Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The annual ASTI Easter strike threat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

How long are you willing to delay the rollout to take this risk of exposure based approach?

That's part of the problem! This approach should have been done in December, so we would have slowed the spread and truth be told have the at risk covered too and only be vaccinating the rest now.

The vitriol to teachers here would be better pointed at government! Realistically, it would need to be done in tandem with vaccinating at risk groupings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Loving this augment, we should vaccinate teachers because they live with others that are high risk, seemingly rather than vaccinating those that are actually at high risk. Lol.

Remember, these are the people that are teaching our youngsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

They shouldn't. But not all teachers are 25. Not all teachers have 3 months holidays. I'm not a teacher (my partner is) we live with her high risk mother. Most of her colleagues live with their mothers and fathers all elderly. The teachers who have their own homes have their own kids some are high risk some are not.

Point is, the cocooning elderly dont interact directly with 30 or more children, who interact with their families everyday. The teachers and their families need to be protected. My partner is a special needs teacher where social distancing is impossible, as she is expecting and has underlying health conditions she cannot go back to work as it is too risky.

If I am totally honest about it, I'm actually shocked that more blame hasn't been laid at the foot of the government. The entire population should be vaccinated at this stage, yet here we are again discussing teachers.

I do agree we all deserve the vaccine, but I think (if we aren't closing schools) that ANYONE (including shop workers, essential tradesmen etc not just teachers BTW) who interacts with people as part of their essential job, should be first. Then the most vulnerable. Then the rest of us.

And what about the months it would take to organise all this? Should we just slow down the vaccine process while we figure it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Loving this augment, we should vaccinate teachers because they live with others that are high risk, seemingly rather than vaccinating those that are actually at high risk. Lol.

It's a bizarre one alright. "We want to protect the vulnerable by taking their place further up the queue"

Loving this augment, we should vaccinate teachers because they live with others that are high risk, seemingly rather than vaccinating those that are actually at high risk.

One of the more ridiculous and selfish reasons I have seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Love the ignorance here especially when you haven't even read what was said. I'm bowing out. Your way or the highway, I'll choose the highway.

That's part of the problem! This approach should have been done in December, so we would have slowed the spread and truth be told have the at risk covered too and only be vaccinating the rest now.

The vitriol to teachers here would be better pointed at government! Realistically, it would need to be done in tandem with vaccinating at risk groupings.

The government obviously spent their time since Christmas, working with NPHET, to work out the fairest and most equitable strategy for the national vaccination programme. Age-first is fairest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Love the ignorance here especially when you haven't even read what was said. I'm bowing out. Your way or the highway, I'll choose the highway.

You come in and make your argument, accuse people of vitriol when they point out the flaws in it and then call people ignorant. I'm not sure what contribution you wished to make.

• Administrators Posts: 53,849 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

To put it in context, if the old and vulnerable were immune to covid from the start we may have had no lockdowns.

Nobody really cares if a 30 year old teacher (or any other profession) gets covid, it's going to have them off work sick for a bit and that's it. The concern today is they pass it onto someone vulnerable who then ends up in hospital or worse. People suffering at home with covid is of no real consequence.

The data shows that age is by far the biggest factor in vulnerability. We need to get vulnerable people vaccinated as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Exactly. So it makes sense to minimise any risk by vaccinating those who could bring it into the house!

Well that might solve the teacher's household but what about all the pupils that are going home to all the other houses. In their homes, relatives are unvaccinated for a longer time period because there is now a slow down in the vaccination process. And then what is the difference between an 18 year old student and a 25 year old teacher. Are these students going to be vaccinated too. Why not ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Another thing we should never forget about teaching unions is that their "solution" to pay cuts back in the FEMPI era was to make all newly qualified teachers start on significantly lower wages rather than have a universal pay cut.
    Then a few years later, they were threatening to go on strike because of the "2-tier salary scales" which existed in the profession - which they had negotiated themselves.
    Ah yes, the teaching unions - the gift that keeps on giving in terms of ridiculous logic.

which they had negotiated themselves.

Don't mention the war (again)!

Ridiculous behaviour. Absolutely flies in the face of anyone doing their best during this absolute **** show we now call life.
    Strike on, you’re not getting vaccinated so ye can go off on holidays for the summer. TS just like the rest of us.
    Let’s hope Foley holds her line now.

awec wrote: »
    To put it in context, if the old and vulnerable were immune to covid from the start we may have had no lockdowns.

Nobody really cares if a 30 year old teacher (or any other profession) gets covid, it's going to have them off work sick for a bit and that's it. The concern today is they pass it onto someone vulnerable who then ends up in hospital or worse. People suffering at home with covid is of no real consequence.

The data shows that age is by far the biggest factor in vulnerability. We need to get vulnerable people vaccinated as quickly as possible.

The only category where people should get the vaccine outside of descending age is healthcare workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

The only category where people should get the vaccine outside of descending age is healthcare workers.

