Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childminder business

Options
  • 04-04-2021 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Any childminders on here, I'm looking to set up a business from my home. What do I need to do?
    I presume I'll need an account to set me up as self employed ?? Insurance .... What else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rainemac

Speak to your local County childcare committee. You don't need an accountant unless you want one. Forms are easy to fill out with the CRO and revenue. If you earn under €15,000 a year its tax free. Pay the €500 prsi so you are entitled to maternity leave, dental etc. If you earn more keep receipts of everything and start a monthly spreadsheet for tax.
    Insurance, try your house insurance first. They might do an add on. Car insurance if taking them in the car, need an add on. Advertise on your local groups first. Do up a contract for parents and stick to it, give it to them and ask them to sign and agree. So all clear and agreed in advance.
    Decide if taking more than 3 children as you need to register with Tusla if you are. You need policies and procedures, clear illness policy for when children are sick and when you are sick. Clear covid policy, someone in house isolating etc. Have you a childcare qualification, garda vetting? Childminding Ireland do sample policies if you join them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I used to be a childminder, have a look at www.childminding.ie .
    There is lots of advice there and they have insurance deals and can get you garda vetted etc.
    You need to declare your income but it is tax exempt up to 15k and pay your voluntary PRSI.

Advertisement