Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Painting concrete walls

• 07-04-2021 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of painting a block shed internally that i recently acquired, its about 20 yrs build and dry inside. Do i need to prep the wall before painting ? or what sort of paint should i use. Im ust looking to brighten the place up. might get a electric gun too to speed thibig up. finish is not terribly important.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Notch000 wrote: »
    Im thinking of painting a block shed internally that i recently acquired, its about 20 yrs build and dry inside. Do i need to prep the wall before painting ? or what sort of paint should i use. Im ust looking to brighten the place up. might get a electric gun too to speed thibig up. finish is not terribly important.

Rub of a wire brush will do fine. Water down the first coat of paint as it will soak up the paint very quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

Soakage wont be an issue. I though it would need to seal the concrete in preparation prior to painting ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

rob316 wrote: »
    Rub of a wire brush will do fine. Water down the first coat of paint as it will soak up the paint very quickly

Or a power washer if you have drainage and ventilation, 20 years is a lot of dirt and cobwebs:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Had a short thread on much the same thing myself a few months ago: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058131949

I just went for it in the end, with no great prep work. Took two coats of paint in most places, and went over it a third time in some spots. And all looks okay so far anyway, though I suppose only time will tell how it works out in the long run....!

Only thing different from that earlier thread is that I found out a roller was more or less useless for the job. Ended up going with a brush all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Notch000 wrote: »
    Soakage wont be an issue. I though it would need to seal the concrete in preparation prior to painting ?

It will, the bare block will suck the moisture out of the paint on the first coat. Water it down, like 70:30 and that will act as your sealer/base coat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Similar scenario for me, will be starting on a 10 year old block garage in the next week or so. Paint guy advised me to water down first coat as well. He advised using a roller but I noticed that Aldi have spray gun in this weekend, might give it a go - https://www.aldi.ie/electric-paint-spray-gun/p/803883456050200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Similar scenario for me, will be starting on a 10 year old block garage in the next week or so. Paint guy advised me to water down first coat as well. He advised using a roller but I noticed that Aldi have spray gun in this weekend, might give it a go - https://www.aldi.ie/electric-paint-spray-gun/p/803883456050200

The roller won't get into the cracks and pits on the block.
    I only ever use a block brush.

Sprayer could be good though!

Advertisement