Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor Advice Please

Options
  • 06-04-2021 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭

Hi

Looking for a monitor for gaming, budget is about €500, did a little searching online, and came up with MSI Optix AG321CR, any good? or is there better about for that budget?

Really appreciate any feedback on this.

Cheer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

What's your graphics card? What type of games you gonna be playing? That'll help narrow down the search. Tons of options with a monitor really!

Ultrawide, gsync vs freesync, tn vs ips, 1440p vs 1080p, 144hz etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Firblog

Well just got PC, and first game downloaded was cyberpunk 77. Other games mentioned were Doom 2016, Doom Eternal, Devil May Cry HD collection.. Haven't a clue about any of them, the monitor is my part of a birthday present so want it to do justice to the PC

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-10700K (3.8GHz) 16MB Cache
    Motherboard ASUS® PRIME Z490-P (LGA1200, USB 3.2, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready
    Memory (RAM) 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
    Graphics Card 12GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 - HDMI, DP
    1st Storage Drive 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
    1st M.2 SSD Drive 500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Firblog wrote: »
    Well just got PC, and first game downloaded was cyberpunk 77. Other games mentioned were Doom 2016, Doom Eternal, Devil May Cry HD collection.. Haven't a clue about any of them, the monitor is my part of a birthday present so want it to do justice to the PC

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-10700K (3.8GHz) 16MB Cache
    Motherboard ASUS® PRIME Z490-P (LGA1200, USB 3.2, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready
    Memory (RAM) 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
    Graphics Card 12GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 - HDMI, DP
    1st Storage Drive 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
    1st M.2 SSD Drive 500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)

Cheers.
    3060 is a high end 1080p GPU. If you don't want to compromise a picture output quality, then 1080p shouldn't be bigger than 25inch screen. The above is a 27inch 1080p - I wouldn't recommend that at all as you wouldn't utilise 3060 capabilities due to poor quality screen (too little numbers of pixels being spread out in a big screen).

AOC 24G2 or Asus Tuf VG249Q are great monitors, Asus being a bit brighter.

As for 1080p I would never consider TN or VA panel because IPS has the best colours and 24inch screens aren't expensive so don't need to compromise. For same reason, 24inch 144Hz monitors aren't expensive so I'd take 144Hz, not 120 or 75, especially having this GPU and playing games as above.

You haven't told us your PSU, but if it will be a decent one with a head room for upgrades, after 2-5 years you may want to get a new GPU, depending on your own needs, just to keep up with new (and mainly more demanding) games. Then beat to be looking for 1440p or 4K monitor too, while this 24inch monitor could be used just for browsing, watching movies or listening to music in the background. After a few years 4K monitors will get cheaper and it would be a nice upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The 3060 is a capable 1440p card, too. 85+ fps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

This is cheaper again from Germany. Quality monitor. Been using it for a few months and it's great.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07T7K2V7L?tag=pcp05-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

You can always turn some settings down to get higher frames.

In the games that it matters you will most likely be turning them down anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

BloodBath wrote: »
    This is cheaper again from Germany. Quality monitor. Been using it for a few months and it's great.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07T7K2V7L?tag=pcp05-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

You can always turn some settings down to get higher frames.

In the games that it matters you will most likely be turning them down anyway.

I have this monitor also , and its produces a beautiful picture.
    Colours are great, refresh rate is spot on , no issues as far as im concerned i use it for office work during the day and gaming at night/weekends

1440 is the sweet spot unless you are going into extremes , my 1070 card runs 1440 very well usually on max or near max settings. You will have no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Firblog

Personally was going to get him a 40"+ TV, but he was pretty adamant he wanted a monitor, so ended up buying this one.

Cheers for the info on screen types, sizes vs resolutions etc, very helpful and very much appreciated.

Advertisement