Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House for single person

Options
  • 04-04-2021 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Im in the market for a house, for just me.

This is proving difficult. Every house I find that I like is too big for one person.

I also like the idea of having a relatively small detached house with some space and privacy while not being completely in the middle of no where.

Any thoughts on what a good options for single people is. I am completely against apartments but also want to avoid estates full of family's. I know Im asking for too much.

Whats too big for a single person. I saw a nice house thats 140 meter which seems mad but smaller houses are terrible value.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Define too big.

When I was single, I purchased a 3brm: one bedroom me, one for guests and one for a study Perfect size IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

2 bed or 3 rent out a room up to €14k tax free that's what I'd be doing.

Where and what is your budget?

What you say implies that you are finding small houses but that they are either not nice or poor value.

Unless you have an unlimited budget these are presumably trade offs

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Seeds

Where and what is your budget?

What you say implies that you are finding small houses but that they are either not nice or poor value.

Unless you have an unlimited budget these are presumably trade offs

300-540k

Would you move further out to get that nicer place? Obviously depending where you are looking.

• Advertisement

Would you move further out to get that nicer place? Obviously depending where you are looking.

I would yeah, have considered moving out since I can work from home 3 days a week at least.
    Working in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

You are looking for a unicorn.

Detached, not in a estate or around families but not in the countryside.
    You will have to compromise on one of these, so which one you can compromise on?

Here is 1 but it needs probably another 150K of modernisation.
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-moira-cottage-strawberry-beds-castleknock-dublin-15/3147677

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-11-lambourne-park-beaverstown-road-donabate-co-dublin/2519344

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-53-kenure-park-rush-co-dublin/2580607

ongarite wrote: »
    You are looking for a unicorn.

Detached, not in a estate or around families but not in the countryside.
    You will have to compromise on one of these, so which one you can compromise on?

Here is 1 but it needs probably another 150K of modernisation.

Interesting options, Im willing to go outside Dublin I guess.
    Maybe Wicklow or Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

detached is a bit of a stretch but a small mixed estate with two-bed townhouses, places like that are going to have other single people and ifs a small estate you won't feel too overwhelmed by the family element.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Oddly enough there are plenty of detached houses around by me in D5 but it's an ex corpo estate that left massive swathes of side gardens that people have plonked down detached houses on. Terrible value at the moment IMHO.

Edit: Sorry missed the bit about not wanting to be surrounded by families.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Seeds wrote: »
    Interesting options, Im willing to go outside Dublin I guess.
    Maybe Wicklow or Kildare.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-clonard-lodge-killiney-avenue-killiney-co-dublin/3164235

I think this house is so picturesque and perfect for a single person.

This is proving difficult. Every house I find that I like is too big for one person.

I also like the idea of having a relatively small detached house with some space and privacy while not being completely in the middle of no where.

Any thoughts on what a good options for single people is. I am completely against apartments but also want to avoid estates full of family's. I know Im asking for too much.

Whats too big for a single person. I saw a nice house thats 140 meter which seems mad but smaller houses are terrible value.

I feel ya!
    I have had two 3 bed semi detached houses over the years. Moved out of the last one because I just didn't like living in suburban estate full of families.
    I really only need two bedrooms, but it's such a compromise on the space in the rest of the house.
    New build two beds tend to walk straight into the sittingroom, which I hate!
    Older detached houses seem to need lots of work at the moment.
    I don't see any value in houses at the moment, so I'm going to wait another while to get exactly what I want.
    I'm very hopeful :)

I think this house is so picturesque and perfect for a single person.

Nice little spot.

It is interesting\worrying it doesnt list the size in meter and its "Ber except". Not sure what that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

Its either a protected building or absolutely tiny.
    A BER certificate is a legal requirement of selling a home.
    The below list is the exempt list of buildings that do not require a Building Energy Rating Certificate.
    Protected structures
    Small dwellings with a useful floor area below 50m2

What does this mean for domestic BERs
    A small dwelling with less than 50m2 does not need a BER cetificate as it is BER exempt. So should you get a BER? The answer is yes, as it might be exempt from requiring a BER but potential purchasers will still want to know the buildings efficiency. A BER rating on a building less than 50m2 should cost less than €100 and potentially save thousands on the sale of the property price.

