Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The annual ASTI Easter strike threat

Options

Comments

Neyite wrote: »
    Do you have a link to that please?

A link to the vaccines stopping spread (as above) or the specific nasal statement?

Neyite wrote: »
    Do you have a link to that please?

Knock yourself out

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

A link to the vaccines stopping spread (as above) or the specific nasal statement?

A link to both if you have it.

Studies are starting to indicate that it might reduce transmission but my understanding is that there's no studies that prove the virus is NOT transmissible by vaccinated people. So if I'm wrong, and there is evidence that shows vaccinated people don't transmit the virus spread I'm happy to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

A

The teachers will have gained nothing, absolutely nothing from this fiasco and will have lost a massive amount of public respect.

What public respect. When I went to school all you could hear from teachers was "when I get the fella who let that fart...". "Keep your farts for the leaving cert exam. When the supervisor gets a whiff of that he will stay well away from you. Then you can cog away."

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Knock yourself out

Thank you for that it's very interesting, but...this is from the first page:

"However, the effect of vaccination on viral loads in COVID-19 post-vaccination infections is yet unknown"

And this:

"NOTE: This preprint reports new research that has not been certified by peer review and should not be used to guide clinical practice"

It's hopeful and very promising, it's great that there might be some reduction in transmission - however it is yet to be verified, it's very early studies after all.

However, teachers will still be in a room with potential un-vaccinated and typically asymptomatic carriers, and can still catch and transmit the virus onwards to their families.They can still catch covid from their household and transmit it in the schools to unvaccinated people themselves. They just won't get seriously sick themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

What public respect. When I went to school all you could hear from teachers was "when I get the fella who let that fart...". "Keep your farts for the leaving cert exam. When the supervisor gets a whiff of that he will stay well away from you. Then you can cog away."

Thats cracking me up :)
    I got a crack on the ear for farting in class once.

Seriously though, i love when people write things about strikers like "They will the respect of the public". As if that even means anything at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

John Boyle of INTO in the radio earlier ,I hope the other union leaders are better than him otherwise the gov. will die laughing .

Matt Cooper couldn't have given him an easier interview and he still did nothing to advance his case .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

yabadabado wrote: »
    How much quicker would teachers have gotten the vaccine if they were prioritized?
    Can you give us a rough idea when the roll out would have started and ended for teachers ?

My understanding is all teachers will have the vaccine before they return for 2021 academic year under the age based system .

Bump .

I'm wondering does anyone know the answer to this?

I thought the unions would have made this info available to their members when the original system was announced but seemingly not.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Bump .

I thought the unions would have made this info available to their members when the original system was announced but seemingly not.

As I understand it , not a huge amount.

Under the old plan they'd have been starting in mid-May and finished in July or so.

Some will still get vaccinated on that schedule but the youngest ones , the 21-25 year olds will now probably be getting done in the August timeframe.

In short - Under the old plan , very few Teachers would have been fully vaccinated before the end of the school year regardless.

In all likelihood a not dissimilar number of teachers will be fully vaccinated by the end of term under the new plan , but it will be age based rather than "all teachers".

Based on current projections though , everyone over 18 will be vaccinated by September anyway so the threat of striking then for "Vaccine Priority" is utterly disingenuous.

Bump .

Everybody should be fully vaccinated by September. Or sooner. They are almost at 30k capacity, per day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

B3-AD80-F7-A36-B-4-E45-A5-D1-3-ABE8-CD2037-B.jpg

:D thanks for this! So so appropriate :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Oh right, so younger teachers will get their vaccinations in August instead of July?

They’ll be in lots of danger then ON THEIR 2-3 MONTH SUMMER HOLIDAYS...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,417 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Having listened to radio interviews with teacher's union officials all week I have to ask 2 questions...

1) Do they ever listen to the questions?
    2) Do they ever answer the questions?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Teachers have no evidence teachers are more at risk than the general population. All they have is the facebook Karens saying how they're in a room with 30 kids.

The experts say age based is best.

The experts say schools are safe.

Teachers do not believe the experts and scientists. Teachers are anti science.

The head of ASTI was laughable just there on Six One.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

There won't be any teacher strike, unless they've lost their minds altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Orlando Wailing Tackle

Having listened to radio interviews with teacher's union officials all week I have to ask 2 questions...

1) Do they ever listen to the questions?
    2) Do they ever answer the questions?

this is the problem with teachers, the majority of them have never entered the real world and left the school enviornment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

In our area there is a Home Care non for profit company . For over a year the staff have visited multiple clients in multiple homes every day of the week. They only received their initial jab a couple of weeks ago. Throughout that time not one of over 240 staff contracted covid.

