Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The annual ASTI Easter strike threat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭onrail

I'm often prone to a bit of teacher bashing, but actually feel a bit sorry for them here. It seems as if the vast majority don't support the position the union have taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

onrail wrote: »
    I'm often prone to a bit of teacher bashing, but actually feel a bit sorry for them here. It seems as if the vast majority don't support the position the union have taken.

well they have a chance by ballot to inform the union of such displeasure if it exists

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Teacher bashing��. Cop on. I'd say the mods are flat out dealing with reported posts because a teacher felt offended. Debate was shut down on the OTHER thread and as I predicted its now an echo chamber.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

onrail wrote: »

Was that before or after the backlash.

I’m guessing but I’m sure I’m correct in saying that most teachers fully supported the unions stance on fighting the priority change and only changed position when realising they didn’t have public support and are now pretending that their position was always against the union.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

The amount of strawmen being built up on this thread - mostly by teachers I have to say - is a bit shocking. And pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

.42. wrote: »

I’m guessing but I’m sure I’m correct in saying that most teachers fully supported the unions stance on fighting the priority change and only changed position when realising they didn’t have public support and are now pretending that their position was always against the union.

The vast majority of teachers in my school supported the union on this.

/edit/ and still support the union even after the backlash of the last few days. WhatsApp group buzzing ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Funny watching teachers on here play victims, just because people think what their unions (and them in support of their unions) are doing is deplorable.

There is no justification demanding a vaccine before higher risk people.

The holidays in this case are applicable as it makes teachers low/no risk. End of in my opinion.

Let's be honest they should be behind every single retail worker if we make a real priority list. As they will continue to be at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

One gets the impression that (some) teachers think the rest of us enjoy lives of amontillado sherries and garden parties while they're storming the Normandy beaches. Life is suffering, for all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

Windorah wrote: »
    It's maddening but the media fuel it. HSE staff who are not in public facing rolls have been vaccinated. OT's, physio's etc have been vaccinated despite still working from home. The passport office has not been operating fully due to "being unable" to be in the office. Transport workers refusing to go above 50% capacity until they are vaccinated. Office workers working from home for over a year now...But how dare teachers question the need for a vaccine when working in, often, poorly ventilated rooms with upwards of twenty plus non mask wearing people...

For what it's worth I am more than happy to continue to teach and work unvaccinated as I want schools to stay open but we are always the scapegoats. It's exhausting!!!

A physio and an OT working from home? Really? That shows you how little you understand other people’s professions.

People don’t want to teacher-bash. But you cannot blame the public for being mad at the ASTI

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

BPKS wrote: »
    They seem to be very sensitive souls judging by the yellow cards dished out on this thread.

I thought a bit of steel, balls, backbone whatever you want to call it is needed as a teacher so that the students don't run all over you.

Seems to be lacking by a lot of 'bashed' teachers I've seen on media/social media these last few days.

The yellow cards end up deterring any meaningful conversation. Some of them are clearly just vexatious

• Advertisement

The vast majority of teachers in my school supported the union on this.

/edit/ and still support the union even after the backlash of the last few days. WhatsApp group buzzing ...

Fair play to them. It think it's an outrageous and uneducated abuse of union powers.

Each to their own.

A rush to be vaccinated just in time for a non work period where risk is gone just seems a stupid demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

.42. wrote: »

I'm pretty sure you're wrong. I don't know anyone personally who supported the union's stance at the beginning. There was about 15 of us in school on the day the stance was reported and all 15 people (including two over 60s) totally disagreed with it.
    In general, public support isn't something given to teachers often so it wouldn't have much of an effect to be honest.

Most of us just want to get on with our jobs and continue to make up lost contact time with our students. We wouldn't have been vaccinated before the holidays anyway so it makes no difference. My 60 year old parents should 1000% be vaccinated before me.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Treppen wrote: »
    Well then you need to lobby your Union properly... Or threaten to walk away ( especially if there are no repercussions)

You're preaching mob mentality, instead of leaving a burning stadium calmly, you're the person at the back panicking and shoving people trying to get out first and causing chaos.
    You're the panicked swimming, climbing on top of the rescuer pushing them under.

Your basically saying everyone should storm the vaccine centers and just take what we think we deserve.

Edit: instead of taking the logical, scientific advise

Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

I think this would be a great opportunity for the government to bring in some proper professional development structures, let’s enable principals to fire sh1te teachers. The unions have hampered a proper performance review system, some token elements were added a few years back.

Right now the government has the upper hand, they can force through large reforms, the public will support the government in a large protracted strike. The teachers have pissed off joe voter, like the fr. Ted video doing the rounds, they want two parachutes and screw everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Valhallapt wrote: »
    I think this would be a great opportunity for the government to bring in some proper professional development structures, let’s enable principals to fire sh1te teachers. The unions have hampered a proper performance review system, some token elements were added a few years back.

