Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is FF gone as a party?

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

True and people wonder why things never change in this country. As long as the likes of the Haely Raes/Mcentees and Lowry himself consistently gets back into power, realistically there wont be any change.

Sad but true because this is a great country in many other ways.

Its amazing that the country that has progressed fastest in the world over the last 30 years never changes.

We went from uneducated, conservative, poor, religious to the opposite of each of those.

GarIT wrote: »
    Its amazing that the country that has progressed fastest in the world over the last 30 years never changes.

We went from uneducated, conservative, poor, religious to the opposite of each of those.

Have rural areas really shifted away from this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Racism and homophobic attacks would be an urban thing, Rural dwellers would be much more likely to have a higher education,

They voted in divorce, same sex marriage, abortion and removed blasphemy. You could argue on the conservative point but in the perspective of what was conservative in the 90s compared to now definitely moved a lot on that one.

Education is up hugely.

Income is up hugely, as is net worth.

76% religious on average down 20%, the country is probably more religious but the real change is in 2.7% regular mass attendance down from over 50%.

There is some brain drain in the country, the educated liberals move to cities but there is still huge change in that time period for the people living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

You really are delusional arent you? I suppose the fact that there is nearly 40 millions Irish Americans currently residing in the states, we are part of the eu, we are beside the uk and sandwiched beside two of the most developed nations (usa & uk) in the world whom we have strong ties to has nothing to do with it. On top of this, we speak the language of business in the world, English.

We are far below where we should be, and the main reason why, is that we still put up with this parochial form of politics where the gob****e who fills the pot holes down the road gets elected & the clueless young one looking to get his/her parents seat is given the benefit of the doubt & elected again and again.

We are much better than this

• Advertisement

You really are delusional arent you? I suppose the fact that there is nearly 40 millions Irish Americans currently residing in the states, we are part of the eu, we are beside the uk and sandwiched beside two of the most developed nations (usa & uk) in the world whom we have strong ties to has nothing to do with it. On top of this, we speak the language of business in the world, English.

We are far below where we should be, and the main reason why, is that we still put up with this parochial form of politics where the gob****e who fills the pot holes down the road gets elected & the clueless young one looking to get his/her parents seat is given the benefit of the doubt & elected again and again.

I don't see how anything you have said is even related to anything I said. What am I delusional about? Ireland hasn't changed in 30 years? We are still a developing nation?

We are lightyears ahead of the US in terms of rights and equality.

Yes outside influences have helped us to progress, that doesn't mean we haven't progressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Ireland, a country with no significant natural resources, is one of the wealthiest in the world.

We've gone from like the 50-30th best place in the world to live to the 3rd. How special do you think you/we are that it's terrible we aren't first out of like 200 other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

As a nation, we're not.

Organisation exposed as a criminal mafia protecting child rapists.

What do the great Irish people do?

Yep, still fund them, get married in their buildings and put their kids into same organisation.

Same people will tell you how modern and outward looking they are. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

We are still very conservative and as for educated , instead of everyone going for a degree , I suggest we try and encourage far more to get a trade. The shortage if tradesmen is astonishing. It's not seen as the sexy thing to do, but the money is a hell of a lot better than most college degrees will get you. I know plasterer,s,plumbers on e500 a day !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,072 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ireland, a country with no significant natural resources, is one of the wealthiest in the world.

To add to this. Check any of the various rankings of countries in the world. We usually feature really highly on them. We're 4th by gdp per capita. We're 4th by hdi. We're in the top 20 for happiness and lack of corruption. We're 13th for press freedom.

I think people in Ireland like to think we're a bad country, but objectively we're not. We're quite good actually.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    We are still very conservative and as for educated , instead of everyone going for a degree , I suggest we try and encourage far more to get a trade. The shortage if tradesmen is astonishing. It's not seen as the sexy thing to do, but the money is a hell of a lot better than most college degrees will get you. I know plasterer,s,plumbers on e500 a day !

I agree with trades being a good idea, I've considered going from Computer Science to an electrician. Seems like a lot less stress for better money. Going back and doing an apprenticeship puts me off though, there were none when I was in college due to the recession.

As a country with no real conservative party are we that conservative? The only parties that could be argued to be conservative implemented very progressive policies and at most could be described as right of centre.

And people like to say we are conservative but don't seem to have any perspective, what countries are less conservative than Ireland, at most, there are 10. Sweeden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Holand, Germany, New Zealand, Canada am I leaving anyone out? And on perspective too, people clearly aren't remembering Ireland 30 years ago. Trump's US was a liberal paradise compared to Ireland 30 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Racism and homophobic attacks would be an urban thing, Rural dwellers would be much more likely to have a higher education,

Even at that they're barely a thing. I think most people would struggle to find 5 countries less racist and homophobic than Ireland, we're not perfect but we're a very tolerant people compared to most.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Regarding hereditary politics. We are a small country and unfortunately that means we tend towards who we know.
    We also have people who generally support x party no matter who they run. It's the same in a lot of democracies.
    It's sad that our main parties run family members. The only way round that is to run yourself or actually talk to the politician and make up your own mind.
    A lot of FG/FF members put up with this ****.
    At least SF are not as prone to it as its only the last t15 years they had any real election success.

There’s a huge amount of ignorance of how our parliamentary system works here. The same sorts who were on Twitter somehow suggesting LV had a lesser mandate as he wasn’t elected until the 5th count in a PR-STV system. It’s the same with this idea that there’s hereditary seats.

I agree with you . PR and multi seat constituencies are to blame in my view.. The Germans banned independents to avoid local bull****

I'm a wee bit tired of anybody who is gay or from another county moaning about homophobia or racism.
    It should not happen but you'd think that heterosexual whites had no problems.
    Too much victim culture out there.
    The biggest enemy we have is a badly regulated working environment and it only serves the property classes to have victim politics taking the lead.
    Thus zero contract hours contracts still prevail

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Lots of people have ran for seats previously held by a family member and haven’t been elected. Ergo it’s not hereditary 1) they had to run for the seat instead of inheriting it, 2). See point 1. This isn’t exactly metaphysics. It’s a statement of fact. We don’t have hereditary seats in Ireland.

Your point is sound if they start out in a general election but in a by-election scenario, the offspring of a recently deceased TD has a distinct advantage with no incumbents competing for votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,598 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If you look at the results of the 1995 Divorce referendum. You can see a fair difference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifteenth_Amendment_of_the_Constitution_of_Ireland#Result

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

If you look at the results of the 1995 Divorce referendum. You can see a fair difference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifteenth_Amendment_of_the_Constitution_of_Ireland#Result

Wow so basically it was Dublin, Dublin commuter counties and cork south carried it.

On one hand its kind of bad that basically Dublin can sway an entire referendum, but on the other hand I'm glad it got through.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Wow so basically it was Dublin, Dublin commuter counties and cork south carried it.

On one hand its kind of bad that basically Dublin can sway an entire referendum, but on the other hand I'm glad it got through.

You gettin sick of her Eric? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement