Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless After seperation

Options
2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 17 RStoneX

Just because you've had bad experiences with people don't tar me with the same brush , if you want to be An asshole you can be an asshole somewhere else

Get it real, no one forced you out, you put yourself in this situation.

You lived rent free for years yet you don't have EUR1500 to pay deposit and first month rent?! What a joke!

I live in Dublin and if I have be out I am able to pay deposit and more than 1 month rent upfront even though I'm not on a 6 figure salary, nowhere close to it.

I don't live off someone's wages, I don't have family to "help me get back on my feet". I study, work, upskill, work and save for my future. I am a mature/responsible professional, unlike you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

RStoneX do not post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Imaginebaggins

<MOD SNIP>

If you have an issue with a post please report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Best of luck OP, hope it works out for you.

Who pissed in your cornflakes?

Best of luck in OP, hope it works out for you.

Thanks , but he has a few things wrong in the first place , I didn't live rent free for years , I was the sole earner in the house so it's not easy to save in that situation I think he's just a troll , I've been approved for hap and now I'm trying to find a place , I don't actually want hap but my kids still need to eat and I still have obligations so I need the help

• Advertisement

<MOD SNIP>

If you have an issue with a post please report it.

Fair enough, I have thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Soooo , I've been away from here for a few days , thanks for all the replies, I managed to get a place for a few days and have been approved for hap, now the struggle of finding a landlord to take hap starts, I understand why they don't bother with it I would prefer not to need it but with maintenance payments , bills and such I figured out that I will need it to survive. Has anyone got any tips when looking and talking to landlords.

You're going to need the HAP anyway as it will be such a struggle to manage your own place and also covering towards maintenance.

You should seek advice anyway about your entitlements. Fortunately you're not in a position to have to also contribute to mortgage payments. You might also be entitled to a share in the family home if you have made contributions to it.

Explain to potential landlords that you could rent without HAP but as you have been accepted, it means neither you nor a landlord has to worry about rent being paid. As HAP is paid in arrears, you'd get an advantage if you could offer to make a payment up front. It works out you in front of other applicants, showing that you are even less of a risk than a private renter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Notmything

Thanks , but he has a few things wrong in the first place , I didn't live rent free for years , I was the sole earner in the house so it's not easy to save in that situation I think he's just a troll , I've been approved for hap and now I'm trying to find a place , I don't actually want hap but my kids still need to eat and I still have obligations so I need the help

Ignore the troll.

Hopefully you get back on your feet and get your situation straightened. Been there myself. One thing to consider when looking for accommodation is if you will be having your children to stay over.

Also you can apply for social housing and put your children down on the application. You might need proof of access and guardianship so make sure you get all that. Also have a record of maintenance/child support payments as you will need them.

Finally there is a tax credit for single parents. It normally goes to the mother but if she is not working then it's essentially wasted. She can, however, assign it to you. The form can be downloaded from revenue. Depending on your relationship with her you can point out that it will reduce your tax so make it easier to pay her child support.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

Notmything wrote: »
    Ignore the troll.

Finally there is a tax credit for single parents. It normally goes to the mother but if she is not working then it's essentially wasted. She can, however, assign it to you. The form can be downloaded from revenue. Depending on your relationship with her you can point out that it will reduce your tax so make it easier to pay her child support.

There is also the prickly issue of joint tax assessment. If you are jointly assessed, your ex may decide she wishes to be singly assessed, leaving you in a situation with less allowances and credits.

Bear it in mind when you are working out your finances.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Bicyclette wrote: »
    There is also the prickly issue of joint tax assessment. If you are jointly assessed, your ex may decide she wishes to be singly assessed, leaving you in a situation with less allowances and credits.

Bear it in mind when you are working out your finances.

Absolutely! I did this in the middle of a tax year and ended up with a 3k tax bill!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement