Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dumping neighbor

Options
  • 07-04-2021 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

So I live in a small estate and I have a nice green opposite me. I'm home a lot the last year and I really don't think I like my neighbors or where I live anymore. Can anyone relate to that!!! Anyway I have noticed a big pile of ashes building up in the middle of the common green. I literally could not believe it when I saw my neighbor stroll up one evening and casually tip her ashes on to the pile. I've see her do it several times now so I'm pretty sure it's just her. This is illegal isn't it? I really don't need the hassle of a dispute but I do think it's seriously bad form. What would you do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Drop them back on her doorstep with a note? Put them in her bin and leave a note?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Assuming the pile is the location of annual Halloween festivities. She probably thinks she's not doing anything wrong. I'm not saying that's right. But isn't the issue the bonfire?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

listermint wrote: »
    Assuming the pile is the location of annual Halloween festivities. She probably thinks she's not doing anything wrong. I'm not saying that's right. But isn't the issue the bonfire?

What bonfire?

OP take a picture next time and report her, that’s scummy behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

ashes can you elaborate? the remnants of a living room fireplace? the remnants of a domestic waste fire? the remnants of a garden fire?

Smee_Again wrote: »
    What bonfire?

OP take a picture next time and report her, that’s scummy behaviour.

A pile of ashes in the middle of a green area.... Shouts to me Halloween.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Personally I would go out one night, fill it all into a wheelbarrow and dump into her lawn. Job done

i wouldn't be doing anything harsh so quickly

bear in mind, what if she comes from a rough family???.....and also what if she's mentally ill i.e.not quite with it

Yeah, because someone is dumping ash there. OP makes no mention of a bonfire.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Report to the council or dump them back in her garden.

Yeah, because someone is dumping ash there. OP makes no mention of a bonfire.

There is no need to get aggressive with me Smee, its early on a wed. im offering some perspective. OP never mentioned any fuller information other than neighbour adding to an ash pile.

• Advertisement

There is no need to get aggressive with me Smee, its early on a wed. im offering some perspective. OP never mentioned any fuller information other than neighbour adding to an ash pile.

Well we can all create scenarios to excuse scumbag behaviour.

Well we can all create scenarios to excuse scumbag behaviour.

Can you read back once where I excused the behaviour. In fact I explicitly said I don't.

But I'm sure you might enjoy fabricating stories in your head to excuse taking umption with others on the internet. Whatever floats your boat.

Did I mention relax..it's morning. Have a tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Just report her to the council. Simples. And If you want her to get a fine, make a statement and be prepared to stand over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Video, photographer.....

As said report to litter warden in council.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

That's bizarre imo but if she's doing it non secretly, she must think it's fine. If you don't want to get into it with her, would you(secretly) drop a note in her door saying Dear neighbour, please don't dump your ashes on the green, it is making a lovely space unsightly and may encourage others to add their rubbish also. Tk you, a concerned neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Pixielena

Hi thank you all for replying. There is no bonfire or anything to do with a bonfire. It's a nice area with some trees and bushes. It's ashes from her domestic fire. I think I would like to report her to the council but I really wouldn't want her to know it's me. It was suggested to write a nice anoynmous letter asking her to stop and if not threatening to report her. She would think of herself quite highly above the rest of us so I was shocked to see her doing it.I saw two kids playing beside the ashes yesterday evening and God it looked bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Can you read back once where I excused the behaviour. In fact I explicitly said I don't.

But I'm sure you might enjoy fabricating stories in your head to excuse taking umption with others on the internet. Whatever floats your boat.

Did I mention relax..it's morning. Have a tea.

You're the one who completely fabricated some bizarre bonfire scenario tbh.

OP said they noticed an ash pile building up. It was obvious to anyone reading - except you it seems - that someone was dumping ashes and then OP caught his neighbour in the act.

OP - if neighbour is brazen enough to do it in the green in front of the houses, maybe they don't realise what they're doing is pretty crappy. Ignorance is no excuse obviously, but you do have to account for it. Have a word with them - that's the obvious solution which I'm sure you know already.

