Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No pay review after promotion

Options
  • 07-04-2021 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,549 ✭✭✭✭

Hello

If you get a promotion with a pay rise which happens just a few weeks before annual pay reviews, should you still be entitled to a pay review?

Because of the pay rise due to the promotion, I'm not getting a pay review. I've been with the company for almost 3 years and I've not had a pay rise prior to the promotion.

Without wanting to sound selfish I would have expected that I should be entitled to a pay review due to length of service e inflation, cost of living etc. They didn't say if they factored the pay review into the pay rise with the promotion but I doubt they did

I suppose they will counter argue the pay review can only be given on performance on my new role

Thanks

Comments

You got a position review

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wench

It would be unusual to immediately get a pay increase. You haven't had any time to prove yourself in the new role yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

siblers wrote: »
    Hello

If you get a promotion with a pay rise which happens just a few weeks before annual pay reviews, should you still be entitled to a pay review?

That awful word, entitled.

No, you aren't entitled to it. You bypassed the annual pay reviews essentially by being promoted. It's a little naive to think after a few weeks in role you'd get a pay increase!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

siblers wrote: »
    I would have expected that I should be entitled to a pay review due to length of service e inflation, cost of living etc

Does your contract explicitly say that you'll get more money just for a year's service? Most don't, unless you're in the public sector.

How much do you think the cost of living has changed over the last 12 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

At my current workplace if you are promoted or get a new position outside of the annual cycle, you get a pay rise and then you are excluded from the next annual round.
    Could be worse, where I used to work, I was promoted to a manager's role and spent 6 months with no pay rise, and no backdating either. That was in a MNC with profits in the billions .......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,632 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

How much of a pay rise did you get with the promotion. Just give it in an approximate percentage. 3 years is a substantial time working on same pay rate. Will the next review be 1 year or 3 years.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If I was your manager and 3 weeks after getting a promotion and a pay rise you came to me looking for more money...

Let's just say I would be unimpressed and leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Do you think they left you out of the pay rise accidentally after your promotion?
    If you don't think they did it accidentally then they dont think you are due a pay rise.
    When you ask for a pay rise now and they say no what are you going to do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

What did you do in those few weeks to deserve a pay raise?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,632 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Smee_Again wrote: »
    What did you do in those few weeks to deserve a pay raise?

TBF he has worked three years without a pay rise. He has got a promotion if his pay has raised by over10% then ya he would not deserve a pay rise if his promotion only gave him a pay rise of less than 10% then maybe I be thinking he may have a point.

It would also depend if he was getting a pay review next year not in 3 years tine

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

TBF he has worked three years without a pay rise. He has got a promotion if his pay has raised by over10% then ya he would not deserve a pay rise if his promotion only gave him a pay rise of less than 10% then maybe I be thinking he may have a point.

It would also depend if he was getting a pay review next year not in 3 years tine

The time to negotiate was when he was negotiating his promotion. He’s got no chance of another raise a few weeks later, everything that happened before is irrelevant at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,469 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

in my job the answers was no. You needed to hold the position for either 6 or 8 months I forget which exactly before you were entitled to receive the performance evaluation related pay increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

In most companies if you receive a promotion or pay adjustment outside of the annual cycle you are no longer entitled to the annual increase.

Advertisement