Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Bia Audit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Do they check where you have your silage bales stacked? Mine are in the corner of a field and there is an open drain running behind it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭endainoz

I wouldn't worry about that anyway. Most of what they check is your shed, crush, handling facility, medical cabinet, dosing records, disinfection point, a couple of signs. If you have all that sorted you won't go too far wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Had mine this morning. Just have a small bit to fill in on the medicines in the book and send it onto them and I'm good to go then.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

How far back did you have to go with your medicine book? Is it 3 years? It’s amazing how relaxed you become with the paperwork when there is nobody checking up on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

No 6 months for new entrants. Just had a print off from the vets with tag numbers on it that I hadn't wrote into the book. Had all the dosing and stuff filled out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭minerleague

See Bord Bia will be checking our cattle for behaviour and flightiness among other more stringent measures soon! There'll be no fun left at all - either that or stock up on the sedatives

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

What is that going to achieve. Bucket reared animals will always be quieter than suckler bred.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭893bet

I can milk most of my suckler cows in the field. Halfcome up for a scratch.

Put a stranger around them and some would clear the ditch.

be surprised if this is part of the audit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭minerleague

Just reading off journal, sustainability report every 18 months, soil sampling, not finalized yet. I'm sure its a coincidence that you have to be in Bord Bia to join new suckler scheme and then announce raft of new elements. Will some forego suckler scheme as a result?? Wouldn't be in Bord Bia only have to be going to factory with cattle. Wont go into this suckler scheme either nor previous one

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

"sustainability" Bord Bia will become necessary until they decide there is a beef shortage

Animal must be reared all of life in a Bord Bia Quality Assured herd

from above also Maximum of 1 movement (2 residencies

• Advertisement

Of course it is? Are you saying it’s already part of the audit? What section?

given the subjective nature of visually interpreting docility by a bordbia bia inspector then I don’t see how it can be part of the assessment to qualify as “quality assured”. If it is then it’s even more bullshite than most of the audit.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Docility at slaughter would depend on who's handling them in the factory, and they won't give a **** about being gentle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Boom and it's being written by Larry. The new 20c qps payment will be a Larry scheme.

QA for life was mentioned in one of the grant thornton beef reports for the taskforce. It was the customers were looking for it. As was a reduction of moves

Reducing the amount of moves could have a huge benefit, similar to the china trade. It would remove QA from feedlots.

Biggest hit will be the weanling/yearling to store farmer and the 7months summer grazers. Could be a crutch that might take some of the smaller part timers out aswell Also the mart trade especially in smaller marts will be hit.

The signal has been coming for a while and it's something that if it affects you, you need to be potentially planning a system change

Post edited by mr.stonewall on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Robson99

It would be more in their line to go and check what Larry and co are selling off as QA beef. Bord Bia are a complete joke

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Robson99

People get too hung up about QA anyway. Age, movements, coming of QA farm etc not making one bit off difference these days in the Marts......when the boys want heads the paperwork is ignored completely

No. I can’t see it. Too many variables and subjectivity for an inspector to make an assessment. Impossible to implement when you consider.

1) Unless you are breeding the cattle yourself what control have you really on their temperment? They ain’t going to get quiet in the 3 months a finisher holds them. So do they loose their QA status if they happen to have a bunch a little wilder than usual for the 1 day inspection noting they will have an entirely different group of cattle in 3 months time. How many cattle need to look at the inspector wrong to loose status? “Sorry buddy, your QA is gone, one of them cows cut a look at me and I thought it was gonna kill me, maybe next year”

2) temperament within a group varies hugely. I have 1 that is wild, home breed and always wild since a week old (meant to cull this year as she is a nuisance but she is back in calf). She can incite the rest in the field when it suit her even though the rest are big grass puppies.

come on 😀😀😀😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭MfMan

I doubt even the most docile of continental cattle would willingly stand quietly in a field while a complete stranger walks about them. This could only be something thought up of by someone in D4.

"no it’s not on the current scheme but it’s inevitable that it’s coming. It should be based on a ph test of the carcass really but as I said the temperament of cattle has a huge bearing on the tenderness and quality of the beef."

Are you suggesting that in order for a animal to qualify for BB bonus they have to pass a litmus paper test in the factory - ah now c'mon.

I've seen the most docile of dairy cull cows becoming aggressive in a factory lairage. I know because I would have loaded and transported them without issue.

Jaysus, your really beginning to sound like a factory man.

• Advertisement

You do know that half of Australian beef has been treated with growth hormones.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

There isn't a hope in hell a Bord Bia inspector will walk out into a field of cattle to see how docile they are.

What if an animal started pawing the ground? Will there be checks at Bord Bia's recruitment stage for how fast an inspector can run before they're given the job?

Reports of this BS in the media show how far DAFM and Bord Bia are from reality. And it doesn't say much for the media either who copy-and-paste this stuff and give it an air of credibility.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I have quite enough cattle, generally they will all follow a bucket and walk behind me. A few years ago I had dep of ag cross compliance inspection. The inspector said he would read the cattle tags in the field if I sprinkled a little meal on the ground. He dodged slowly into fields & read every one. Few months the BB guy came out to the field with him like he was been chased, spooked all the cattle & couldn't get one number. So if they are going to assess domicile cattle they would need to know how to handle cattle first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭hopeso

I wonder if this is another attempted blow to the suckler herd? If this docile cattle thing gets going, then the finisher will have no other option only to buy bucket reared dairy stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

It's always said if they want the suckler man gone then they will get rid of him, but forget about retirement payments, they'll simply bury him in red tape and make it a torture for him to continue.

The suckler man is'nt exiting the system fast enough for the governments liking, hence a whole bunch of new "schemes" with more bullshit rules to abide by.

Now i don't for a minute think the docile scoring for cattle will ever come into it simply because it's impossible to police it, funny enough it would benefit me if it did, i pour-on my cows in the field every year, no need for a crush!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

It reminds me of the proposal during the boom to ban slurry spreading on Saturdays. I see it’s being reported that all the “stakeholders” including the useless parasites in the IFA have already agreed to this nonsense without any consultation as usual. Any suckler farmer giving money to the IFA needs to wake up and do it soon.

"Wild cattle make tough beef, there’s a direct correlation."

As does stress, dehydration and aged/older cattle. You could have the quietest of cattle and they will have become stressed/dehydrated due to travelling time, condition of travelling vis a vie in with other stock, handling by lairage staff, smell in factory, etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Got thinking over the past while, how did the 30 month rule come into play in the first place?

How was that ever allowed to happen?

As I said previously - it's death by a thousand cuts to the suckler herd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭hopeso

It was the time when BSE was a problem, as far as I recall

Advertisement