Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Painting over dry dash

• 04-04-2021 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

Is there anything anything that I need to do or note before I paint over dry dash? In an exposed coastal region. I gave the light power wash. There is a little bit of black in the plaster at low level. Will a regular exterior paint be sufficient?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Is there anything anything that I need to do or note before I paint over dry dash? In an exposed coastal region. I gave the light power wash. There is a little bit of black in the plaster at low level. Will a regular exterior paint be sufficient?

From what I have read on this before, the best advice is.... Don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭Cerco

Clean it off with diluted bleach or Chloros . You will get this in a farmers co-op .
    Farmers use it for cleaning milking parlours etc.
    Spray or dab it on a leave it for a couple of hours then wash off with a hose.
    If using a power washer use it a low pressure to prevent it lifting the pebbles.
    You may have to repeat a couple of times for stubborn stains.
    The real benefit of dry dash is that it does not need painting.
    If you do , in a coastal area, you will be painting every year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Cerco wrote: »
    Clean it off with diluted bleach or Chloros . You will get this in a farmers co-op .
    Farmers use it for cleaning milking parlours etc.
    Spray or dab it on a leave it for a couple of hours then wash off with a hose.
    If using a power washer use it a low pressure to prevent it lifting the pebbles.
    You may have to repeat a couple of times for stubborn stains.
    The real benefit of dry dash is that it does not need painting.
    If you do , in a coastal area, you will be painting every year or two.
    I appreciate your comments. The main reasons for wanting to paint is that improve the appearance of the house. It is a 20 year house, dashed with white, black and grey pebbles. We bought the house this time last year and it definitely needs freshening up. I bought a power washer in lidl and was going to use the cleaning fluid that came with it. If I do go ahead with painting what is the best value exterior paint to use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

If you are going to paint it, any masonry paint will work... So buy whatever is best value. IIRC you will need to stabilise it before painting tho, using a stabilising primer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If I was going to paint it given your location I would not scrimp or look for best value. You should be looking for best application. Anything less and you might as well just stay outside and continue painting around again when your finish. Because you will be forever out there, like the lads doing the golden gate bridge :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

Why would dry dash need to be painted regularly? Thinking of painting my house.

Advertisement