Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Advice

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭spuddy4711

Go to where you feel may be the wettest part, and dig a hole, say 50cm square, deep as you like, but

but don’t break into the subsoil.

Do the same where it seems to be most dry.

See what happens when you pour similar amounts of water into each. Or just wait for heavy rain.

If this part of your garden is higher, and has been overgrown, it’s unlikely to be wetter, that’s usually a

problem with parts lower down. A simpler test is to stand or stamp on the grass when it’s wet. Poor

soakage will show as a puddle underfoot. This may simply be caused by the topsoil being compacted.

Use a garden fork to penetrate the area as tightly spaced as you have the energy for. Some people

fill the holes with horticultural sand to aid drainage. Foundations for your garden room will be fit for

purpose, damp soil will not pose difficulty. I would start by feeding the grass, even in a test area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

spuddy4711 wrote: »
    Go to where you feel may be the wettest part, and dig a hole, say 50cm square, deep as you like, but

but don’t break into the subsoil.

Do the same where it seems to be most dry.

See what happens when you pour similar amounts of water into each. Or just wait for heavy rain.

If this part of your garden is higher, and has been overgrown, it’s unlikely to be wetter, that’s usually a

problem with parts lower down. A simpler test is to stand or stamp on the grass when it’s wet. Poor

soakage will show as a puddle underfoot. This may simply be caused by the topsoil being compacted.

Use a garden fork to penetrate the area as tightly spaced as you have the energy for. Some people

fill the holes with horticultural sand to aid drainage. Foundations for your garden room will be fit for

purpose, damp soil will not pose difficulty. I would start by feeding the grass, even in a test area.

Sincere apologies - I forgot to thank you for your time and advice. Will certainly take that on board. Please see next post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

Hi all

Really appreciated everyone’s time and advice. I have another post up on a garden design that I did and I’d really welcome view points.

I know it’s lacking in the planting department so welcome advice on that.

In no particular order I like
    - magnolia
    - copper birch
    - silver birch
    - chamelia
    - Japanese acer
    - jasmine
    - lavender
    - red Robin
    - tulips
    - snowdrops (my 6Nations advent calendar)

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058180619/1/#post116980453

Advertisement