Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Decking

• 06-04-2021 6:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Family member has a decent sized wooden decking in the back garden, which has gone to shambles. It's like an ice rink in the winter, and some of the beams are rotten & they bend/flex when walked on. Obviously it needs to go. The underlying frame looks to be fine, so I'm wondering if I can buy lengths of the composite decking & just fix them to the frame, in place of the old wooden ones?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

I presume you are remvoing all the existing decking boards and leaving frame below in place ?
    No reason why not once the frame below is in good nick.
    However, no harm to investigate a bit into why original failed ?
    Is there a cross fall to prevent ponding ? Was is just a lack of maintenance.
    You say it is slippy - why so ? Are the boards ribbed or smooth ?
    Decks need to maintained annually - cleaning and treating etc.
    I'm in middle of cleaning and oiling my own in-between this crazy weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

I presume you are remvoing all the existing decking boards and leaving frame below in place ?
    No reason why not once the frame below is in good nick.
    However, no harm to investigate a bit into why original failed ?
    Is there a cross fall to prevent ponding ? Was is just a lack of maintenance.
    You say it is slippy - why so ? Are the boards ribbed or smooth ?
    Decks need to maintained annually - cleaning and treating etc.
    I'm in middle of cleaning and oiling my own in-between this crazy weather.

Aye that'd be the plan, leave the original framework in place, and just replace the top wooden decking boards with the composite lengths instead. As for why the original one went to crap, I'd say a lack of maintenance really. The boards are grooved, and if the weather is any way wet it's like walking in ice. Some of them feel rotten and soft too.

So I was wondering can I just remove the old lengths, and fit new composite lengths onto the already existing wooden framework below, which seems in good condition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Can't see why not. Have you checked how the composite is fixed - some have a clip system to conceal fixings but ultimately it still gets fixed to the subframe. Check that centres of your existing joists are compatible with your preferred composite decking board. Check also there is adequate cross fall to avoid pending.

Advertisement