Most HCW are already vaccinated aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

They shouldn't. But not all teachers are 25. Not all teachers have 3 months holidays. I'm not a teacher (my partner is) we live with her high risk mother. Most of her colleagues live with their mothers and fathers all elderly. The teachers who have their own homes have their own kids some are high risk some are not.

Point is, the cocooning elderly dont interact directly with 30 or more children, who interact with their families everyday. The teachers and their families need to be protected. My partner is a special needs teacher where social distancing is impossible, as she is expecting and has underlying health conditions she cannot go back to work as it is too risky.

If I am totally honest about it, I'm actually shocked that more blame hasn't been laid at the foot of the government. The entire population should be vaccinated at this stage, yet here we are again discussing teachers.

I do agree we all deserve the vaccine, but I think (if we aren't closing schools) that ANYONE (including shop workers, essential tradesmen etc not just teachers BTW) who interacts with people as part of their essential job, should be first. Then the most vulnerable. Then the rest of us.

Why not vaccinate the teachers in order of their vulnerability. Vaccinate those with life compromising illnesses first, then vaccinate those over 60, then those over 55 and so on. In tandem with the rest of the population.

My husband and I look after my mother who is in her late 80s. If my Mum becomes unwell due to other comorbid conditions, who will look after her if my husband and I are seriously ill or dead from Covid?

There are lots of people in their 50s and 60s looking after vulnerable older relatives or vulnerable younger people (My husband and I are the "squeezed middle").

The risk of death is a nice easy scientific line to understand. Its better than "I see more people at work than you do" or "my union is stronger than yours" or "my work is more important than yours".

Most HCW are already vaccinated aren't they?

Student medics/ student nurses/ women returning from pregnancy.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

"Demands that"? Arrogance personifed. No consideration for what would benefit society as a whole.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1379742099072024578?s=19

Is that really the position they are taking?

"If you don't tell us we're special right now, we'll go on strike in 6 months time after everyone has already had their vaccines because you didn't make us feel special when you promised you would"

What an absolute complete and total waste of Political capital.

Quin_Dub wrote: »

"If you don't tell us we're special right now, we'll go on strike in 6 months time after everyone has already had their vaccines because you didn't make us feel special when you promised you would"

#NeverSurrenderNorma

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,319 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Are their unions so stuffed with clueless clowns that not one of them could have spoken up and told them how this was going to play out?

What an own-goal the have just scored.

They have gained nothing but managed to portray themselves, in front of the whole country, as selfish, queue-jumping moaners

Any teacher with a shred of self-awareness will be ashamed of their representatives right now.

It's scary some of these people are entrusted with educating others - they could do with stepping outside their own bubble for a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Quin_Dub wrote: »

Absolutely embarrassing from the teacher unions. Not surprising though, this was predicted last week when the changes to the rollout were announced.

RTE reporting some SNA's and teachers got vaccinated after the change was announced.

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2021/0407/1208370-sna-vaccines/

I'd imagine this will lead to why them and not us too from the rest of them.

I wonder what the students will think of their teachers?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

BettyS wrote: »
    I wonder what the students will think of their teachers?

Throw in the Beacon 20 and it portrays teachers as having poor moral and ethical standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Sure everybody who's essential in the former group 10 would have been started before teachers in the old plan me included

No change before group 9 anyway as 1-8 still the same

All the old and vulnerable still getting priority

Groups 9 - 11 now

64-55 years

54-45 years

44-35 years

Any teacher in those groups better off or the same as before the change

That leaves teachers

34-25 years

24-16 years

Worse off but the same as the rest of society in their age groups

RTE reporting some SNA's and teachers got vaccinated after the change was announced.

I think this is a great example of a back up list being implemented well.

Lillyfae wrote: »
    I think this is a great example of a back up list being implemented well.

Thats what they are spinning, called from a list so jabs didn't go to waste but called on Friday for appointments on Tuesday? That doesn't ring true.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If that was the best way to avoid any wastage then I don't think anyone should have an issue with it.

Seems very childish of teachers/SNA complaining simply because it didn't happen in their area.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Do the Teaching Unions realise that their childish screaming and moaning about being dropped off the list, means that if they get their way, older people may die? Are they really that selfish?

A part of me is happy that the Teaching Unions are prepared to commit a PR Hari-Kari in full view of the Irish public. They have seriously misread the public mood on this one. Are they really that stupid.. really? These are supposed to be the educators of our children and what kind of example are they setting?

This will go down with the other long list of messes the Teaching Unions have brought on to themselves.

• Advertisement

Thats what they are spinning, called from a list so jabs didn't go to waste but called on Friday for appointments on Tuesday? That doesn't ring true.

I wouldn't read into it too much. It could have been the famous double booking, or people refusing vaccines. I've no problem with local special schools teachers, SNAs etc being on backup lists.

Advertisement