Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No representation, no vote!

• 05-04-2021 3:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭

Was chatting to a few of the lads last night. Nobody represents the views of a large chunk of the electorate... voting for the least bad option like large amounts of us have done, wont cut it for us any more... with the current farces, that we have. A movement of mass adoption of non voting, seems to ms to be the best way to drive change, register the disgust and need for new parties. Would you agree ?

The current choices, are so samey, it's like arguing over which shade of white they are...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

A “none of the above” or “re-open nominations” option on the ballot paper would be a welcome addition.

One of my biggest “concerns” with electronic voting, aside from the hacking, was the fact here was no way for someone to spoil their vote.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Was chatting to a few of the lads last night. Nobody represents the views of a large chunk of the electorate... voting for the least bad option like large amounts of us have done, wont cut it for us any more... with the current farces, that we have. A movement of mass adoption of non voting, seems to ms to be the best way to drive change, register the disgust and need for new parties. Would you agree ?

The current choices, are so samey, it's like arguing over which shade of white they are...

What counts as a large chunk of the electorate? 15 or 20% maybe?
    Surely if no-one currently represents that chunk on the issues which are most important to them, then it is incredibly easy for someone to grab that ground and win 15/20% of the seats in the next locals/GE.

You could even start it up yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

People have been commenting on the lack of a typical middle-of-the-road conservative party for years now, and it makes sense to me too that there should be a market for one, but the fact that one hasn't been formed to fill that apparent gap speaks for itself I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

A “none of the above” or “re-open nominations” option on the ballot paper would be a welcome addition.

One of my biggest “concerns” with electronic voting, aside from the hacking, was the fact here was no way for someone to spoil their vote.

If you don’t vote, you have absolutely no right to complain about who is in power. You didn’t even try. A spoiled vote is not a protest, it’s a waste of time.

On the OP’s argument, the current crop of TD’s (and I include the entire Dail) is ruled by what is said on Twitter. Reactionary nonsense for clicks. That doesn’t represent me at all but I still will vote every single time I have to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

This is better suited to the politics forum, please discuss it there

Thread closed

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1728

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement