Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Trek: Discovery - Season 4 - (*** Spoilers***)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Clearly the Aer Lingus marketing team don't know about DIS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have never heard of "Pluto TV". I'm going to presume it wasn't started by an entrepreneurial cartoon dog. Or former 9th planet with time on its hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

Apparently ViacomCBS own it so they'll have two streaming services in the UK, and presumably Ireland, next year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm reading Pluto is a free streaming service? If true, it doesn't say much about CBS' belief in the value of Discovery, internationally. Maybe they saw something in the stats from Netflix (assuming they're allowed see 'em)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Not available in Ireland though as far as I can see .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Or the ads it will bombard you with are worth as much as subscriptions. One thing I really love about paying for streaming is the never having to think about tracker mortgages.

Neither is BBC iplayer, but my Norton 360 gives me VPN so I get to watch F1 with BBC commentary instead of Sky.

This could actually hurt Paramount+ in the US if it becomes widespread news that the show is free in the UK.

Having to use a VPN to watch a region locked 'free' show is pretty much piracy with extra steps though, so I dont know if it will make that much difference .

But yeah they really really messed up with this whole situation.

• Advertisement

Europe has always had way more free TV than the US. Free to air over there is pretty much Sesame St. + nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I am way behind in all shows but this time I was ready to watch Discovery episodes as they became available.

I should have known something would happen :p

I don't even like it but it sucks when you are invested in a number of Trek forums and don't have a clue what people are talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Are you saying that you don’t like Discovery but watch just to be involved in the threads?

I was probably being a bit over the top. I like some parts of the show but every time I say I am done with it I end up reading loads about it on forums and end up watching again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Huh? I use the acronym STD all the time and I definitely don't consider myself to be "anti-woke". (I get exhausted when the discussion turns to straight white male quotas). Just seems like the most natural abbreviation. I suppose I could use DIS but never really thought of it.

• Advertisement

The reason it's used by haters is because its an acronym of Sexual Transmitted Disease. It's used by the poster to indicate their feelings that the existence of the Discovery TV show is a disease on the Star Trek franchise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Rawr

STD anonym kind of developed out of habit myself, but if we follow the "naming convention" we've have since Voyager (VOY), then DIS does seem to be the correct short form. Although I tend to find myself usually writing "Discovery" when discussing the show.

I will draw a personal line at calling the show "Disco". That felt like a term of endearment that the show gave to itself but never actually earned.

Weird segue; the first time I saw the acronym, yeah, the 12-year-old in me chuckled 'cos STD. Snort. But never really thought people were weaponising it either; seems like there's more egregious bullshít from the Permanently Outraged than their puerile sense of humour.

It doesn't happen here but on dedicated Trek forums the "STD" people are usually the ones also screaming about "Mary Sue"or "woke agenda" or some other such bollx about black women or gay people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I doubt there are too many "permanently outraged" left, any hard core trekkie will have gone through the 5 stages of grief by now 😁

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

The thing is if you stop using a funny term like STD because those nasty people you don't like use it it gives them the ability to just take ant term away from you.

Well there are 2 factors to it. 1 is thatas mentioned above it's not STV or STP it's VOY and PIC so DIS is correct for Trek. The other is I really dislike Discovery but trying to argue valid artistic reasons why it's crap using STD means everyone you are arguing with instantly misinterprets what you are trying to say.

Also after the first time you see it it's not really that funny anymore

Doesn't that kind of reinforce my point? The, admittedly childish, fun poking at the lack of foresight around the name has been ceded to the "bad people" so anyone who uses it gets lumped in with them. If the "bad people" switched to DIS tomorrow and used it in the sense of to insult someone, like "this show is a real DIS on the franchise," what would everyone call it then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

you make it sound like trek fans are very fragile and one has to walk around on eggshells lest one gets to categorise one as a "bad person" hehe!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Can it be said to be a lack of foresight? I don't seriously believe any writing team should be fretting over a title, lest its acronym spells out something salacious.

You'd think it would be a consideration at least. With their naming convention they had four other options Columbia, Challenger, Atlantis, and Endeavour although Atalntis might have been off the table because of Stargate

Ack, I can't see how it would ever be a reasonable consideration. There's a point with anything where you can't divine how your product or creation is going to be parsed in public. As I said before there are more than enough rods to beat the backs of Discovery's creators without tutting over their poor Acronym-Fu in this instance 😁

I sometimes wonder if the whole "Disco" thing came about on the back of them suddenly realising that the initials of their show spelled out a naughty medical malady. Remember, these Secret Hideout folk do not appear to be Trek fans and were likely unaware of our trekkie tendancy to write TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY etc...and that the whole "ST" bit is a given.

