Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

420,000 Irish passports issued in Britain since Brexit vote

• 05-04-2021 2:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭

Data shared by Ireland’s foreign affairs minister Simon Coveney – which he said showed “the number of passports issued to applicants resident in Great Britain” – suggested that figure exceeded 422,000 between 2016 and 2020.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-irish-passports-britain-coveney-b1826580.html#

Seems like a huge number of new citizens a big jump since it was last reported on here.

Mod:
    Threadbanned Posters:
    • coinop

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

<mod: Thinly veiled racism deleted>

Although I predict many Boards users will have great difficulty comprehending the nuances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Del2005 wrote: »
    All my English cousins got Irish passports and they got them for their children also. None have any interest in coming back to Ireland for anything other than a holiday. They got them for travel around the continent.

They hand them out like sweets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

coinop wrote: »
    Although I predict many Boards users will have great difficulty comprehending the nuances.

Nah i think its pretty obvious to most people considering your post is a racist pile of garbage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Did anyone in the Department ever think of loading a premium on these non resident passports?! Make a few quid off Brexit like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Is the north included in those figures ?
    Cos that'd put a different take on it - there's 1.8 million in the north - all perfectly entitled to an Irish passport which ever side of the fence they sit on ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

No issue with it once people were vetted properly before it. I can't blame a British person for doing this really given where the UK is heading. My only concern would maybe be the age demographics and hoping that it's more younger people that wouldn't be as much of a strain on the health system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Markcheese wrote: »
    Is the north included in those figures ?
    Cos that'd put a different take on it - there's 1.8 million in the north - all perfectly entitled to an Irish passport which ever side of the fence they sit on ,

No. Not included in this.

Are the net new first time passports or are renewals included in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Skyfloater

Would UK domiciled Irish passport holders be entitled to any pensions or benefits as a result of this? Is added consular work when they get done for drunk and disorderly down in Magaluf the only downside to this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

VinLieger wrote: »
    Nah i think its pretty obvious to most people considering your post is a racist pile of garbage

see the problem is people such as yourself dont even want to have the conversation...the issue must be acknowledged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Nozebleed wrote: »
    see the problem is people such as yourself dont even want to have the conversation...the issue must be acknowledged.

What issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

sugarman wrote: »
    Can any of them play football?

Junior B corner back?

If they were up to that standard, you might even be able to convince them later to play for the national soccerball team

What documents do they need to prove eligibility? Is that system robust? Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

And the passport office is closed in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Skyfloater wrote: »
    Would UK domiciled Irish passport holders be entitled to any pensions or benefits as a result of this? Is added consular work when they get done for drunk and disorderly down in Magaluf the only downside to this?

No they will be entitled to nothing by having an Irish passport. Ireland uses UK consulates more than a UK resident will use an Irish one.

There is a push to give them a vote in Irish elections!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Can they get the state pension, know some english guys getting it here along with the UK one...

What documents do they need to prove eligibility? Is that system robust? Genuine question.

Interesting question. Irish passports were one of the easiest to get in the 80s. Many an international criminal would source passports from Ireland. The country was known for being desperate for cash at the time.
    Skyfloater wrote: »

Irish consular assistance is terrible. I used to do work in South America, and the Irish prisoners got more assistance from British consulates than their Irish counterparts. Most people in that part of the world look on Irish and British as the same thing, and both would fall under the banner of "rich westerners", i.e. cash cows, along with the rest of Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

smurgen wrote: »
    No issue with it once people were vetted properly before it. I can't blame a British person for doing this really given where the UK is heading. My only concern would maybe be the age demographics and hoping that it's more younger people that wouldn't be as much of a strain on the health system.

Why would any British person living in Britain with access to the NHS decide to utilise the HSE just because they have an Irish passport?

Can they get the state pension, know some english guys getting it here along with the UK one...

If you worked and paid tax in both Britain and Ireland, you could be entitled to both, depending on your contributions.

Access to the non-contributory pension is dependent on your habitual residency, not your citizenship.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Did anyone in the Department ever think of loading a premium on these non resident passports?! Make a few quid off Brexit like.

If you're not born to an Irish Citizen that was themselves born on the island of Ireland, you have to be registered on the Foreign Births Register. This is the bit that makes you a citizen, not the actual act of holding a passport. It costs €278 to get registered and get a certificate. Once you have that you can apply for the passport.

