Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is FF gone as a party?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

People get their chance to vote in democratic elections for the candidates they want to vote for. Some of these people are relations of former or retiring TDs. Big deal. That’s democracy.

The very opposite of a proper democracy. Enda Kenny campaigned himself on her behalf in order to get her elected. Don't be so naive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Nothing against McEntee I just don't know why she seems to be rated....

She, like the majority of them have no achievements.

All run by the Civil Service anyways

The very opposite of a proper democracy. Enda Kenny campaigned himself on her behalf in order to get her elected. Don't be so naive.

As he is entitled to do so. She’s also entitled to run. The people of Meath voted for her and she was elected by the electorate. Sounds like democracy to me. What’s your alternative, Jim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Nothing against McEntee I just don't know why she seems to be rated....

She, like the majority of them have no achievements.

All run by the Civil Service anyways

This - merely "front of house", I mean does anyone truly believe she pulled the Woulfe stunt completely off her own bat, or was she simply doing someone else's bid.

McMurphy wrote: »
    This - merely "front of house", I mean does anyone truly believe she pulled the Woulfe stunt completely off her own bat, or was she simply doing someone else's bid.

Why is she in italics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

He's not alone thinking that...... FG ministers son seemed to think it too.

Oireachtas 'more hereditary' than Lords

So digging up something someone said a decade ago suddenly makes it a correct statement then is it?

Nobody inherits a Dail seat, a factual statement that cannot be disputed in any way. They have to run and get enough votes from their constituents just like everyone else.

There is hereditary seats in Lords of course, perhaps the poster was confusing the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

FG have lost a lot of rural Conservative votes, Varadkar is not their sort of leader, chasing the Woke who don't vote will cost them dearly,
    Feisar wrote: »
    Yes, it's all well and good chasing the woke crowd as you say but ultimately pointless if they don't vote.

What exactly is the "woke" crowd? And who says they don't vote? Do you mean the people who came out to vote for equality on marital rights? They came out to vote then didn't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Why is she in italics?

'She' is actually a bloke in drag. That whole pregnancy story is part of her cover...

She was doing it no doubt as a return favour to Varadkar who she is indebted to for promoting her to minister of state for European Affairs (carrying coveneys bags around europe) and then minister of justice. Positions far above her ability.

Always great to have a lapdog in a position like that I suppose though for the next Taoiseach (Varadkar) so im sure he can look to worm his way out of the next corrupt controversy he is embroiled in.

Why is she in italics?

To put the emphasis on her specifically. That really needed clarifying? Cmon.

• Advertisement

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    So digging up something someone said a decade ago suddenly makes it a correct statement then is it?

Nobody inherits a Dail seat, a factual statement that cannot be disputed in any way. They have to run and get enough votes from their constituents just like everyone else.

There is hereditary seats in Lords of course, perhaps the poster was confusing the two.

There’s a huge amount of ignorance of how our parliamentary system works here. The same sorts who were on Twitter somehow suggesting LV had a lesser mandate as he wasn’t elected until the 5th count in a PR-STV system. It’s the same with this idea that there’s hereditary seats.

She was doing it no doubt as a return favour to Varadkar who she is indebted to for promoting her to minister of state for European Affairs (carrying coveneys bags around europe) and then minister of justice. Positions far above her ability.

Always great to have a lapdog in a position like that I suppose though for the next Taoiseach (Varadkar) so im sure he can look to worm his way out of the next corrupt controversy he is embroiled in.

The state of this post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

He's not alone thinking that...... FG ministers son seemed to think it too.

Oireachtas 'more hereditary' than Lords

8 years and two Dails ago. Fresh content.
    June 09 2013 04:05 AM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

A party leader campaigned on behalf of one of his partys own candidates? This is truly groundbreaking news.

A decade ago was 2013? Can I have a shot in your time machine? Besides - weren't FG in power when the article was printed?

Obviously not officially, but it shows it's not a thought restricted to random anonymous posters on an internet forum.

The son of a FG Minister turned down a chance to inherit stand for his dead father's vacant seat and stated his reasons why, namely he felt it was hereditary as the HOL.

A decade ago was 2013? Can I have a shot in your time machine? Besides - weren't FG in power when the article was printed?

Obviously not officially, but it shows it's not a thought restricted to random anonymous posters on an internet forum.

The son of a FG Minister turned down a chance to inherit stand for his dead father's vacant seat and stated his reasons why, namely he felt it was hereditary as the HOL.

