Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The annual ASTI Easter strike threat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

khalessi wrote: »
    Just curious, the anti teacher sentiment that is seen here about teachers asking for the vaccinations, does that cover those who have already have been vaccinated in their 30s and 40s who work at home and are not facing the public under the HSE banner or are they grand, despite skipping queue and taking vaccines away from the more vunerable?

What queue did they skip if they are under the HSE banner?

But more of a risk if the 60 year old is wfh. 25% of teachers in UK with Long Covid second highest profession after HCWs; 122,000 HCW and 114,000 School staff, hopefully won't happen here as we would be screwed with the lack of subs

People aged 60-65 years are 70 times more at risk than those aged 30 to 35 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

But more of a risk if the 60 year old is wfh. 25% of teachers in UK with Long Covid second highest profession after HCWs; 122,000 HCW and 114,000 School staff, hopefully won't happen here as we would be screwed with the lack of subs

Not from severe consequences of death or landing in hospital. They are more at risk of getting Covid but I think around half of covid infections have no or minor symptoms. UK decided for age based approach. Interestingly UK has also very high number of younger people dying of Covid and they still decided for aged based approach and their deaths are way down. I hope vaccine will help with some symptoms of long Covid, it does seem horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

yabadabado wrote: »
    What queue did they skip if they are under the HSE banner?

They are not frontline They are wfh not public facing in normal capacity and taking vaccines from 70 plus age group

• Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Larsso30 wrote: »
    I do think alot of this is coming from unions, not the teachers themselves. Certainly any I know just want to be back teaching, not zoom or any other thing they done for younger classes.

We'll see when the votes come in.

If it's defeated, it'll show that the union leadership are drastically out of touch with their membership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

They are not frontline They are wfh not public facing in normal capacity and taking vaccines from 70 plus age group

Nobody thinks this is justified. Nobody here is saying that they think there is justification for it. Why do you keep bringing this up here and elsewhere as if people are OK with it?

Just curious, the anti teacher sentiment that is seen here about teachers asking for the vaccinations, does that cover those who have already have been vaccinated in their 30s and 40s who work at home and are not facing the public under the HSE banner or are they grand, despite skipping queue and taking vaccines away from the more vunerable?

If science (and the law) allowed for it those people should have the vaccine they’ve already received extracted from their bodies and then put to the end of the queue after children to be born in 2025.

I’m only half joking :D

No if that's the case they shouldn't have gotten the vaccine either.
    Thats why age based is the best system and thankfully the gov. won't bow down to these outrageous demands from the teacher union's.

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Nobody thinks this is justified. Nobody here is saying that they think there is justification for it. Why do you keep bringing this up here and elsewhere as if people are OK with it?

Where else did I bring it up?

Where else did I bring it up?

This post for a start: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116718629&postcount=1641

This isn't about people hating teachers and wanting them to be at the bottom of the queue for vaccines. This is about one group demanding, yes demanding, in the words of their unions, to be prioritised ahead of more statistically vulnerable people, against current evidence. Which is to roll out the vaccine as quickly as possible.

We are all going to be vaccinated over the coming months. It's not really the cross to be getting up on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

A friend of mine is a HSE employee and WFH. She has been vaccinated. The thinking behind it, as far as I understand, is that although she never sees a patient, she supports in an essential way those who do. Doctors etc do not care for patients without a lot of paperwork backing that up. If she got Covid and was out of work, those whom she supports would have a problem on their hands leading to more problems at the frontline. She is seen as a vital link in the chain. That's the explanation for it, I think. In actual fact, she has an 18 yr old teenager with alot of health issues, doing LC and not able to go to school a lot of the time. She practically begged for her child to be given her own vaccine but the answer was no.

Lillyfae wrote: »
    This post for a start: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116718629&postcount=1641

This isn't about people hating teachers and wanting them to be at the bottom of the queue for vaccines. This is about one group demanding, yes demanding, in the words of their unions, to be prioritised ahead of more statistically vulnerable people, against current evidence. Which is to roll out the vaccine as quickly as possible.

We are all going to be vaccinated over the coming months. It's not really the cross to be getting up on.

The question above isnt in that post but anyhows.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    A friend of mine is a HSE employee and WFH. She has been vaccinated. The thinking behind it, as far as I understand, is that although she never sees a patient, she supports in an essential way those who do. Doctors etc do not care for patients without a lot of paperwork backing that up. If she got Covid and was out of work, those whom she supports would have a problem on their hands leading to more problems at the frontline. She is seen as a vital link in the chain. That's the explanation for it, I think. In actual fact, she has an 18 yr old teenager with alot of health issues, doing LC and not able to go to school a lot of the time. She practically begged for her child to be given her own vaccine but the answer was no.

