Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Charges

Options
  • 07-04-2021 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I’m not sure I’m in the right place but I am the owner of a second home for the past few years and recently received a bill from Irish water for almost €1000.

On the bill it says “business water service bill” but the house is privately owned and not a business.

I’m a bit confused as to what this is but letter has stated water will be cut off if not paid.

Appreciate guidance here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Have you phoned Irish Water? They are going to have a lot of information nobody else has.

If it was never registered during the period of domestic billing it could have been defaulted as a commercial property.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Here's some guidance. Ring up Irish water and ask them instead of a bunch of strangers that won't have a clue how your second home is classified as a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

2nd/Holiday homes have different water charges to primary/domestic rates.

https://www.water.ie/docs/IW-Water-Charges-Plan-May-2020.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

L1011 wrote: »
    Have you phoned Irish Water? They are going to have a lot of information nobody else has.

If it was never registered during the period of domestic billing it could have been defaulted as a commercial property.

Hi, is it just a matter of ringing them and telling them it’s not a commercial property and the bill will we written off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Hi, is it just a matter of ringing them and telling them it’s not a commercial property and the bill will we written off

You’re going to a lot people with posts like that. It takes less effort to dial the number of the people who have the answer than post here.

• Advertisement

You’re going to a lot people with posts like that. It takes less effort to dial the number of the people who have the answer than post here.

I want to make sure I say the right things before I call but obviously I’m not getting that info here

• Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I want to make sure I say the right things before I call but obviously I’m not getting that info here

Hello. My account number is xxxx. I have a bill for 1k. Bill says its commercial but its domestic. Can you please explain /help.

They are the only ones that can answer your questions

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Hello. My account number is xxxx. I have a bill for 1k. Bill says its commercial but its domestic. Can you please explain /help.

They are the only ones that can answer your questions

What defines/stipulates a domestic property,
    Are there criteria to be met for this status??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭con747

What defines/stipulates a domestic property,
    Are there criteria to be met for this status??

I would imagine the criteria would be that it is not used for commercial interests and is a private residence. Irish Water are on Boards so maybe just drop them a message.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

con747 wrote: »
    I would imagine the criteria would be that it is not used for commercial interests and is a private residence. Irish Water are on Boards so maybe just drop them a message.

Yes, that’s what I would have though but how do I prove that. It’s never been used as a business or even rented out. I’m imagining they will require some type of proof

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭con747

Yes, that’s what I would have though but how do I prove that. It’s never been used as a business or even rented out. I’m imagining they will require some type of proof

I think your being a bit paranoid over a non issue, if it has never been used as a commercial enterprise and is a private residence just ask Irish Water what they are charging you for. How will you know if you don't ask them?

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Dav010 wrote: »

Where exactly does it say that, I don't see anything specific

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

As has already been suggested, phone them and tell them it is a private residence and not a commercial property as they have stated and you want them to cancel the invoice.
    Their phone number is (01)7072828.
    By the way, is there a water meter at this property? Have they given you an invoice showing previous and recent meter readings?
    If not, ask them how is the water usage calculated / metered.
    If the call taker is fobbing you off ask for a supervisor and ask them under what reason do they assertain that it is a commercial property.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

What defines/stipulates a domestic property, Are there criteria to be met for this status??

Again I stress Irish water are the ones to answer these questions but from what examples I can remember, if your 2nd property is domestic then there is no charge.

The only reason I can think of for the 1k bill on a domestic is if you uses massive amounts of water but even this is capped. You'd also have years of billing from them & more than one demand for money.

I'm sure it's a glitch that a phone call will sort out

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think its the case that the legislation explicitly allows for it, but there currently is no different rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Hi all,

I’m not sure I’m in the right place but I am the owner of a second home for the past few years and recently received a bill from Irish water for almost €1000.

On the bill it says “business water service bill” but the house is privately owned and not a business.

I’m a bit confused as to what this is but letter has stated water will be cut off if not paid.

Appreciate guidance here

Hi, very interesting. I've a private house, lived in it for 20 years, quite rural cottage, over 200 years old. I fully registered when the absurd charges were introduced. All was fine for about a year and then out of nowhere, I got a demand for over a €1k as a commercial property.

Bemused I email irish water, got a run around and eventually was told they got my info from Laois County Council.

Furious, I called the council who unequivocally denied any information given and they went further and checked all commercial properties, farms etc within the entire county using my name. They concluded there was none in my area, a few further away in the county.

They obliged me with an email to confirm my property was domestic and was never a commercial entity.

Only after this, did Irish water relent. I did however enjoy sending them a Solicitors letter requesting they come back after installing a meter to clean up the mess they left behind. 8 staff, digger and Truck later, all nice a tidy. F******"s

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Where does it say that?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Where are you reading that? It states.

Domestic Premises’25 means a building or part of a building used by a person as his or her place of private residence (whether as his or her principal place of such residence or not)

Advertisement