Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting with pets

Options
  • 05-04-2021 4:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

I'm viewing properties for rent. Is there any way to get landlords or estate agencies to accept pets. I don't have a huge collection of pets, just a small cat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I'm viewing properties for rent. Is there any way to get landlords or estate agencies to accept pets. I don't have a huge collection of pets, just a small cat.

Try a much bigger deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Or just don’t mention it. No landlord or agent is likely to accept a pet. There was a thread few weeks back about a tenant over holding because he couldn’t move on as no one was accepting pets leaving his current landlord stuck not being able to sell his property and receiving no rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Or just don’t mention it. No landlord or agent is likely to accept a pet. There was a thread few weeks back about a tenant over holding because he couldn’t move on as no one was accepting pets leaving his current landlord stuck not being able to sell his property and receiving no rent.

Rural is easier for them accepting pets.... but for one small cat?

I agree, say nothing.

Often they have had a bad experience with a dog etc. and just overreact.

I wouldn't risk not disclosing a pet to the landlord.

A friend of mind didn't disclose to her landlord that her daughter had a pet cat, and indoor cat, and as soon as the landlord found out, she was given notice.

She tried to reason with the landlord but her non-disclosure totally ruined the good relationship they'd had up to that point. Landlord was furious. Turns out they were allergic to cats! (what are the odds?!?)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

I was in same situ as you the past 3 years and feel your pain. I had to look at apartments in Dublin which are new builds as they mostly accepts cats and dogs now. Only downside to this is my rent is far too expensive. It's ridiculous here that is you are allowed a small indoor cat, you have to pay about 2200 a month or more for a new apartment. I can't understand why landlords won't allow people to have a small pet. It's good for mental health and they rarely do any damage. Even offering them a 'pet deposit' most fo them say no. Dublin is such a backwater 'city'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

I love pets very much but I cannot blame any landlord not wanting them

forestgirl wrote: »
    I love pets very much but I cannot blame any landlord not wanting them

Why?

So only home owners (and let's face it that's a nightmare to achieve in Dublin) are allowed to have a pet?!

Lesalare wrote: »
    Why?

So only home owners (and let's face it that's a nightmare to achieve in Dublin) are allowed to have a pet?!

Only the person who owns the home can decide if they allow pets, one of the rights that come with investing hundreds of thousands in a property.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Only the person who owns the home can decide if they allow pets, one of the rights that come with investing hundreds of thousands in a property.

What damage does a quiet, mature cat which mainly sleeps all day, do to a property? She is indoors, doesn't claw the furniture, doesn't have fleas etc.

Same with a small dog (no-one should be keeping large dogs in apartments IMO).

What about people who live on their own. Don't have kids etc. or a partner? Think of all the small pets esp. over the past year which have offered their owners a huge amount of companionship during lockdown.

I've seen more mates houses which are in a state from having 3 kids under 6 than any rental property where an animal resides.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Not true. Management companies routinely ban pets, particularly in apartments.

• Advertisement

Caranica wrote: »
    Not true. Management companies routinely ban pets, particularly in apartments.

Very good point.

What damage does a quiet, mature cat which mainly sleeps all day, do to a property? She is indoors, doesn't claw the furniture, doesn't have fleas etc.

I suspect few applicants tell landlords their pets are going to wreck furniture.

I suspect few applicants tell landlords their pets are going to wreck furniture.

Hence why you pay an extra pet deposit or if you are a negligent tenant and allow your animals to destroy the furniture, you expect to have the damage amount deducted from your main deposit.

Hence why you pay an extra pet deposit or if you are a negligent tenant and allow your animals to destroy the furniture, you expect to have the damage amount deducted from your main deposit.

You would think.

I am a huge animal lover, I had my last cat for 18 years, and my dog just passed a couple of months ago, age 14.

But if I was a landlord I would not allow pets. Cats spray and like to scratch and claw - even my female neutered cat sprayed occasionally. Of course the renter will tell you their cat doesn't do these things, but its a risk the landlord is taking.

Dogs smell - it doesn't matter how much you love them, you can always tell a home that has a dog in it, as opposed to one that doesn't. Wet dog is the worst!

So I can understand a landlord refusing to allow pets.

I am a huge animal lover, I had my last cat for 18 years, and my dog just passed a couple of months ago, age 14.

But if I was a landlord I would not allow pets. Cats spray and like to scratch and claw - even my female neutered cat sprayed occasionally. Of course the renter will tell you their cat doesn't do these things, but its a risk the landlord is taking.

Dogs smell - it doesn't matter how much you love them, you can always tell a home that has a dog in it, as opposed to one that doesn't. Wet dog is the worst!

So I can understand a landlord refusing to allow pets.

