Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Won't connect to WiFi

Options
  • 07-04-2021 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Have an issue with my laptop where it just randomly stopped connecting to wifi. Laptop is somewhat old and Windows 7. Basically now anytime I try connect I get "limited access". There is no issue with the router etc. as phones and other items connect no problem. Nothing has changed as I have updates disabled.

Below are further details.

Checking status of this connection:
    Connection:
    IPv4 Connectivity: Not connected
    IPv6 Connectivity: Not connected
    Media State: Enabled
    SSID: eircom - ******** 2.4 G
    Duration: 00:02:50
    Speed: 65 Mbps
    Signal Quality 4/5

Security Type WPA2-Personal
    Encryption type: AES

Device Status - This device is working properly.

Diagnose - Detecting Problems:
    Problems found:
    The diagnostics Policy is not running.
    I try these repairs as "administrator" but it doesn't fix the issue.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

Check the manufacturer's website and download the latest WiFi drivers and install or reinstall be the first thing to do.

If that doesn't work I can advise again.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Check the manufacturer's website and download the latest WiFi drivers and install or reinstall be the first thing to do.

If that doesn't work I can advise again.

Am trying a system restore now from a few days ago so will see if that does anything (was working at the point of this restore). Just seems strange as I have all updates etc disabled and laptop not really used much anymore just for internet. If the system restore doesn’t work I’ll go into wireless and remove / install drivers and take it from there and get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

ive seen laptops with wifi on/off switches
    make sure theres not one of these and if there is ,make sure its on

ive seen laptops with wifi on/off switches
    make sure theres not one of these and if there is ,make sure its on

Thank, this laptop has one but I’ve toggled it a few times in case it was a dodgy connection or switch but no joy.

Update: system restore from a few days ago fixed the issue. Connects now for some reason. None the wiser what changed as it was only used on the internet but sorted (for now) anyway. Next steps over lockdown is to collect everything I need off it and wipe it and reinstall windows and office.

• Advertisement

Have you tried forgetting the network and adding it again as a new network

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I wouldn't recommend connecting a Windows 7 laptop to the internet especially with updates off.

If you are wiping it is suggested upgrading to Windows 10 first if it's comptaible, you have a digital key then so can install a clean windows 10 image then.

While your at it get an cheap SSD and that can often improve an old laptop no end speed wish.

Advertisement