Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neura geothermal heat pump group

• 06-04-2021 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

If anyone is interested in joining a group to discuss anything with their neura geothermal heating system perhaps they might add some info here and see if anyone else can help out.

I have inherited a system with a 16kw compressor that seems to be working but I would not describe it as efficient. The collector pipes run horizontal in the back garden. Maybe our place is not adequately insulated. It is a 200 sq metre bungalow so maybe it's under pressure!

It seems Pico energy in Austria took over some of the business/staff of neura when the went bust in about 2015 I think? None of their system seem to be in production anymore but it seems Pico have some information/spares/knowledge.
    I emailed them looking for general information and was directed to their rep in Ireland (whatever that is?) It's glenergy. Haven't got round to contacting them.
    Anyway if anyone has any questions happy to hear and if at all possible help. If they have some hints or tips all the better.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cyloncity

Seems to be very few neura customers out there!

I'm very tempted to take the hit and remove our geothermal heat pump. It doesn't seem fit for purpose here and is very expensive to run. Using approx 10k units last year without actually being warm in winter!

If any one has any recommendations or experience of someone who might decommission it and possibly install a grant vortex oil boiler please let me know.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 buttercup2017

Hi there, I used to have one of these systems. Unfortunately for me, it was very poorly installed by a Carlow company which has since gone bust. I removed the system in 2014 and installed an air to water heat pump which is working fine. I believe there is a company in Mayo which may be able to assist you. The owner is very knowledgeable about the Neura system

Thanks. I inherited the system when we moved in and it too was installed by a defunct Carlow company. Not sure they can be named but most likely the same crew. It is working but like I said not sufficiently or efficiently enough to keep it.

I'm not sure the mayo company still exists either unfortunately as I tried contacting them via their website but got no response.

Did you dig up and remove your collector pipes or just remove the pump and control system? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Northern lassie

I can't advise you what to do but just wanted to let you know our usage.

Our house is about 300 sq m and have geothermal installed since it was built in 2007. It was installed by the Carlow company too. It's working well but have had 2 big repair jobs done - both costing about €2000. One was the water tank needed to be replaced so that's probably not connected to the heating system as it would have to have been done anyway. Both done by the guy in Mayo. He knows his stuff but is hard to contact as he is very busy. Try Whatsapp maybe?

Anyway, we use about 8,000 day units and about 7500 night units. Comes in at about €2100 per year which I think is okay as we don't have any other heating bills and the house is always nice and warm. We would buy about 3 bags of coal per year to light a fire during very cold months but could live without it ... only really light it for coziness.

Hope this help someone.

Thanks for your info. Our house is an older extended bungalow which is about 200sq metres. a little more maybe. Being all one level it's a big enough space to heat I suppose and insulation would not be great in places but our usage is more than yours for a much smaller space and it's not cosy in winter by any means.

We have 3 areas across two controlled timers.

1Kitchen/living on underfloor.

2 Sitting room bedrooms on radiators. It seems only one operates at a time but perhaps this is an electric issue that's cropped up and can be easily fixed.

If you or anyone has a number for the mayo outfit I'd appreciate a pm if that's even possible now post revamp! In case I have wrong number.

My model appears to be pro d 16kw if that means anything to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 buttercup2017

I removed the outside system pump (left the collector piping in place) and installed the air to water heat pump as close to the central manifold as possible. I was lucky the way my house was laid out. My bills are quite low, about 1300 per year (200sqm) including regular electricity usage. I haven't broken down the cost of heating itself but I am delighted with the a2w unit. I recall that the geothermal unit was a nice bit more expensive to run.

Post edited by buttercup2017 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Have a Neura geothermal heat pump installed in 2006 new build. Control panel also runs separate heat pump for hot water cylinder. Mostly runs OK, but can be tricky to get going at the start of the heating season. Insulation could be better, so house not great in really cold weather.

I think the power supply in the control panel is fried. Power cut here this evening and now panel error light is on. Power supply LED is dark, not showing anything. Might have trouble getting a replacement.

This is the guy in Mayo who does repairs, but is hard to get. https://www.linkedin.com/in/tom-fagan-72467455

Anything reusable from the existing Neura to any replacement system? Was hot water part of your original installation, and how was this handled?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

The PowerFlex inverter is gone on our Neura heat pump controller. Apparently this converts our single phase to 3 phase to match the compressor.

Proposed solution is to replace the compressor with a 1 phase unit, and bypass the inverter. Cost is approx €2k-€2.5k.

Anyone else done this, and how has it worked out?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Finleyv

Did you ever get anywhere with your system and the discussion group?

I have the same system installed (2009) and went through all of the previous problems others have outlined, that said I have persevered with my system, while others in the area have removed or changed to air to water. Had the hot water cylinder replaced and the pump changed from 3 phase to single.

It was also supplied by the Carlow Co. they were the main agents for the Neura System in Ireland, but installed by a local plumber, which is why there were a number of installations in my area.

Rgds

It got put on the long finger unfortunately but thankfully it's still running. Doesn't get the place as warm as I'd like but that's partly an insulation issue no doubt. The discussion group didn't materialise but hopefully a little bit of traffic on here will at least keep people aware there's more of us out there!

Would you know how deep your collector pipes are? Need to do some digging and was obviously hoping to avoid them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 boardsiebob

I had the Neura 8kW HP from Carlow EcoHeat. Had a lot of trouble over the years. Inverter and 2 compressors and €1000's later,

it was retrofitted by Mayo guy to single phase. Really bad job, same color wiring, cut pipes etc but it ran again. Now after 1 year not running again. Mayo HP guy gives not home. His business now progressed to selling and install new systems.

If someone's looking for inverter for these I have still an retrofit inverter/or I can provide you with contact via PM of an old Neura system guy, who also installed my inverter. He might not do this himself anymore as pensioner.

My question is: If someone has taken out their system and kept it in shed. Would be really great if I could take over some parts. Could do with Heat Exchanger plates, Filter. PM me

Advertisement