This "anonymous letter" crap is bollix tbh - if it's bothering you, grow a pair and say it to her. Why wouldnt you? Are you scared or something? :confused:

Pixielena wrote: »
    It's ashes from her domestic fire.

as in a fireplace or a back garden fire burning domestic waste?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

She would think of herself quite highly above the rest of us so I was shocked to see her doing it.
    Straight over to her house and tell her to stop. She how highly she thinks of herself then.

If you don't want a confrontation then contact council - but do they not require a name to record the offence?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Pixielena

The ashes are from her fireplace. I don't want to say anything to her face because I just don't want an argument and I think she would scream and shout to defend herself. I think I will send a note and then if it keeps happening I will contact the council. I just don't want hassle on my door step but I don't want dumping either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Harpon

Have you just come out of a coma or something? This is April.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I think I would like to report her to the council but I really wouldn't want her to know it's me.
    FYI, you have to give a name and address to the council if reporting this (to prevent malicious reporting), but this is confidential and not released by the council if they follow up on the claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭148multi

FYI, you have to give a name and address to the council if reporting this (to prevent malicious reporting), but this is confidential and not released by the council if they follow up on the claim.

As I understand there is a box you can tick to keep your name confidential when making a written complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Hi thank you all for replying. There is no bonfire or anything to do with a bonfire. It's a nice area with some trees and bushes. It's ashes from her domestic fire. I think I would like to report her to the council but I really wouldn't want her to know it's me. It was suggested to write a nice anoynmous letter asking her to stop and if not threatening to report her. She would think of herself quite highly above the rest of us so I was shocked to see her doing it.I saw two kids playing beside the ashes yesterday evening and God it looked bad.

Going by the bit above I'd bet she has some stupid rationale worked out where ashes are a natural material and she's simply returning them to the environment where the green area will magically assimilate them back into nature.

The reality is that the ashes won't go anywhere quickly, will kill the grass underneath and cinders can have quite sharp edges which are not ideal on a green where kids should be able to play.

You shouldn't have to risk bearing her wrath just for pointing out that she's being a complete ar5ehole - Don't feel bad about sending an anonymous note.

Maybe mention that it's been discussed among her neighbours that so she doesn't jump to the conclusion that its just one person and everyone else is fine with it.

You could say there's clear photos of this illegal dumping happening and they'll be sent to the council for the next time.

Might be no harm to take some photos as proof if you can - even better taken from your car from a neutral vantage point so they can't ne traced back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Video, photographer.....

As said report to litter warden in council.

Don't want to sound smug, but this is a total waste of time. I am speaking from experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Don't want to sound smug, but this is a total waste of time. I am speaking from experience.

Well I know very much so where that like would be going but I'd be super banned for saying.....

The ashes are from her fireplace. I don't want to say anything to her face because I just don't want an argument and I think she would scream and shout to defend herself. I think I will send a note and then if it keeps happening I will contact the council. I just don't want hassle on my door step but I don't want dumping either.

really? is she the full shilling? is she on her own?

and as i said previously is she rough or from a rough family?? cause rough types never forget they'll hold a grudge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

You could also accidently on purpose bump into her one day and go Howya X, lovely day. God would you look at that, a disgrace isn't it. What sort of animals would do a thing like that. ��

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Hmmmm is 'smug' the right word here? Speaking from experience are you?

- Unless in a dramatic twist you happen to be the Council Litter Warden who habitually ignores all of these complaints!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭rn

Before going to council, I think it's worth mentioning to your local residents committee.

I used to be on one and we didn't directly intervene to any particular dispute and we had a green area problem with dumping, kids breaking trees and dog poo. But we did mention specifically problems on our green area on our newsletter and erected signage that we got from council. After that the vast majority of our illegal dumping and dog sh!t problems disappeared over the next 12 months.

Basically once people knew that other people cared about the green area, the abuse generally stopped. There's still the odd transgression

Advertisement