Kind of also shines a light on how the Lower Decks people are very likely fans since they spent a chunk of time referencing "Those Old Scientists" (TOS), and actually had Boilmer say "VOY" when referring to Voyager :P

I'm so used to saying TOS that I didn't even realize something weird had happened when Ransom said it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

When it was airing I always referred to TNG as Next Gen. DS9 was DS9 and that worked so well that is even how they referred to the station on the show. Voyager was just Voyager, I agree with Mariner VOY doesn't save time!

When did the acronym thing start?

• Advertisement

Oh Lower Decks' writing team are definitely nerds: but thankfully, nerds who can still write interesting stories without letting the Fan Service get completely obnoxious; Discovery has instead come across like Wiki surfers, or those with a surface level knowledge of Star Trek. Either way, the acronym thing feels especially minute that mistakes are forgiveable.

American TV is weird like that. If you end up getting an animated series greenlit by Nickelodeon (I think, it could be somewhere else) they will allegedly ask you if you're comfortable with vast amounts of smut being drawn of your creations and show examples from other series.

It's internet shorthand so probably started to be used wide spread around the time forums became a thing.

I then got reinforced with sites like Memory Alpha, where the shorthand names are in all the references.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Looking back at this forum 19 years ago, it seems we referred to TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise.

I have vague memories of using Star Trek Usenets when DS9 and Voyager were airing. Not too much as they had posts from Americans who were months ahead of us, even back in the 90s I didn't want spoilers.

I'll stick to calling Discovery, Discovery for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

IMO the Discovery writing team has a surface level knowledge about everything not just trek. I've pointed out the good and the bad with this show before. I'm struggling to stay with it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Ep 1 live on Pluto SciFi channel 52 right now if you happen to "find yourself suddenly in the UK" 😊

Ep 2 on at 10pm

Over here in Scandinavia I have noticed the Paramount+ online advertising is now featuring Discovery front and center. They're trying to tempt people over with a slashed introduction price of about €4-5 a month for the first couple of months.

I'm still not tempted to to part with cash for the sake of this show, but I guess they were realising that waiting until next year to put Discovery on their International service was a recipe for trouble.

Post edited by Rawr on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Probably realised that the show would be pirated by the who wanted to watch it. No need to sign up to Paramount + then.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

For me to take this service on it would take:

• a permanently lowered monthly cost (That "offer" price would be a good start...keep it there)
    • access to all the Trek movies (apparently this is happening/happened)
    • & a reliable slate of good new Trek shows (Lower Decks quality or better)

I couldn't give a flying fig that they've got a new season of Dexter on there, or a new season of Frasier (Jesus), I'd only want the app for Trek, and I feel the price should reflect that demand. They ain't exactly Netflix / Disney+ at the moment. Also, featuring Discovery as the primary carrot for new subscribers does not fill me with any confidence for the service. I have no real desire to pay cash to be frustrated / disappointed yet again by that show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Wait...... There's a new Frasier?

Such a great show. Something to look forward to...... Unless they Picard it.

Animaniacs reboot is good.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Seems like such an absolutely unnecessary revisit. But maybe one of the very few excellent spinoff shows can also be one of the very few excellent revisit series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Pluto TV over here is great, hadn't heard of it before until an ad on a bus stop two weeks ago. Shows two episodes back to back on Fri, Sat and Sun at 9pm. Reminds me of the old days knowing something would be on at certain times and having to plan around that, instead of the modern freedom of streaming.

It also has a channel which is just Andromeda, all the time, for some reason.

I see it discussed above, but I would certainly pay for a streaming service which was JUST Trek, all shows, all episodes, all the time. Which is pretty much all I watch on Netflix anyway. Ru Paul's Drag Race has done a similar thing with the WOW+ app, with the exception of one franchise which is BBC Three/iPlayer exclusive. (Obviously not quite the same size as Trek!)

• Advertisement

Andromeda all day every day sounds like the kind of thing they used in Abu Ghraib or Guantanamo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Might make a few threats against the president of the US, see if they'll let me catch up on my ropey early 2000s sci-fi.

There's still no way to legally watch it here , right ?. ( VPNs dont count)

I'll take that as a no then ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement