Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Electric Shower?

• 05-04-2021 5:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

We're getting our en-suite refurbished and part of that is to replace the shower unit.
    The head will be one of the large rain type units, if that's the correct name???
    As we currently have a tank fed Triton T90sr (aporox 6-7 yrs old), are we restricted to an equivalent and if so, what's the best on the market?
    Are Triton the best?
    Top requirement is high flow and quieter would be nice but not at the expense of power.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

JMR wrote:
    We're getting our en-suite refurbished and part of that is to replace the shower unit. The head will be one of the large rain type units, if that's the correct name??? As we currently have a tank fed Triton T90sr (aporox 6-7 yrs old), are we restricted to an equivalent and if so, what's the best on the market? Are Triton the best? Top requirement is high flow and quieter would be nice but not at the expense of power.

The Triton T90sr silent shower is hands down the best quality & is the quietest.

Mira Elite SE is cheaply made. Cheap plastic that cracks & breaks like no other shower. This is the only Pumped electric shower with a rain head. Being an electric shower the rain head isn't very powerful but it has a rain head.

Both showers are 9.8kw @240v and 9kw here in in Ireland @230V. If you want good pressure then it's a power shower you need. Problem with a power shower is that you have to heat up your water before showering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭JMR

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The Triton T90sr silent shower is hands down the best quality & is the quietest.

Mira Elite SE is cheaply made. Cheap plastic that cracks & breaks like no other shower. This is the only Pumped electric shower with a rain head. Being an electric shower the rain head isn't very powerful but it has a rain head.

Both showers are 9.8kw @240v and 9kw here in in Ireland @230V. If you want good pressure then it's a power shower you need. Problem with a power shower is that you have to heat up your water before showering

Thanks for that.
    I was mistaken in my original post, its a T90xr we currently have. Is the T90sr silent a step up from this, would flowrate be better?

JMR wrote:
    Thanks for that. I was mistaken in my original post, its a T90xr we currently have. Is the T90sr silent a step up from this, would flowrate be better?

Flow rate will be almost identical. The problem with electric showers is that they can only heat up a small amount of water because its instant. If you turn the dial all the way to cold you'd get close to 10 litres of water per minute. If you want warm water then you have to reduce this to 3 to 5 litres of water per minute depending on the time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

I have mira electric se dual shower with the rain head as well as the regular shower head,we have it almost at the ceiling so it's very nice and relaxing, it is very silent for an electric shower the power is stronger the cooler you have it but that's great for the summer months, it's nice you can use the regular head at the same time as the rain head to, We have another mira shower that runs off the mains and the water comes out so fast you could drown and we have no pump attached so the pressure is amazing

Can I combine the Triton T90sr with a rain type shower head?
    The water is gravity fed from the cold water tank in the attic.

Are these rain type heads only suitable with a pre-heated pumped system due to the higher pressure requirements?

• Advertisement

Triton don't do a rain head for the Triton T90SR. For a rain head you'll have to take a drop in the quality, compared to the T90sr, & go for a Mira Elite SE Dual. You'll pay an extra 120 euro or so for the rain head

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

forestgirl wrote: »
    I have mira electric se dual shower with the rain head as well as the regular shower head

I'd second this one

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Triton don't do a rain head for the Triton T90SR. For a rain head you'll have to take a drop in the quality, compared to the T90sr, & go for a Mira Elite SE Dual. You'll pay an extra 120 euro or so for the rain head

Drop in quality in terms of flowrate (pressure) or something else?

It is feasible though, to have a rain head operating off an electric shower, yes?

I'd second this one

You're happy with the performance? Good pressure etc?
    Can I assume water is fed from attic tank to the shower in an upstairs bathroom?

Thanks

JMR wrote:
    Drop in quality in terms of flowrate (pressure) or something else?

The Triton & mira have the exact same flow rate. Both very quiet but Triton slightly more quiet. A lot, but not all, of the Miras wine when the flow dial is in the particular position. The reduction in the quality is the build of the shower. Miras are cheaply made. The shower hose even isn't a chrome hose. It's a cheap plastic one. Plenty of clients ask us to replace the plastic hose with a Triton chrome hose. The plastic on the shower casing is cheap and becomes brittle. There are 7 or 8 triton showers in Ireland and the UK for every one Mira. Running a shower repair company we get far more complaints about Miras compared to tritons. Mira Elite SE showers have a higher failure rate compared to the triton t90sr. Having said all that you can get lucky and get a mira that isn't troublesome

JMR wrote:
    It is feasible though, to have a rain head operating off an electric shower, yes?

Yes & no. Rain heads traditionally would have flow rates of 15 to over 20 liters per minute. An electric shower can only put out 3 to 5 /5.5 litres of warm water per minute. The showering experience from a rain head on an electric shower isn't anywhere near the experience you will get from a power shower. If you have an electric shower then you know what pressure / flow rate to expect. Not bad in the summer & not great on a frosty morning. The rain head will produce the exact same flow rate and slighy less pressure (due to the larger rain head). We have installed plenty of mira elite se dual showers. Anyone that already had an electric shower was happy enough with the pressure from the rain head. Anyone who was used to a power shower was very disappointed. We have removed a few that we installed only a few days earlier and the client went for a power shower instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

JMR wrote: »
    You're happy with the performance? Good pressure etc?
    Can I assume water is fed from attic tank to the shower in an upstairs bathroom?

Thanks

Yep, just got it installed over summer. It won't take the skin off you but you won't be left wanting more pressure I felt. Very quiet, last one used to wake the baby, you wouldn't even know someone is in shower upstairs when it's on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭Some_randomer

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Mira Sport Max Airboost electric shower?

Also I'm looking at a pumped electric shower that needs a negative head pump. These things are pretty expensive.. any specific brand that'd be recommended for an apartment? Does anyone know how much noise a typical one makes, e.g. a Monsoon Universal 2.0 Bar Twin? Are the more expensive ones less noisy?

Post edited by Some_randomer on

A pumped electric shower should never be connected to any pump, negative or positive head. You can use a mains fed shower when using a pump.

A maintenance guy in a factory asked me to install three air boost sports a few years ago. He provided the showers and I installed them. He was horrified with the performance. I replaced three perfectly working mains fed showers with expensive boost showers and no one really noticed the difference. That's the only experience I have with them

Ok thanks, I'm probably using the wrong terminology. I have a Mira Vigour Thermostatic shower that's fed from my hot water tank, and it's being replaced with a T-bar type shower. My builder came back with a list of materials that includes an "Ideal Standard Ecotherm Thermostatic Bar Mixer Shower", and a "Showermate 2.0 Bar Pump". So I was wondering if these pumps are noisy when used in an apartment.

I'm also putting in a new ensuite that'll be mains fed and will need an electric shower, so I was wondering if the Mira Sport Airboost was a good option. I've used a few Tritons in the past and in my experience they aren't that strong in terms of flow and pressure, so I'm curious to know if there's another make or model that'd have better pressure?

There isn't any difference in flow on any electric shower. A 9kw shower is a 9kw shower. Doesn't matter who makes it. They will all have the exact flow rate.

If you have 10mm cable then you can go up to 10kw. This will give you about 10% more flow.

Just so you know, the only thing in the house that should be connected to the mains water supply is the cold kitchen tap and the cold to fill the attic tank. If you have amazing pressure then you might get away with it but in Dublin there are very few mains fed showers able to function correctly unless on the ground floor. The correct way (& the only way to meet building regulations) is to install a negative head pump to feed the attic bathroom and mains fed shower. You wouldn't need to buy the shower mate pump because the negative head pump can feed the T bar mixer. It won't add very much cost to the overall project

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

we’ve a Triton T90sr, triton also sell a T90sr DuElec shower kit which is basically a duel Rainfall / regular fitting, works fine for us, if you google it, they are about €160 /170

Ok not sure I understand. This is for an apartment that has a hot water tank that's heated overnight, and a cold water tank above it. The existing Mira Vigour shower is being replaced with an exposed T-bar type shower. The shower head will be above the hot water tank. The plumber looked at the tank and shower and said he would use a Showermate 2.0 bar pump (which I think is a positive head shower?).

So is the plumber wrong? Is the Showermate a positive head pump, and if so do I need a negative head pump instead?

Thanks in advance 👍️

Sorry. It's the an suite I was thinking about. It should have a pump rather than mains fed

Advertisement