Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for lovely places to visit in Limerick from 12th - *** Mod warning in op ***

• 04-04-2021 11:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

Wondering if we could compile list of nice places people can go to in the county when 5km lifted. Great to get some ideas for nice walks and picnics

1. Curraghchase
    2. Glenstal woods

Mod warning - Lets keep this thread to just in Limerick, I know some people will be close to borders with other counties but this is the Limerick forum so lets keep it to just Limerick, if you want to look at places within 20km of a border check out those other regional forums.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭djdunny

Knockfierna in Ballingarry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Ballina Killaloe not too far from Limerick. Plenty of mountain trails and hikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

thegills wrote: »
    Ballina Killaloe not too far from Limerick. Plenty of mountain trails and hikes.

I think the idea of the thread is to highlight places Limerick people can legally go. Killaloe is a different county

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Parts of the greenway have been resurfaced and reopened.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I think the idea of the thread is to highlight places Limerick people can legally go. Killaloe is a different county

It's just about within 20 km for some folks (Corbally Road, for example), so it's not a bad suggestion.

I'm looking forward to getting back to places like Curraghchase and Cratloe Woods, maybe a spin to the stone circle (Grange, I think?) or Carrigogunnel. We've just had a new arrival and I want to show her all the best places around Limerick even though she's too tiny to understand any of them! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Entonces

Clare glens murroe
    Lough gur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's just about within 20 km for some folks (Corbally Road, for example), so it's not a bad suggestion.

I'm looking forward to getting back to places like Curraghchase and Cratloe Woods, maybe a spin to the stone circle (Grange, I think?) or Carrigogunnel. We've just had a new arrival and I want to show her all the best places around Limerick even though she's too tiny to understand any of them! :D

I didn't realize it was going up to 20. That will make a big difference to me in the north of the city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Ballyhoura region .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I didn't realize it was going up to 20. That will make a big difference to me in the north of the city

It's your county or 20km, so all of Limerick and a 20km radius from your home, so if you're living near a border you can go up to 20km into the neighbouring county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Congrats on the arrival mate.

On topic: curraghchase, the green way, lough gur, cratloe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Celmullet

Towns like Askeaton and Kilmallock are often overlooked but they have similar historic ruins to Adare that are interesting to walk around.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Car99 wrote: »
    Ballyhoura region .

I've downloaded the Ballyhoura App and really looking forward to doing some of the many trails..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Kilmallock really doesn't get enough attention - the medieval gates are interesting artefacts in good condition, and hardly anyone outside of Limerick knows they're there! Bulgaden castle is nearby.
    Bruff has a couple of statues, a little river walk on the Kilmallock side of the town, and some murals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Yes, the Stone Circle is in Grange... near my gaff!! :D
    typical...you grow up beside an ancient attraction, and you never go near the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

If the Ballyhouras get too crowded the Slieve Felims are ripe for exploring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

If you're walking in the countryside ensure you leave gates as you find them, leave dogs at home and bring your litter home.

After that there are nice walks

By the river in O'Briensbridge
    By the canal/river from the city to UL
    Around Westfields
    Clareglens, Cratloe & Knockfierna for a bit of a hill climb
    River walk in Adare and around the village
    The Greenway is open again after an upgrade from Rahtkeale to NCW
    12 O'Clock Hills is supposed to be good but I haven't been there yet.
    And of course you have the Galtees and Ardpatrick for lots of walks

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

phog wrote: »
    12 O'Clock Hills is supposed to be good but I haven't been there yet.

I went the wrong way up the long trail there between lockdowns last autumn, dragging my bike with me. Some sections are a little steep for walkers who aren't used to hills, but it is a good spot. The fairy trail is lovely and colourful if you're just doing a short walk with young children.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Lets keep this thread to just in Limerick, I know some people will be close to borders with other counties but this is the Limerick forum so lets keep it to just Limerick, if you want to look at places within 20km of a border check out those other regional forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

Car99 wrote: »
    Ballyhoura region .

Any info on what are the best walks there for a family with kids from 6 up? I'd like to give them a go for a change of scenery

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

I went the wrong way up the long trail there between lockdowns last autumn, dragging my bike with me. Some sections are a little steep for walkers who aren't used to hills, but it is a good spot. The fairy trail is lovely and colourful if you're just doing a short walk with young children.

Really worth a go if you are within reach of them! Super views of Limerick and Clare from the top

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I realise that you mightn't have spotted my warning so I've added the warning to the Op, edited the title and this is a second warning.

I'm sure there'll be complaints about me being heavy handed or whatever, but this is the Limerick forum, not the Limerick+20km forum, if you want to discuss lovely places to visit in other counties please do so it the other forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Any info on what are the best walks there for a family with kids from 6 up? I'd like to give them a go for a change of scenery

Download the ballyhoura trails guide app and see what your family would enjoy. Shortest trail is 5km , very easily completed in 1.5 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

Advertisement