Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to South Carolina.

Options
  • 06-04-2021 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

I am moving to Beaufort, South Carolina in the near future. Employment reasons. I will be staying with a friend of my family at the outset.

Does anybody have any experiences they can relate before I set off on my grand adventures?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭knockoutned

Start working on getting and improving your credit score as quickly as possible. You'll need this if you plan on getting your own place (background checks for renting), buying a car on credit and any other loans / credit facilities you might need. Worth knowing, the majority of houses / apartments are unfurnished. Getting a store card to pay for everything is the best way to do it as you can normal spread payments over 12 months interest free.

A very quick way to do this is to apply for a secured credit card. I used Bank of America for mine. You pay upfront the card limit i.e. you give $1,000, the limit on the card will be $1,000. Once you have the card, use if it for everything and pay down the balance continuously.

After a couple of months, the bank will provide you with a proper card. Again continue to use this for everything and ensure balances are paid. It could take 6-12 months to get a decent score, but it makes a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Whats happening

100% Agree on Credit Score.. It has knock on efftects everywhere.

Having made the move in March 2020, I used a company called Jasper (https://www.jaspercard.com/) who work with people moving to the US for work.. Check out the FAQ's and Non-US at the bottom. They'll give you up to $5K Credit and you can start building your score, you just need a SSN within 60 days of opening account. My card was there waiting for me when I arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭knockoutned

This is probably more relevant (and better) than what I proposed. This was my main option, but that was 10 years ago.

I would state (though Whats Happening may confirm) that any card offering 6% cash back is charging decent interest rates (25% and above) so make sure if you go that option you clear you card every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Whats happening

This is probably more relevant (and better) than what I proposed. This was my main option, but that was 10 years ago.

I would state (though Whats Happening may confirm) that any card offering 6% cash back is charging decent interest rates (25% and above) so make sure if you go that option you clear you card every month.

Yeah.. Website is misleading... As 1% is standard cash back. Up to 6% is you refer to friends, think it's 0.5% incremental per referal (my link wasn't a referal) 15.5% is APR..

But to be fair if looking to build credit score in the US you'll need to ensure you clear your balance monthyl and keep below 30% utilisation

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Start working on getting and improving your credit score as quickly as possible.
    Agree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

I'll be closing my boards account soon, but I will be reading this thread even when I'm gone, so if you have anything to share, please do so, thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    I'll be closing my boards account soon, but I will be reading this thread even when I'm gone, so if you have anything to share, please do so, thanks.
    You can stay a member after moving to South Carolina. We have several members that moved from Ireland to US. Still active members. I am not Irish, but I have posted from California for years. Love boards.

Oh aye I know. But this person I'm staying with doesn't have the internet and it's a new start, a new me, so I'm breaking all ties with the past and all that stuff haha :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Still seems a bit excessive to close the account.

Beaufort is going to be between two lovely cities, Savannah and Charleston. Just buy an anti-aircraft cannon for the mosquitos.

Beaufort is going to be between two lovely cities, Savannah and Charleston. Just buy an anti-aircraft cannon for the mosquitos.
    State bird?

• Advertisement

Any other thought welcome.

Advertisement