songs are misplaced as a result of that.... its something I'll reflect on in the weeks ahead.

For now. I'm going to crack on with the next category and I'm really looking forward to it to see what kind of stuff has been submitted to me and all the movie quotes that have come through. I might considering doing the top 3/bottom 3 at the end reveal for this one. We'll see how I feel when I come to it.

I'm going to try to aim for a midweek reveal this time. So hopefully like a Wednesday night or something - so in around 11-12 days from now for the next one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,944 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

In 8th place, scoring 8 points

Requiem for a tower by Clint Mansell : Submitted by EN

Sorry, this entry is just too much of a copout to score any higher than this. its a masterpiece, but, like, oversaturation and you know it too. I've probably scored it a little high tbh
    You monster!

Like you said I did know it! But this is possibly my favourite piece of music ever, so I had no choice but to enter it. I always prefer the new, unheard, gems in a walrus though, so I wholeheartedly accept and respect my low score :D

As well as just adoring this tune, I always love knowing it was written by the ex-singer of Pop Will Eat Itself too, such a career shift!

Really enjoying some of the songs from this latest category. Every song has gotten 1 listen each so far.

Here are 4 songs that havent been given. 2 of them are possibly 2 of the most famous songs featuring quotes from movies and then 2 are from my own personal electronic music collection :D

Misirlou - Pulp Fiction :: Warning - NSFW Quote at the start!!!

Fun Loving Criminals - Scooby Snacks :: Warning - NSFW Quotes throughout

Adam White & Anthony Dean - Out Of Nowhere (Michael Parsberg & Michael Splint Remix) :: Movie quote from The Last Temptation of Christ at 3:00 with other samples throughout - Real uplifting trance tune :D

Michael Splint - Remember Remember :: Quote from V for Vendetta in there, ties in real nice with the melody

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Struggled to find a song for this. Scooby Snacks was the only one I knew off the top of my head.

Still only one listen given. I got caught up listening to music from ShaneU's tournaments so no reveal this week. Probably next week :)

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611cea0e7c93ae0088d1b2697b06501420de354cf52&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

So yeah, I've been busy. I havent even played any golf for the last 6 weeks, thats how busy I have been :)

I'm hoping to get this back on the road from this coming week sometime. I'm also going to rescore Category 5 as tbh, I'm not at all happy with it. I think I scored it too quickly and I didnt give some of the songs the listen that they deserved. I also shouldnt have totally discounted songs just because they didnt meet what I thought was fantasy. Fantasy to me doesnt mean it wasnt fantasy to someone else and I was wrong to just discount songs for that reason.

Especially when I said in the signup ::

" Just something that makes you think fantasy when you hear it.... whatever that fantasy song is for you . "

Work was just starting to ramp up at the time and I wasnt at all prepared properly to do that reveal. So I'll redo that category first and then get back to category 6 afterwards. I'll be back in touch when I know more

• Advertisement

Advertisement