Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of refurbishment of 70s house

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

listermint wrote: »
    15 grand for a rewire. Eeehhhh

I was quoted more for a Dublin rewire 2 years ago, I would guess prices haven't gone down since.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,997 ✭✭✭✭listermint

GreeBo wrote: »
    I was quoted more for a Dublin rewire 2 years ago, I would guess prices haven't gone down since.

He was robbing you blind or else the place was massive and there was absolutely no hope of easily pullling cables

listermint wrote: »
    He was robbing you blind or else the place was massive and there was absolutely no hope of easily pullling cables

The house is large with concrete walls, the point being that we don't know the OPs house, it could easily be 15K or 4k.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭lemonkey

The house is large with concrete walls, the point being that we don't know the OPs house, it could easily be 15K or 4k.

Sorry for getting off topic but that lad was trying to fleece you.

lemonkey wrote: »
    Sorry for getting off topic but that lad was trying to fleece you.

Well considering you have never seen my house or its construction, I'd take your opinion with a pinch of salt to be honest. You have zero information to base your opinion on.

A quote is how much the job will cost, its not necessarily the value of the job, if there is a lot of easier/higher margin work available then your less desirable job will cost more to get done, thats just how the market works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Well considering you have never seen my house or its construction, I'd take your opinion with a pinch of salt to be honest. You have zero information to base your opinion on.

A quote is how much the job will cost, its not necessarily the value of the job, if there is a lot of easier/higher margin work available then your less desirable job will cost more to get done, thats just how the market works.

Can I ask where you are getting the work done? I know a friend who got a 50s council house completely rewired in the south of the city for 4 grand. Is it very hard to get more quotes?

I know a friend with an edwardian house and it seems everything is twice as much because of the structure of the house. She put a stove in and she was telling us at work the cost, people nearly fell of their seats.

I have never seen your house, you're 100% correct and every job is different. I wasn't personally attacking you or telling you that you're wrong, I apologize if it came across that way. I was basing my opinion on my experience. I'm a QS.

I have never seen your house, you're 100% correct and every job is different. I wasn't personally attacking you or telling you that you're wrong. I was basing my opinion on my experience. I'm a senior QS.

Well you kinda were, you told me I was being fleeced. As a senior QS I'd expect you to have some details on the house size and construction before commenting, as I presume you know, there is a significant difference in time and cost involved, depending on the house construction and size. A timber frame house with stud walls and suspended floors will be considerably cheaper than a concrete walled house on a slab, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    rewiring budget is too low , budget for at least 15 k

Sorry but thats nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 24,630 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I think we'd have to go external insulation to get the air tightness needed for the heat pump, we won't have the money for that for a couple of years but definitely on the list. Windows are 10 years old and double glazed so not the worst but will need to be done at some stage!

And if funds allow, do both together so you can have the new windows installed where thermal bridging around windows is minimised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Chevy RV

[QUOTE=Car99;116793887There must be a module in trade apprenticeship training about hiw to lie and make promises you have no intention of keeping to with a straight face when it comes to start and finish dates .[/QUOTE]

It's included in the post 1990 syllabus..:P

Well you kinda were, you told me I was being fleeced. As a senior QS I'd expect you to have some details on the house size and construction before commenting, as I presume you know, there is a significant difference in time and cost involved, depending on the house construction and size. A timber frame house with stud walls and suspended floors will be considerably cheaper than a concrete walled house on a slab, for example.

Did you only get one quote? Must be a very big house if they were all around the same price :pac:

Did you only get one quote? Must be a very big house if they were all around the same price :pac:

Or a complicated job :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

We got to see the house in person, another issue definitely is there is a raised floor in most of the house and then a dip into concrete then for the internal garage so the ground floor will need to be leveled with concrete definitely, even from an insulation point of view.

Leaning more towards a contractor now. The electrics and plumbing were better than I thought but will still need upgrading etc. I think organizing trades on site at different times will be tricky.

I know the answer is "how long is a piece of string" but what's the usual cut for a contractor. My guess is they will end up saving us money given how complicated the job will be now.

Advertisement