Right now the government has the upper hand, they can force through large reforms, the public will support the government in a large protracted strike. The teachers have pissed off joe voter, like the fr. Ted video doing the rounds, they want two parachutes and screw everybody else.

Performance review system? Firing poorly performing teachers?

Absolutely no chance. Will never happen. To be fair the performance review system across the public service is a tick-the-box exercise. Nobody gets fired unless they doing something criminal.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

There would be big public support to reduce the crazy powers some unions hold.

Refusal to do your job should at least mean you don't get paid.

If they went after unions now, they might have the support required to sort them out.

If they went after unions now, they might have the support required to sort them out.

Yea, the iron is hot, public will back the government to put unions back in their place.

To all the teachers.

I sincerely hope you enjoy what’s left of your Easter break. You’re doing your job and I commend you for that. I know I couldn’t do it.

I think the stress of life as we now know it is getting to us all. I still stand by the vaccine by age approach but if any of my posts about it have wound you up, I’m sorry. I don’t wish to add any more strain to already high stress levels.

Oh, and the next time you’re looking for a pay rise more staff, better working conditions, etc - I’ll back you 100%! You can quote me on it :)

Just support the rollout of vaccines by age - please.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Teacher bashing��. Cop on. I'd say the mods are flat out dealing with reported posts because a teacher felt offended. Debate was shut down on the OTHER thread and as I predicted its now an echo chamber.
    BPKS wrote: »
    They seem to be very sensitive souls judging by the yellow cards dished out on this thread.

I thought a bit of steel, balls, backbone whatever you want to call it is needed as a teacher so that the students don't run all over you.

Seems to be lacking by a lot of 'bashed' teachers I've seen on media/social media these last few days.
    BettyS wrote: »
    The yellow cards end up deterring any meaningful conversation. Some of them are clearly just vexatious

Mod:

If all the three of you are going to do is bitch and moan about mod actions you can all sit out this thread.

Discuss the topic in a civil manner, not other posters or mod actions, or do not post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Yea, the iron is hot, public will back the government to put unions back in their place.

Do you know who the current Taoiseach is?

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    Do you know who the current Taoiseach is?

We get so many of our politicians from the teaching pool.

Edit: removed tongue in cheek comment that went too far. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

31 people in a room ,, from 31 different households 30 unmasked ,1 sink ( if that) for hand washing , poor cough hygiene absolutely no social distancing ,5 hours in a badly ventilated space, how is that not frontline ?

Oh please

In an environment that has consistently proven to be safer than normal public spaces.

Teachers are not frontline and
    Will never be frontline

Fair play to them. It think it's an outrageous and uneducated abuse of union powers.

Each to their own.

A rush to be vaccinated just in time for a non work period where risk is gone just seems a stupid demand.

Just in time for the holidays making a trip away a whole lot easier

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Oh please

In an environment that has consistently proven to be safer than normal public spaces.

Teachers are not frontline and
    Will never be frontline

They classed themselves non essential in January. I do remember that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,502 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Just in time for the holidays making a trip away a whole lot easier

A trip away? Where the back garden?

But you know that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Newbie20 wrote: »
    You are right in that those things have absolutely nothing to do with this discussion. However, the people out there that are bitter about the holidays we get can’t help having a pop about holidays whenever there is any discussion teacher related.

Anybody can say that we don’t deserve the vaccine earlier and they are perfectly entitled to say that. Personally I’m happy to wait if I knew that teachers would have the vaccine by the start of next school year. I don’t think that would be an unfair request and I think a lot of the unions wording has been unhelpful. But when people bring long holidays, “cushy” hours into the argument, then they show their true colours.

Anyone I have talked too about this didn`t have a problem as such with the long holidays.
    The problem they had is that the schools will be closed in a few weeks, and they believe it`s as much to do with teachers looking to have a vaccination passport that will allow them to travel during the holidays as anything else.

charlie14 wrote: »
    Anyone I have talked too about this didn`t have a problem as such with the long holidays.
    The problem they had is that the schools will be closed in a few weeks, and they believe it`s as much to do with teachers looking to have a vaccination passport that will allow them to travel during the holidays as anything else.

Only logic I can see. No risk based justification.

Let them strike if need be. Gov cannot allow any group to push its way up the queue now.

A trip away? Where the back garden?

But you know that already.

Spain
    Italy
    Greece
    Portugal

There are numerous countries gearing up for the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,502 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Spain
    Italy
    Greece
    Portugal

There are numerous countries gearing up for the summer

Yeah I doubt that's the plan teachers have.

• Advertisement

Yeah I doubt that's the plan teachers have.

So what is the plan? Get vaccinated to stay at home for 3 months after and no risk?

If there is some logic to their request please do inform us.

Advertisement