Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Masters 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,513 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ah here

Well he's certainly not playing well and this missing very short putts is a new thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭topnotch

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Do you have Eir broadband? Free on eir sports with the app.

Nice one thanks for that.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

Irrelevant. Its his form now that matters.Hes become another padraig harrington. Droning on about what he's doing with his game and not doing with his game and still ending up imploding.ill be surprised if he makes the cut never mind win it.

People exaggerate about his fall from grace. It hasn't been a decade since he's done anything in a major. If you're talking about a decade, he's won 4. It's relevant if you're pointing out that people are exaggerating his fall.

He is in a slump at the moment, that's clear. And it's disappointing that he hasn't won a major for 6 years when he's been one of the best in the world in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Can't see Shane or Rory in contention, never know what's coming with either, might be 67 67 or 67 76,no consistency. Speith the form guy with c+d history, can't be dismissed, Hideki goes well here, ew possibilities, wide open as usual, and having worked BH Monday I'll be off from Thursday evening. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭newport2

blue note wrote: »
    People exaggerate about his fall from grace. It hasn't been a decade since he's done anything in a major. If you're talking about a decade, he's won 4. It's relevant if you're pointing out that people are exaggerating his fall.

He is in a slump at the moment, that's clear. And it's disappointing that he hasn't won a major for 6 years when he's been one of the best in the world in that time.

If he does win more, this gap will barely be a blip when looking back at his career. Arnold Palmer won all his majors between 1958 and 1964, a 6 year spell. ie outside of that he won no majors in his whole career. Who talks about that now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

You can narrow down the field based on the following.
    1. Course knowledge - Westwood / Scott / Johnson / Reed
    2. Course Form - Johnson / Im / Smith
    3. Solid tee play - Morikawa / Im / Simpson all high in current stats.
    4. Putting - Oosthuizen / Smith / Im all up there

I'd go for Im or Smith to win based on form now and a good recent run here behind them.
    Morikawa hasn't played much this year but still has three decent tournaments behind him, has no form here yet though.

Westwood never won it, Im only played there once, Simpson is completely.out of form,
    You make no mention of Spieth or Koepka which is weird with Koepka having consecutive top tens and Spieth a former winner and twice runner up and in form.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Westwood never won it, Im only played there once, Simpson is completely.out of form,
    You make no mention of Spieth or Koepka which is weird with Koepka having consecutive top tens and Spieth a former winner and twice runner up and in form.

Westwood in good form and nearly won it twice.
    Simpson is a dark horse and if he starts well anywhere usually stays the course.
    Im only once due to his age but as expected last year hit the ground running.

Speith won last week which was important for him based on his return to form, people don't win here having won the previous week.
    Koepka is injured and playing with the rest of his career by pushing through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Koepka hasn't a hope

Can barely walk by the sounds of things

Banker to miss the cut imo

Westwood in good form and nearly won it twice. Simpson is a dark horse and if he starts well anywhere usually stays the course. Im only once due to his age but as expected last year hit the ground running.
    Well neither Westwood or Simpson made it out of their group in the match play and both missed the cut in their previous tournament to that.
    Im is unpredictable, interesting to see how he performs after a very rare week off.
    Speith won last week which was important for him based on his return to form, people don't win here having won the previous week. Koepka is injured and playing with the rest of his career by pushing through it.
    Mickelson won the week before the Masters and won the Masters, Sandy Lyle too. Both of them are multiple major winners just like Spieth.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well neither Westwood or Simpson made it out of their group in the match play and both missed the cut in their previous tournament to that.
    Im is unpredictable, interesting to see how he performs after a very rare week off.

Mickelson won the week before the Masters and won the Masters, Sandy Lyle too. Both of them are multiple major winners just like Spieth.

You are using matchplay golf as a benchmark now?

Two cases of wins leading in to the masters in how many years? It took a hell of a lot out of Speith last week I'd say, he has been close a lot in the last year without following through on a Sunday.

We will see come Sunday on the 10th tee for the final group sure, I don't have any money on it for once so it won't be my pocket hoping for certain outcome for a change, will enjoy this one as its wide open.