I'm presuming you are a home owner.

I moved back from overseas after 15 years 3 years ago and am being forced to pay high rent in order to keep my cat which I brought back with me, as no one in Dublin other than new apartment blocks will allow pets. I'm unable to save for a mortgage due to said inflated rent - I do this so I don't have to put my cat down. I took her as a 6 weeks old kitten from an RSPCA shelter there 14 years ago. I'm not going to fly her across the globe only to kill her due to irrational, old-fashioned Irish landlord rules.

Why is it most people in NYC apartments are allowed pets? Or in London etc...?

If landlords of these numerous dumps you see hovering around the 1700 euro mark, with shi**ty 1980's stained furniture etc. were a little more accommodating, I'd be able to save for my own place where I can keep a dog or another cat without having to ask permission. I can understand if these rentals were stunning and newly furnished to a high spec, but the standard here is below any other city for the exorbitant monthly cost.

This is veering from OP's original question. OP your only option really is just to hope you can offer to pay a pet deposit and try and negotiate with a decent landlord who will pop up in time. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

I was in a similar situation, having a cat (elderly, female, very clean, and sleeps a lot). I was looking to rent, and found my cat was proving to be a major obstacle. Your best bet is to find a landlord/lady who likes cats, which I did eventually. Make sure to stress the fact that your cat is perfectly ok indoors. Ads that state" pets ok", should be viewed with caution, as it could mean that the landlord has a dog of his own, or a cat, which can cause problems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I was in a similar situation, having a cat (elderly, female, very clean, and sleeps a lot). I was looking to rent, and found my cat was proving to be a major obstacle. Your best bet is to find a landlord/lady who likes cats, which I did eventually. Make sure to stress the fact that your cat is perfectly ok indoors. Ads that state" pets ok", should be viewed with caution, as it could mean that the landlord has a dog of his own, or a cat, which can cause problems.

Thanks. Looking at a few places advertised through agencies. I'm guessing I stand no chance with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

I was in same situ as you the past 3 years and feel your pain. I had to look at apartments in Dublin which are new builds as they mostly accepts cats and dogs now. Only downside to this is my rent is far too expensive. It's ridiculous here that is you are allowed a small indoor cat, you have to pay about 2200 a month or more for a new apartment. I can't understand why landlords won't allow people to have a small pet. It's good for mental health and they rarely do any damage. Even offering them a 'pet deposit' most fo them say no. Dublin is such a backwater 'city'.

Given ireland doesn’t offer much protection for ll vs other countries. What incentive does a ll have to allow pets. If pets damage more than the pet deposit there is very little recourse for ll. noise complaints. Smells etc, general higher wear and tear all add up and when you have a second tenant without pets. It’s a no brainer.

Fol20 wrote: »
    Given ireland doesn’t offer much protection for ll vs other countries. What incentive does a ll have to allow pets. If pets damage more than the pet deposit there is very little recourse for ll. noise complaints. Smells etc, general higher wear and tear all add up and when you have a second tenant without pets. It’s a no brainer.

The Op is talking about a cat. Not a rhinoceros.

• Advertisement

I am now. I wasn't always.

You can rant how unfair it is all you like, but the bottom line is, it's the landlord's property, not yours, so they get to decide whether to allow pets, or not.

It's really that simple.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Given ireland doesn’t offer much protection for ll vs other countries.

Side note and can't help by say: You are taking the P*ss? Surely?

Landlords are ruling Dublin and destroying their tenants lives due to excess rents. (and also due to a no rent cap regulations from our gov - but hey - not hearing LL's complaining!)

Yeah, I feel really sorry for landlords here getting 2200+ per month for a 1 bed apartment. And their concern for a few scratches on their black 'Pleather' repulsive sofa from Harvey Norman circa 1997.

:confused:

I am now. I wasn't always.

You can rant how unfair it is all you like, but the bottom line is, it's the landlord's property, not yours, so they get to decide whether to allow pets, or not.

It's really that simple.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So you've been a home owner for 18 years?

Not exactly 'ranting' thanks. It's a subject I feel strongly about. And am aware as I was a landlord in Aus for 6 years.. I had zero issue with my tenants having a cat or small dog. I understand they are just the same as anyone else who would like a pet and are in situ to have to rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

Thanks. Looking at a few places advertised through agencies. I'm guessing I stand no chance with them?

I think a meeting/ chat with the landlord would be a better approach. If they like you, they may look more kindly on the pet. Agencies will probably give you the standard response, though I have no direct experience of them. I found the best approach was to build a rapport with the landlord, and mention the cat later in the process. timing is important here, not too early, not too late. :)

What about people who live on their own. Don't have kids etc. or a partner? Think of all the small pets esp. over the past year which have offered their owners a huge amount of companionship during lockdown.

