Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dumping neighbor

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if it's coal ashes she's depositing, they're actually considered toxic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Hmmmm is 'smug' the right word here? Speaking from experience are you?

- Unless in a dramatic twist you happen to be the Council Litter Warden who habitually ignores all of these complaints!!! :D

Definitely not the council litter warden but feel like one sometimes in my own area. And thinking that the council will sort out your litter problems is totally not going to happen.
    But hey no harm in trying. Good luck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's amazing what people will do on their own doorstep. years ago, my wife bought a house with her brother, n a new build estate. there was an existing field boundary/ditch about 50m from their house which had filled up with random domestic fly tipping. i contacted a local councillor, and arranged that if i hauled the stuff out of the ditch and left in in a pile, he'd arrange for the council to come and collect it, which they did.

except when i was doing it, my wife's new next door neighbour expressed amazement as i was doing it, at the fact that i was doing it, and sure what harm was it?
    it became quickly apparent that she had been the person, or one of the people doing it. i laid it on thick then. i hope i embarrassed the **** out of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

listermint wrote: »
    A pile of ashes in the middle of a green area.... Shouts to me Halloween.

What?? The OP just said the neighbour was seen adding to the pile, so the nieghbour obviously has created it!!

Unless you have proof it was her (photo/video) or she sticks a note with her name, address and date of birth into each ash pile, the council will not follow her up on it. Although they can see a mess, they can't point the blame at anyone in particular, unless they have proof.

What you could do, is go the anonymous letter route (you post it, with a stamp, don't push it in her letterbox yourself, as you'll invariably end up being seen). This gives you confidentiality, and also gives her the anxiety that it could be any neighbour in the street that seen her.

Alternatively, you can report her to the council for not having wheelie bins (which is where cold ashes can go, so I'm assuming she doesn't have bins or surely she'd just do that?). You are required to have a waste collection service, or have a stack of receipts from the local recycling centre/skip hire company to show that you're getting rid of waste that way.

Personally, if you're quite confident she has no CCTV on her house, and you can do it quietly, a note in the letter box, and her ashes fired all over her front garden, will be the most successful route, as she will know that it's likely to happen to her again and again.

Either way, do something about it now, before it does actually encourage a bonfire in that area, and more littering as a result.

If you have a resident's association, then mention it there, too, I suppose (I've never lived in an area with a resident's association, so can't comment how successful that's likely to be).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Mimon wrote: »
    What?? The OP just said the neighbour was seen adding to the pile, so the nieghbour obviously has created it!!

She has since come back and clarified. Adding to a pile doesn't mean it wasnt always there.

And for those questioning it's April. Ash piles simply don't disappear. They stay for pretty much ever.

The OP should plant a sign on the pile related to illegal dumping and a link to the legislation. And be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

sebdavis wrote: »
    Personally I would go out one night, fill it all into a wheelbarrow and dump into her lawn. Job done

no you wouldn't

you'd be the curtain twitcher

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

fryup wrote: »
    ashes can you elaborate? the remnants of a living room fireplace? the remnants of a domestic waste fire? the remnants of a garden fire?
    from an urn?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

She has since come back and clarified. Adding to a pile doesn't mean it wasnt always there.

And for those questioning it's April. Ash piles simply don't disappear. They stay for pretty much ever.

The OP should plant a sign on the pile related to illegal dumping and a link to the legislation. And be done with it.

You just made up an unlikely/make believe scenario in your head!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

no you wouldn't

If you say so

• Advertisement

no you wouldn't

People not correcting others ****ty behaviour is why we live in a litter covered country. If people can't act like adults they need to be told sharpish.

You just made up an unlikely/make believe scenario in your head!!!

You've never seen bonfire piles on green areas ?

Well laa dee daa on you...

You made up something and you are doubling down when challenged and then come out with this childish level of la deee da posting, oh ffs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Normally at this time of year they would be long cleaned up, normally that happens a few days after the bonfire because the council would be afraid someone would get hurt and sue

If the remains of a bonfire still is on the green it ain't one from Nov last year

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

from an urn?

everyday?? need to call the cops then

sebdavis wrote: »
    Normally at this time of year they would be long cleaned up, normally that happens a few days after the bonfire because the council would be afraid someone would get hurt and sue

If the remains of a bonfire still is on the green it ain't one from Nov last year

Not where I grew up it didn't. There wasn't any council cleaning up.

You made up something and you are doubling down when challenged and then come out with this childish level of la deee da posting, oh ffs :D

Well laa dee daa. It appears you've never seen a bonfire on a green area and you think it's such an outlandish thing.

That's pretty laa Dee dah but sure look ....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Unless you have proof it was her (photo/video) or she sticks a note with her name, address and date of birth into each ash pile, the council will not follow her up on it. Although they can see a mess, they can't point the blame at anyone in particular, unless they have proof.