I'm just mentioning their last two tournaments. If you want me to leave out the match play that's fine. Then they both missed the cut in their last tournaments.
    Two cases of wins leading in to the masters in how many years? It took a hell of a lot out of Speith last week I'd say, he has been close a lot in the last year without following through on a Sunday.
    And being close each week took nothing out if him but winning did? He's been the most consistent golfer over the last two and a half months.
    We will see come Sunday on the 10th tee for the final group sure, I don't have any money on it for once so it won't be my pocket hoping for certain outcome for a change, will enjoy this one as its wide open.
    It's going to be great as per normal. My favourite tournament and nothing comes close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

I know what your saying about back to back wins but what do you mean here about Spieth?

I think it will give him huge confidence for this week. Strongly fancy him.
    He got a good 1st round draw and i think he may do another wire-to-wire win like 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Koepka hasn't a hope

Can barely walk by the sounds of things

Banker to miss the cut imo

This is my thinking. Would love to see him do well but he is talking about trying to find alternative routes down the 9th and 10th holes so he doesn't have to walk on too much of a downslope which is a major red flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I heard Butch Harmon saying that Augusta is essentially a second shot course. With the distance they are all hitting the ball these days, it boils down to a wedge-and-putt competition. Whoever has the best wedge and putting stats will probably win. I would rule out Rory on this basis. I think it’s between Speith, Thomas and DJ.
    DeChambeau may have learned his lesson last year and dial down his tee shots. In Augusta, position off the tee is much more relevant than distance. Bryson could spring a surprise by playing a more conservative game which he has shown signs of recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I heard Butch Harmon saying that Augusta is essentially a second shot course. With the distance they are all hitting the ball these days, it boils down to a wedge-and-putt competition. Whoever has the best wedge and putting stats will probably win. I would rule out Rory on this basis. I think it’s between Speith, Thomas and DJ.
    DeChambeau may have learned his lesson last year and dial down his tee shots. In Augusta, position off the tee is much more relevant than distance. Bryson could spring a surprise by playing a more conservative game which he has shown signs of recently.

It's just not that simple though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Sergio garcia has a alot of top ten finishes at Augusta. He is a big outsider but I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes top ten again. The course suits his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

B lotto 79 wrote:
    Agree with you. Sergio is a definite dark horse. Unlike other majors, the Masters is a place where favourites do well.

He can't be that dark a horse. Only a couple of years since he won it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

First Up wrote: »

Plus the fact he’s actually playing really well lately.

I think Sergio is the furthest thing from a dark horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

He's just a show pony then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Sergio won't be far off, surprised he's so big in the betting.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

The app is really good. You can watch any player you want through out their round.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭antgal23

Sergio won't be far off, surprised he's so big in the betting.

I agree, past champ in decent form

I think JT and Spieth will have a shout come Sunday, both in good form , proven winners and young

Mixed feelings about DJ's chances

Don't think Rory or Brooks will feature come Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 9 B lotto 79

First Up wrote: »

Ya meant in terms of his odds. He is in pretty good form at moment. If I was picking anyone outside the “favourites” it’d be him.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Concerned2

Like most its JT or Spieth for me. Some people always seem to know how to score well enough on this course to at least make the cut like Langer and Couples. In that vein even though not in form I think Justin Rose would be a decent bet at a top 5 finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

Does the Masters have Shot Tracker?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

What.Now wrote: »
    Does the Masters have Shot Tracker?

Yes, on the app and website.

They also have live feeds of every shot from every player (you have to add a player to "your favourites" to follow them). It's a great set up, I've the field selected and getting all the shots. No commentary, which isn't always a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

PARlance wrote: »
    Yes, on the app and website.

They also have live feeds of every shot from every player (you have to add a player to "your favourites" to follow them). It's a great set up, I've the field selected and getting all the shots. No commentary, which isn't always a bad thing.

Thanks, Found it. That's some set up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

antgal23 wrote: »

Don't think Rory or Brooks will feature come Sunday

I don't think Rory will see saturday to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Would always recommend using the Masters site here instead of PGA.

PGA and European Tour apps/sites will be well behind as they aren't the 'official' site for the Masters. They aren't inputting scores themselves but are having them sent via data providers so will be behind.

Advertisement