I'm actually confused as to what you are trying to argue here? Nobody inherits a Dail seat. That is a factual statement and cannot be debated. Digging up something someone said a decade ago doesn't impact that factual point in any way. Sorry about that.

Lots of people have ran for seats previously held by a family member and haven’t been elected. Ergo it’s not hereditary 1) they had to run for the seat instead of inheriting it, 2). See point 1. This isn’t exactly metaphysics. It’s a statement of fact. We don’t have hereditary seats in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

You have a case that the Irish electorate might like the children of successful politicians. But they have earned their seat just as mush as anyone else.

Lots of people have ran for seats previously held by a family member and haven’t been elected. Ergo it’s not hereditary 1) they had to run for the seat instead of inheriting it, 2). See point 1. This isn’t exactly metaphysics. It’s a statement of fact. We don’t have hereditary seats in Ireland.

Some people just love to argue for the sake of it I find, even when they are visibly lacking a support basis for their position.

GarIT wrote: »
    You have a case that the Irish electorate might like the children of successful politicians. But they have earned their seat just as mush as anyone else.

Which is democracy in action. They run against other candidates and get elected. That could be familiarity, thinking their relative did a good job, or a myriad of other things.

Again, is anyone suggesting an alternative here, or is it just Twitter grade moaning for the sake of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

As he is entitled to do so. She’s also entitled to run. The people of Meath voted for her and she was elected by the electorate. Sounds like democracy to me. What’s your alternative, Jim?
    Which is democracy in action. They run against other candidates and get elected. That could be familiarity, thinking their relative did a good job, or a myriad of other things.

Again, is anyone suggesting an alternative here, or is it just Twitter grade moaning for the sake of it?

Since your probably a FG voter (sorry if wrong) how do you square this belief with the 2012 election act that introduced funding sanctions if the gender quota is not met, surely that is interfering with democracy

Since your probably a FG voter (sorry if wrong) how do you square this belief with the 2012 election act that introduced funding sanctions if the gender quota is not met, surely that is interfering with democracy

I agree with them but I'm strongly opposed to that. See me mentioning it six to seven pages back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

TheCitizen wrote: »
    What exactly is the "woke" crowd? And who says they don't vote? Do you mean the people who came out to vote for equality on marital rights? They came out to vote then didn't they?

But they don't vote in elections, nobody was flying home to vote the last general election or the previous council/EU election,

TheCitizen wrote: »

The people who will put not hurting anyone and blaming others (particularly white men) above the realities of the world we live in and personal responsibility.

Statistics show younger people are voting less. And they usually vote in referendums but not as much in general elections.

I'm actually confused as to what you are trying to argue here? Nobody inherits a Dail seat. That is a factual statement and cannot be debated. Digging up something someone said a decade ago doesn't impact that factual point in any way. Sorry about that.

I'm not trying to "argue" anything, it's quite simple, a poster posted his opinion about some Irish politicians inheriting their seats from their parent.

You posted your opinion that it was news to you, and I posted a link to an article that thoughts such as those are hardly unique to random anonymous posters using pseudonyms on the internet, and linked to your man Sweetman, son of a one time prominent FG minister who also thought there was a bang of hereditary going on.

It's what happens on this forum, someone posts about something, someone follows on, and so on and so forth - doing so doesn't = an argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I'm not trying to "argue" anything, it's quite simple, a poster posted his opinion about some Irish politicians inheriting their seats from their parent.

You posted your opinion that it was news to you, and I posted a link to an article that thoughts such as those are hardly unique to random anonymous posters using pseudonyms on the internet, and linked to your man Sweetman, son of a one time prominent FG minister who also thought there was a bang of hereditary going on.

It's what happens on this forum, someone posts about something, someone follows on, and so on and so forth - doing so doesn't = an argument.

The fact that Sean Haughey is still elected every time shows that. I don't think he has ever done anything other than having the Haughey name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Irish_general_election

Some serious swings in the last 20 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's all in the name. Change your surname to Healy-Rae and run in Kerry. It's a no-brainer.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Irish people are suckers for political dynasties.

• Advertisement

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Irish people are suckers for political dynasties.

True and people wonder why things never change in this country. As long as the likes of the Haely Raes/Mcentees and Lowry himself consistently gets back into power, realistically there wont be any change.

Sad but true because this is a great country in many other ways.

Advertisement