Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a House

Options
  • 04-04-2021 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭

Put this in the wrong thread yesterday i think:

Hoping to get some advice here on a new build as i'm fairly green to the whole thing. Basically i have a site and i'm just wondering on what my next steps are.

Is it straight to looking for planning and if so do i need to get plans drawn up first? Just seems kind of odd to draw up plans first if planning is rejected?

Or should you consult a bank/broker first to see if you can get a mortgage and for what amount? Cause this will obviously affect what type of house you can build?

I'm sure these are fairly silly questions but as i said...... green

Also, i take it i could possibly use my site as a deposit for a mortgage in lieu of cash; is this the case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭ongarite

Are you local or meet local needs for planning in your county? If not then no point going ahead with planning application.

Do you have any money to put towards potential build & what your max budget?
    This will determine size of build you can afford & plan with architect.
    All houses built now need to meet A2/nZEB regulation and this is not cheap.
    From €2K per sqm depending on finish & county you are in.

Self-build, contracted out per trade or single builder for all jobs?

Septic tank needed?
    Is the site adjoining other houses as getting electricity & mains water for single site is quite expensive

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Degag wrote: »
    Put this in the wrong thread yesterday i think:

Hoping to get some advice here on a new build as i'm fairly green to the whole thing. Basically i have a site and i'm just wondering on what my next steps are.

Is it straight to looking for planning and if so do i need to get plans drawn up first? Just seems kind of odd to draw up plans first if planning is rejected?

Or should you consult a bank/broker first to see if you can get a mortgage and for what amount? Cause this will obviously affect what type of house you can build?

I'm sure these are fairly silly questions but as i said...... green

Also, i take it i could possibly use my site as a deposit for a mortgage in lieu of cash; is this the case?

1. You have the site. The banks can allow this as deposit once planning is secured. They won’t loan out for planning stages, so the planning process will be out of your own savings.
    2. Speak to the bank and work through your figures to see how much of a mortgage they will give you and agree a rough figure that you want to borrow. Not everyone wants the max the bank will give so this figure is your personal mortgage that you are comfortable at drawing down.
    3. Now engage. Local Architect, Planning Agent or similar to sit with you and go through your options. The first thing they will do is determine the zoning of the land and your eligibility of applying (local needs etc).
    4. They will work with your budget, work backwards allowing for rough figures for fees, contributions, connections etc and design a house to roughly coincide with your budget.
    5. Apply for planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Before spending anything, I downloaded the plans of a house I liked and made an appointment with guy in charge of planning for the area. I explained it was a guide of what I wanted to build and asked his opinion on it, I also brought photos of similar sized houses in the area. He was clear that he could not give a definitive answer, but he considered it consistent with previous planning approvals. Next it was budget, then off to the architect, planning application etc.

At that meeting, local development plan was discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

ongarite wrote: »
    Are you local or meet local needs for planning in your county? If not then no point going ahead with planning application.

Not sure the bloodlines rule can be applied anymore, EU Court of Justice ruled it was discriminatory and there is an EU Directive prohibiting it being used in planning applications.

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/libraryResearch/2017/2017-05-08_eu-law-and-local-residency-requirements-for-planning-permission_en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

ongarite wrote: »

Do you have any money to put towards potential build & what your max budget?
    This will determine size of build you can afford & plan with architect.
    All houses built now need to meet A2/nZEB regulation and this is not cheap.
    From €2K per sqm depending on finish & county you are in.

Self-build, contracted out per trade or single builder for all jobs?

Septic tank needed?
    Is the site adjoining other houses as getting electricity & mains water for single site is quite expensive

2k a sqm?? Have prices raised that much?? My cousin built his last year for 1100 a sqm to a builders finish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Thanks for all the replies, just to answer some questions:

Yes i'm local
    Yes i have funds to put towards the build
    Not sure on max budget but would be a pretty modest build
    Self-build, contracted out per trade or single builder for all jobs? - Not sure, ideally i'd love a single builder but heard this is more expensive so may be discounted.
    Septic tank needed
    Other houses nearby

So really the advice would be to engage with banks/broker first, see what you are potentially eligible for. Then employ architect to draw plans to this eligibility. Maybe also meet with planning officer before this stage to see what they thought. Then apply for planning?

Advertisement