Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Painting ironmongery

• 05-04-2021 4:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

I've got a few hanging basket brackets and a gate to paint.

Tried today with a tin of hammerite (after sanding and prepping them).

Not that happy with the finish, hammerite is very thick and seems to drag with the brush.

Tempted to start again once dry.

What are better options for paint for metal? Some spots of rust.

Black satin or gloss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭mags1962

Best to sand the Rust spots back to bare metal and give all old paint a sanding to remove remove any loose paint to give the new paint something to adhere to.
    I would prefer to get it back to all bare metal and then Spray with a Galvanising Undercoat, normally grey or silver, and then Spray on the top coat in stages, thin coats and build up to your preferred finish, Matt, Satin or Gloss.
    You might think that this is overkill and will be pain in the backside but it's more about a job well done for me and more personally satisfying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Not a big fan of spray paints, but could give it ago.

Which paint brands do you recommend?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anyone ever tried a rust converting spray or paint?
    i've what seem to be rolled steel gutters with cast iron downpipes so something that can convert and seal the rust would be ideal, otherwise i'll be at this until the next pandemic.

Advertisement