You do not get closer or more personal than their duties require.

Likewise, there is an enormous Pharma plant here. Hundreds on site 24/7 No positives.
    Not even one.

What aspect of personal responsibility are teachers neglecting that they experience such angst in their duties?

As good a time as ever to confront these parasitial self entitled unions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Teachers have no evidence teachers are more at risk than the general population. All they have is the facebook Karens saying how they're in a room with 30 kids.

The experts say age based is best.

The experts say schools are safe.

Teachers do not believe the experts and scientists. Teachers are anti science.

Oh would the stats that DR Luke o Neill was quoting not do ya or do you just ignore science and make incorret statements, he quotes a number od studies

Special Needs teachers 3 times more likely to catch Covid Class teachers 1.9 times more likely.
    ONS stats Teachers Second highest to get Long Covid after HCWs, 25% of teachers in UK with Long Covid which is 112,O00 teachers v 122,000.

But yeah like no evidence :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Facebook Karens :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

this is the problem with teachers, the majority of them have never entered the real world and left the school enviornment

Very true.

I was on a holiday with a teacher and arrived late to this tiny town, passing through. We were looking for food but it was late and no one was around, it was mid week. Saw this chip shop and said we'd go in there. Notice it's closing but go ahead an order anyways. They said they were sorry as they didn't have the chicken the teacher wanted.

You should have seen the big red steaming face on them. Just said nothing and had this bull thick face on them as their eyes popped out of their head. Just like if a student told a teacher they forgot their homework again. They must have been very close to start stomping their feet!

I said to the shop worker, that's no problem, do you have beef? And I went on from there.

As someone who lives in the real world, I was understanding that small time chip shops might run out of certain foods before closing because they would end up throwing it out and losing money on it if they ordered too much. The teacher obviously didn't understand it though.

• Advertisement

Incorrect

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Cool story , Pussyhands. That’s really socking it to school staff . I’m sure we all stand in shame. Put us all on the Pup . That will sort us out .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,319 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The main issue is they spend all their time in an echo chamber staffroom moaning to each other about how bad they have it.

They are clueless as to how they are perceived by the rest of society with their long holidays and cushy hours.

Only a representative body of an insular and tone deaf profession could have come out with today’s nonsense.

They will get nothing from it.

They might as well have handed the Government a loaded gun and asked to be shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Oh my god teachers haven’t covered themselves in glory with this one. Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

The main issue is they spend all their time in an echo chamber staffroom moaning to each other about how bad they have it.

They are clueless as to how they are perceived by the rest of society with their long holidays and cushy hours.

Only a representative body of an insular and tone deaf profession could have come out with today’s nonsense.

They might as well have handed the Government a loaded gun and asked to be shot.

They got one thing out of it - they handed Norma Foley an easy win on a plate.

When I was training and got significant study leave, at review time my salary was presented to me as €X which was the annualised number. Then the number was reduced to take account of the extra weeks off over and above normal holiday entitlements.

A teacher on €50k is really getting €70k.

There are also loads of people in my industry working side by side in the same roles at the same level but on different salaries purely as a functio of when they entered the industry. e.g. someone in ‘06 came in on more than someone in 2010. But nobody rants and raves about it because that’s life.

Funny you mention echochambers but always the same cohort slagging off teachers on various threads on boards sad really

• Registered Users Posts: 9,417 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

They got one thing out of it - they handed Norma Foley an easy win on a plate.

That's for sure. And it wont be forgotten by the government or the public. It always important to pick your battles. Deluded.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

That's for sure. And it wont be forgotten by the government or the public. It always important to pick your battles. Deluded.

On another note what gets me with the public is the total lack of support re children with AN - during jan / feb there was the usual think of the children - children with AN are regressing etc etc but when it came allocation of SET for next year no not a peep. There are children waiting years for badly needed assessments no not a peep. There are children who can’t access school places next Sep due to the limited spaces in special schools no not a peep. The removal of OT and speech and language support from special schools to a community based model will have a serious impact on children in special schools - no not a peep. All of these have been reported on over the last few months yet very little outrage or comment on here. The public - unless you have a child affected by the above issues or you work in Education ( and that includes the unions believe it or not ) - don’t give a fiddlers. So I personally aren’t too bothered re public opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Be right back

Jim Root wrote: »
    Oh my god teachers haven’t covered themselves in glory with this one. Jesus Christ.

I heard a rep from one of their unions saying that teachers are exhausted. How dare he. They have had so much time off, working over Zoom and still not happy.

Advertisement