Point being there are multiple threads slagging off teachers, including this one about them asking for a vaccine they were told they would be prioritised for but not one person will question an non public facing 30 year old wfh getting the vaccine. It is a double standard and tbh it is basically a excuse to slag off teachers.

Point being there are multiple threads slagging off teachers, including this one about them asking for a vaccine they were told they would be prioritised for but not one person will question an non public facing 30 year old wfh getting the vaccine. It is a double standard and tbh it is basically a excuse to slag off teachers.

Loads of people are questioning it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭Treppen

We'll see when the votes come in.

If it's defeated, it'll show that the union leadership are drastically out of touch with their membership.

Ya I've heard this a few times but I think people are misunderstanding how it works.

The leadership aren't calling for strike, they're raising issues that some members have brought to them, if they feel enough of a cohort have brought the same issue then they'll ask all their members to vote.

At the end of the day it's up to members to proceed, not leadership.

I don't slag off teachers, in fact I always stick up for them and I have done right the way throughout covid.
    But there is no justification for them getting the vaccine before older people.
    Science says age based vaccination roll out is the best way, I'll go with science and medical experts before teachers on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Point being there are multiple threads slagging off teachers, including this one about them asking for a vaccine they were told they would be prioritised for but not one person will question an non public facing 30 year old wfh getting the vaccine.It is a double standard and tbh it is basically a excuse to slag off teachers.

Why are you making stuff up?

How much quicker would teachers have gotten the vaccine if they were prioritized?
    Can you give us a rough idea when the roll out would have started and ended for teachers ?

My understanding is all teachers will have the vaccine before they return for 2021 academic year under the age based system .

Treppen wrote: »
    Ya I've heard this a few times but I think people are misunderstanding how it works.

The leadership aren't calling for strike, they're raising issues that some members have brought to them, if they feel enough of a cohort have brought the same issue then they'll ask all their members to vote.

At the end of the day it's up to members to proceed, not leadership.

The leadership are already all over the airwaves "demanding" (their word) things from the State that have not been put to a vote of their membership.

yabadabado wrote: »
    How much quicker would teachers have gotten the vaccine if they were prioritized?
    Can you give us a rough idea when the roll out would have started and ended for teachers ?

My understanding is all teachers will have the vaccine before they return for 2021 academic year under the age based system .

Can you?

• Advertisement

Can you?

No,I can't but my union aren't demanding my profession gets priority .

If it was something that effects me I would be asking those questions .

As you are in the job was it never mentioned previously the general time scale of the roll out for teachers ?

Do you know the original timeframe?

If the teachers do vote for some type of industrial action but before they start this action they all receive their vaccinations, will they still go ahead with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

There's more deserving workers that need to be vaccined. What about all the retail workers ? Guards?

Teachers looking to go on holidays is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,319 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Has there even been a profession more adept at shooting themselves in the foot?

Talk about a tone-deaf proposal they have just voted for.

Trying to jump the queue ahead of people that may actually be at risk from Covid.

It's laughable - they have just flushed away any respect that people may have had for them - they've had a year of doing fcuk all work and still managed to moan their way through it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

If teachers are feeling hard done by, they should submit their complaints to Michael Cullen at the Beacon hospital. Or even better - maybe protest outside.
    His actions and those of a few others made Stephen Donnelly say "to hell with this groupings - lets go back to age only once the vulnerable are vaccinated".
    That is where the ire should be directed in this case.

If the teachers do vote for some type of industrial action but before they start this action they all receive their vaccinations, will they still go ahead with it?

Who cares. About 40% members will vote, even if they vote overwhelmingly for industrial action they still have to hope the 60% who won't even bother to vote will join them. It's not about pay conditions that will affect them long term it's something that all of us over 18 will be offered this year (which is quite awesome when you think about it).

I don't think anyone will strike about vaccines but there is possibility some professional groups will refuse to do riskier activities if they are not vaccinated.

Who cares. About 40% members will vote, even if they vote overwhelmingly for industrial action they still have to hope the 60% who won't even bother to vote will join them. It's not about pay conditions that will affect them long term it's something that all of us over 18 will be offered this year (which is quite awesome when you think about it).

I don't think anyone will strike about vaccines but there is possibility some professional groups/individuals will refuse to do riskier activities if they are not vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Let them strike at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

"Demands that"? Arrogance personifed. No consideration for what would benefit society as a whole.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1379742099072024578?s=19

• Advertisement

So basically they want to be vaccinated in priority ahead of older at risk people for their holidays? WTF?

Advertisement