I've seen more mates houses which are in a state from having 3 kids under 6 than any rental property where an animal resides.

The ll doesnt know the above and tenants cant be trusted as even the best behaved animals do some form of damage to any property, you are just oblivious to it as its your pet. I love dogs and have one myself and can see the general wear and tear my dog with scratches and dirt that normally wouldnt be there.

Being a ll isnt a social responsibility, its a business where you try and maximise profit and minimise risk. Pets are an extra form of risk. All i see with pets is the downside from a ll POV, please tell me once upside that is offered to the ll.

A deposit is a token gesture. damage can be several months worth of damage

I moved back from overseas after 15 years 3 years ago and am being forced to pay high rent in order to keep my cat which I brought back with me, as no one in Dublin other than new apartment blocks will allow pets. I'm unable to save for a mortgage due to said inflated rent - I do this so I don't have to put my cat down. I took her as a 6 weeks old kitten from an RSPCA shelter there 14 years ago. I'm not going to fly her across the globe only to kill her due to irrational, old-fashioned Irish landlord rules.

Why is it most people in NYC apartments are allowed pets? Or in London etc...?

If landlords of these numerous dumps you see hovering around the 1700 euro mark, with shi**ty 1980's stained furniture etc. were a little more accommodating, I'd be able to save for my own place where I can keep a dog or another cat without having to ask permission. I can understand if these rentals were stunning and newly furnished to a high spec, but the standard here is below any other city for the exorbitant monthly cost.

This is veering from OP's original question. OP your only option really is just to hope you can offer to pay a pet deposit and try and negotiate with a decent landlord who will pop up in time. Best of luck.

LL have far more protections in place in london and NYC if a tenant damages the property. I know for example in america, it can impact your credit rating and they can pursue you for damages. In ireland, most ll do not chase tenants for damages as tenants can claim they have very little money and could be paying back 50e for the next two decades and then after a few months stop paying.

Decent ll do not accept pets. Generally the only houses that accept pets are undesirable areas or properties that are not in good condition as a result of neglect from the ll.

Why do ll need to be more accommodating. Its all based on supply and demand, and ll will always pick the top of the crop that is offered to them. Animals are a big red flag so why should they choose you?

So you've been a home owner for 18 years?

Not exactly 'ranting' thanks. It's a subject I feel strongly about. And am aware as I was a landlord in Aus for 6 years.. I had zero issue with my tenants having a cat or small dog. I understand they are just the same as anyone else who would like a pet and are in situ to have to rent.

Yes, but thats not the point of the thread. For the record, I have no pets now and I'm still a homeowner.

You were entitled to allow pets in your rented properties in Aus, if that was your choice, just as the landlords here have the right to decide whether to allow to pets in theirs, or not.

I honestly dont know what you're complaining about either, seeing as you are in rented accommodation that allows pets, so it obviously does exist.

But carry on.

please tell me once upside that is offered to the ll.

In my situation I pay my LL 2.5K per month almost for a 1 bed apt.
    I initially had 2 cats but had to put one down last year.
    He was old and unwell and started getting sick a lot on the bedroom carpet.
    I cleaned it up, and notified my LL that I would fully replace the carpet on my leaving the apartment. Other than that my remaining cat has not caused one single issue in the place.

No scratching furniture. No smells (I've asked pet-less mates and they say 'No nothing") I clean the litter tray daily. She sleeps on the bed probably half the day and other than that lies on the balcony.

She's an indoor cat. No fleas and causes zero damage to this or my last house rental.

Some people just judge all pet owners as having smelly animals and allow them to run wild etc.

On a daily basis here I see about 50% of the apartment owners walking their small dogs. It's nice to see that they can.

• Advertisement

Side note and can't help by say: You are taking the P*ss? Surely?

Landlords are ruling Dublin and destroying their tenants lives due to excess rents. (and also due to a no rent cap regulations from our gov - but hey - not hearing LL's complaining!)

Yeah, I feel really sorry for landlords here getting 2200+ per month for a 1 bed apartment. And their concern for a few scratches on their black 'Pleather' repulsive sofa from Harvey Norman circa 1997.

:confused:

You are strictly looking at it from a tenant POV, LL are complaining as taxes,legislation, new costs, limits on profit, very anti ll legislation from government and populism all lead to investment decisions where if it was all rosy for LL, they wouldnt be leaving the sector which they have been doing for the past decade. Stats back this up.

You just see the high level rental price of 2.2k. You need to ask yourself if you were an investor, how much of my capital is tied up to get that 2.2k. Could i get more than 2.2k if i invest it elsewhere? If so why stay in the rental sector with all the hassle that tenants can cause.

Advertisement