What you could do, is go the anonymous letter route (you post it, with a stamp, don't push it in her letterbox yourself, as you'll invariably end up being seen). This gives you confidentiality, and also gives her the anxiety that it could be any neighbour in the street that seen her.

Alternatively, you can report her to the council for not having wheelie bins (which is where cold ashes can go, so I'm assuming she doesn't have bins or surely she'd just do that?). You are required to have a waste collection service, or have a stack of receipts from the local recycling centre/skip hire company to show that you're getting rid of waste that way.

Personally, if you're quite confident she has no CCTV on her house, and you can do it quietly, a note in the letter box, and her ashes fired all over her front garden, will be the most successful route, as she will know that it's likely to happen to her again and again.

Either way, do something about it now, before it does actually encourage a bonfire in that area, and more littering as a result.

If you have a resident's association, then mention it there, too, I suppose (I've never lived in an area with a resident's association, so can't comment how successful that's likely to be).

Just curious about the bit in bold. I remember an idea being mooted at some stage, about proof of rubbish disposal, for households, but I don't think anything came of it?

OP, it would annoy me a lot too. Is there a WhatsApp group or anything like that for your estate that it could be mentioned on? I'm sure it's annoying for lots of people. It might just take one person to start the ball rolling by mentioning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Ash is actually a good fertiliser for grass. It has to be spread in a thin layer. Not just dumped in a pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I get rid of ash two ways, on my own garden we have a raised bed, we don't burn coal or in the brown bin assuming its cold.

There are trees on the green across from my house and I do dump the leave that blow in to our garden from them back in amongst them into brambles so that they say put that's as far I'd go and it was my neighbour who suggested it.

Send her a letter in the post that it has been reported to the council that she has been dumping ash on the green and she is advised to stop. Instead use the brown bin once they are cool. She'll never know it was you, if she continues let the council know.

• Advertisement

Just curious about the bit in bold. I remember an idea being mooted at some stage, about proof of rubbish disposal, for households, but I don't think anything came of it?

It's become a requirement to have a waste disposal service. I live in a (heavily littered) council area, and we all got letters in the estate looking for our wheelie bin company details, or skip/recycling centre receipts, about a month ago, within the letter was a reminder of the legal obligation and whatever act or law or whatever it was, quoted.

(council doing the bare minimum to try and find out who's dumping stuff everywhere, but at least it's a step in the right direction).

It's become a requirement to have a waste disposal service. I live in a (heavily littered) council area, and we all got letters in the estate looking for our wheelie bin company details, or skip/recycling centre receipts, about a month ago, within the letter was a reminder of the legal obligation and whatever act or law or whatever it was, quoted.

(council doing the bare minimum to try and find out who's dumping stuff everywhere, but at least it's a step in the right direction).

Interesting. Hadn't heard anymore about it other than newspaper articles few years back

Well laa dee daa. It appears you've never seen a bonfire on a green area and you think it's such an outlandish thing.

That's pretty laa Dee dah but sure look ....

Are you ok?

Send her a letter in the post that it has been reported to the council that she has been dumping ash on the green and she is advised to stop. Instead use the brown bin once they are cool. She'll never know it was you, if she continues let the council know.

Just in relation to that, don't say she's already been reported. Say you will report her if she keeps at it. Otherwise she will think she's already been reported, and when no one comes knocking, she'll think either she's not doing any harm (as the council have taken no action) or that theres no follow-up from them anyway, so why abide by the rules.

Make the threat that you will report her, not that you already have. :)

Ash is actually a good fertiliser for grass. It has to be spread in a thin layer. Not just dumped in a pile.

Not coal ash, contains toxic heavy metals.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Great idea.
    I wonder is it just implemented by some councils.

A thing around here is dumping beside recycling bins. Anything from furniture to televisions. :mad:

fryup wrote: »
    everyday?? need to call the cops then

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

PR stunt. We all know how this goes.
    Decent people fill in the forms and comply with regulations.
    The hard done by victims of life just throw it away as they know nothing will be done about it.
    End result, nothing changes.

PR stunt. We all know how this goes.
    Decent people fill in the forms and comply with regulations.
    The hard done by victims of life just throw it away as they know nothing will be done about it.
    End result, nothing changes.

In fairness, if they did actually follow up on the houses that didn't submit the info, with some kind of repercussion for the nuisance neighbours, then it wouldn't be so bad.

Issue is that a fine is probably, what, €50 or something silly, so still cheaper to dump your old sh/te, rather than pay for a bin service (which isn't all that pricey anyway, ours is €72 per 3 months. So €6 per bin lift (lifted fortnightly), so it's hardly extortionate money).

• Advertisement

Great idea.
    I wonder is it just implemented by some councils.

A thing around here is dumping beside recycling bins. Anything from furniture to televisions. :mad:

In my area, we have a large pole, with CCTV cameras on top of it, a CCTV warning sign, and a 'no dumping' sign underneath the CCTV sign.

Yet, it's the go-to dumping spot. :rolleyes:

Advertisement