Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crow infestation

• 06-04-2021 10:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭

my widowed mum moved into a new house in the past week , she did not realise just how severe the crow situation was when she agreed to buy last autumn.

its absolutely horrendous , i visited the property yesterday and spoke to two of her neighbours , i did not get to speak to the other person in the vicinity but he is the only farmer amongst the cluster of houses.

question is this ,can crows nests be shot at this time of year provided it can be shown that a farmers feed is being soiled and that this poses a threat to his farm animals ?

just want to learn the exact rules currently

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Max H

You asked this question in the farming forum. And no you cannot shoot the crows nest.

Your last thread in farming, seems you don't like the answer to no you cannot shoot the nests. I suggest a mod will close this post soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Max H wrote: »
    Your last thread in farming, seems you don't like the answer to no you cannot shoot the nests. I suggest a mod will close this post soon

that assumes the person who answered in that other forum fully understand the current law ? , do they ? , not liking the idea of birds being shot is a different matter

i understand exceptions are made where a farmers feed is being damaged ?

You CANNOT shoot the nests.

• Advertisement

I suggest you go on the NPWS web site and read the derogation regarding certain species that can be shot under certain conditions, at certain times of the year

I suggest you go on the NPWS web site and read the derogation regarding certain species that can be shot under certain conditions, at certain times of the year

got a link ?

according to that , you can shoot if livestock are being effected

I smell a rat

• Advertisement

I smell a rat

i smell a busybody

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Apologies for interrupting your spat, but have either of you realised you are posting on an open forum?

Rhetorical.

So far we've had cross forum posting, back seat moderation and now we're devolving to name calling. So allow me to settle this.

Shooting nests is a no. End off. Its an offence to interfere with, move or destroy the nest of a protected wild bird once its built/in use.

No-one bar a Moderator gets to decide who can post, where they post, and on what topics. If you have a problem with something report it and allow the Moderators to deal with it.

If you want to continue this personal spat, take it to PM.

Derogation is permitted under the following exceptions:
    1. Public health/safety
    2. Disease prevention
    3. Prevent Crop damage
    4. Prevent Livestock damage
    5. Protect nesting (game) birds
    6. Protect feedlot(s)

If any of the above apply, problem birds can be culled, but NOT nests.

Thread closed.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement