Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Civil service career progression

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

KaneToad wrote: »
    Is there any assessment of managers based on their staff satisfaction/progression ? In the private sector, I've come across very few managers who are trying to raise all boats - most are trying to paddle their canoe while feigning otherwise! Does the public sector address this any better?

PMDS is done downwards but feeds upwards, so every manager will have their own manager who will do an assessment of that manager's performance which should include things like staff performance and (probably to a lesser extent), morale. Something like a staff satisfaction survey would be an unfair way of measuring a manager's performance - from what I've seen, some would be crucified for little or no reason, especially dependent on the Department they happened to work in.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 CivilServantCP

Is promotion to HEO from CO common in internal competitions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭EarlyStorms

I wouldn't say it's common but it certainly does happen, I know of at least 2 examples in recent times personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

It usually happens for people who worked in managerial positions in the private sector who joined the CS as a CO just to get the foot in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 CivilServantCP

From what i can make of it mobility as a CO away from Dublin is about as valuable for a midpoint (Point 6ish on the scale) CO as promotion to EO. The jump in money is marginal and if you have private sector managerial experience I would argue a move to EO could be a waste of time, rather than moving closer to home and focusing on getting the competencies examples in order and ready for an internal or open HEO campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Could describe me. Re-entered public service having been in private sector management for over 10 years (got tired of working long hours and weekends). Was a TCO for a few summers while in college. Got promoted to EO while still on CO probation....hoping to go for internal HEO when it opens in a few months.

Advertisement