Here's all the details: https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/born-abroad/registering-a-foreign-birth/

You need birth certs of the parent/grandparent that you're eligible under, as well as your own birth cert, photos, a witnessed form, identity documentation, the fee. The process takes 12-18 months. That's to get on the Foreign Births Register. Once you have your certificate from that, you can apply for an Irish Passport like any Irish person.

The number of passports issued doesn't mean that there's that number of new citizens. You could already have Irish citizenship and just not bothered getting an Irish passport before. I know two people who were born in the UK to Irish parents, had a UK passport from youth, but moved back to Ireland when they were still children, and live and worked here since then. They're fully Irish citizens, but always just renewed their British passport because it was easier than applying for an Irish one. Brexit made them both decide to get an Irish passport, but neither added to the number of Irish citizens, because they already were.

• Advertisement

I
    Here's all the details: https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/born-abroad/registering-a-foreign-birth/

You need birth certs of the parent/grandparent that you're eligible under, as well as your own birth cert, photos, a witnessed form, the fee. The process takes 12-18 months. That's to get on the Foreign Births Register. Once you have your certificate from that, you can apply for an Irish Passport like any Irish person.

My question was about the robustness of the process.

If you are a yank and your name is Miguel O'Brien and you father was Vladimir O'Brien and his father was James O'Brien, but your family has been in the US for hundreds of years, then would it be impossible to search and buy a copy of the birth cert of a James O'Brien who was born in Cork 90 years ago and say he was your grandfather so that you could claim an Irish Passport? I mean with a common name, you could probably find one born within a reasonable timeframe who also emigrated to the US if you needed it

Do birth certs in all countries have to state the father's place of birth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

speckle wrote: »

Ridiculous isn't it.

Saw Anglo Basher/EU lickarse in chief Neale Richmond lording this on Twitter.

At least their citizens can get passports....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭Flimsy_Boat

My question was about the robustness of the process.

If you are a yank and your name is Miguel O'Brien and you father was Vladimir O'Brien and his father was James O'Brien, but your family has been in the US for hundreds of years, then would it be impossible to search and buy a copy of the birth cert of a James O'Brien who was born in Cork 90 years ago and say he was your grandfather so that you could claim an Irish Passport? I mean with a common name, you could probably find one born within a reasonable timeframe who also emigrated to the US if you needed it

Do birth certs in all countries have to state the father's place of birth?

No, this would not work. I have a U.S. birth certificate and it says the country my father and mother were born in. It also has their full name at birth and date of birth.

If my parents were American, and I was trying to use James O'Brien's 90 year old birth certificate from Cork as my grandparent link to Ireland, I'd have to submit my parent's birth certificate as well. It would not list James O'Brien Ireland DOB 18/05/1911 as the father, and the ruse would be over.

I suspect most other developed countries have similar standards for their birth certificates. Perhaps someone can chime in about the details on birth certificates in places like Vanuatu.

speckle wrote: »

All non-emergency Irish passport applications are currently suspended under Level 5 restrictions - both from within Ireland and from outside. The processing of Foreign Birth Registrations - the bit you need before you can get an Irish passport if you weren't born in Ireland to an Irish parent - is also currently suspended. It's not the case that non-citizens, or citizens residing outside the state, are getting a service that domestic citizens currently can't.

https://www.dfa.ie/passportonline/

The numbers quoted in the OP are from between 2016 and 2020, so mostly pre Covid and all pre the current Level 5 restrictions.

No, this would not work. I have a U.S. birth certificate and it says the country my father and mother were born in. It also has their full name at birth and date of birth.

If my parents were American, and I was trying to use James O'Brien's 90 year old birth certificate from Cork as my grandparent link to Ireland, I'd have to submit my parent's birth certificate as well. It would not list James O'Brien Ireland DOB 18/05/1911 as the father, and the ruse would be over.

I suspect most other developed countries have similar standards for their birth certificates. Perhaps someone can chime in about the details on birth certificates in places like Vanuatu.

I don't think birth certs in Ireland have the DOB of the father. The US might have them but Ireland is probably not unique in not having it

https://www.civilcertificates.ie/Blog/Detail/long-and-short-birth-certificates-what-is-the-difference

The previous link mentioned needing a death cert for the grandparent. But if you found the birth cert of James O'Brien from cork from 90 years ago, you might also be able to find his death cert from 15 years ago.

So it might not work for the US but other countries might be possible

There you go, a Scottish one.

Scottish_Birth_Certificate.webp

Only thing that might have more details might be the marriage cert. But if their parents weren't married sure they wouldn't have that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Nozebleed wrote: »

LOL pathetic strawman there, but I'll bite just to see what exactly you think is the issue then?

Advertisement