That place screams cold and damp to me.
    Bathroom window is rusty with mold on tiles/skirting.
    Oil heating with a stove & 2 radiators required in tiny main bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

2 bed or 3 rent out a room up to €14k tax free that's what I'd be doing.

very few people would be getting €14000 a year from letting out a room, €100 to €150 max per week I would imagine.

Shauna677 wrote: »
    very few people would be getting €14000 a year from letting out a room, €100 to €150 max per week I would imagine.

Up to isaid, of course it doesn't mean they be getting full amount, if a 3 bed they could let out 2 rooms.

Up to isaid, of course it doesn't mean they be getting full amount, if a 3 bed they could let out 2 rooms.

Most people that say they want to buy a house alone, don't want to rent rooms out!

Nice little spot.

It is interesting\worrying it doesnt list the size in meter and its "Ber except". Not sure what that means.

It's an old gate lodge in killiney, probably listed or too small for ber.
    Gate lodges are lovely but they are old, can be cold. Also you would want to check if it is still inside the gate of the big house, what I mean is, you may not own the ground in front of the house, and the main house still go in and out the gate.
    Nice spot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Nice little spot.

It’s a protected structure so is BER exempt. I’d say the SQ footage is small. Still though, beautiful home with lots of character.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Most people that say they want to buy a house alone, don't want to rent rooms out!

It was an idea I just thought I'd mention, Jesus the boards police are busy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

bubblypop wrote: »

Not necessarily. Smart ones do it for a few years, because they know that bringing the mortgage down a bit up front has big long-term financial benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Not necessarily. Smart ones do it for a few years, because they know that bringing the mortgage down a bit up front has big long-term financial benefits.

I suppose but it depends how much you value your privacy .
    A few extra euro isn't worth it to a lot of people

That's different though, the OP wants a house just for them, same for me, I will buy a house just for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The BER is based on the “estimated energy performance and associated carbon dioxide emissions for the provision of space heating, ventilation, water heating and lighting under standardised occupancy conditions.”
    so for a protected structure like this a BER is waste of money, you need a paper energy survey, which will cost more than 100 lids
    https://www.dlrcoco.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/schedule2.pdf
    page 293
    very poor practice on the estate agent not so say so

I suspect the the OP is not interested in rent a room, not with 540K to play with

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

JoChervil wrote: »
    What about these ones:

They are in a very good area. They call it A4 (just slagging D4). Next to a hotel with a leisure centre. And few minutes to a bus stop to Dublin, so no exhausting trips by car. And you can use tax saver ticket against your tax.

The first one is practically 5 bedroom house, so you could rent 3 bedrooms, while having an en-suite and an office room for yourself. Or turn this side room (ex garage I think) to a separate granny flat.

Arklow is too far down for me to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

300-540k

PM me, I've a 100 square meter house I'll let you have for 500k, fibre broadband and only 3 hours from dublin :)

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/62-newgrange-road-cabra-dublin-7/4490824

Love this myself, but I couldn't justify the price, someone will buy it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 NovaDublin

I hear you! I was in the same position as you but unfortunately didn't have the budget you had, I bought a semi-D cottage in Meath for 150,000 three years ago, came with 1 acre of land. I got lucky, the house has three bedrooms, living room, large kitchen and large bathroom and patio. It is perfect! The very best of luck in your search!

JoChervil wrote: »
    So what about this one:
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/townhouse-26-glebe-square-newcastle-co-dublin/2927249

Terrace house but backyard quite separated. Definitely for a single person.

Nicely done house but...

"To the front you will find ample parking space around the cul de sac and a manicured green play area"

In other words, squabbles with neighbours over parking, and kids playing lashing balls of parked cars. Avoid! :rolleyes:

I've a 2 bed / 1 bathroom bungalow that I share with my adult daughter. If I were to change anything about it, I'd like an ensuite, but I can live without it. Someday she will no doubt move out. I think its the perfect size for 1/2 people. Any bigger would just mean more cleaning / heating / maintenance.

I don't see the logic in one person buying a 3 bed/3 bathroom house, unless they plan to rent out rooms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Speaking as one who moved perforce ( landlord selling) from a spacious house, of three large bedrooms . two reception, two bathrooms. to a tiny place?

You can always use extra rooms. Hobbies etc.

Advertisement