Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attic Conversion in Double Hip Roof

• 07-04-2021 9:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

Have an attic with 700 sq ft of usable space , At one end I want to create a small office for starters. Its a double hip roof and the hip timber is making the framing quite awkward , What is the best way to deal with it ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

TimHorton wrote: »
    Have an attic with 700 sq ft of usable space , At one end I want to create a small office for starters. Its a double hip roof and the hip timber is making the framing quite awkward , What is the best way to deal with it ?

Do you mean the way it sticks down further than the rest if the timber?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭TimHorton

mickdw wrote: »
    Do you mean the way it sticks down further than the rest if the timber?

Exactly - I do not want it exposed , I am looking for suggestions on how to insulate/frame around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Exactly - I do not want it exposed , I am looking for suggestions on how to insulate/frame around it.

Some will actually slab around that shape giving a clean enough finish but takes abit of work as it needs to be perfect.
    You could counterbatten the rafters - will allow you to install extra insulation thereby hiding that hip rafter. Something like 2 x 2 battens would work.
    Insulated slab would also possibly hide it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Counter batten it and introduce an air tight membrane while you're at, the void created by the battens will create an ideal service zone for electrical and allow you to maintain air tightness. You'll need to think about insulation and ventilation of the roof space in the pitched ceiling section though, so tread carefully.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Looks like 5 x 2 rafters (125 x 44)

By the time you properly insulate, maintaining a 2" (50mm) vent gap.... You won't see that hip rafter at all.

I'd suggest 75mm board between the existing rafters and a 62.5 insulated plasterboard under. That would hide the hip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The hip rafter makes continuous roof space ventilation a bit tricky.
    What material is the roofing felt

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Looks like 5 x 2 rafters (125 x 44)

By the time you properly insulate, maintaining a 2" (50mm) vent gap.... You won't see that hip rafter at all.

I'd suggest 75mm board between the existing rafters and a 62.5 insulated plasterboard under. That would hide the hip.

Was looking at this option, 62.5 will come up short of the hip, Maybe if I counter batten this will bring me clear of the hip and introduce service area - I will also maintain 50mm vent air gap. Would this be possible, I would also like add Air Tight membrance on the warm side of the 75mm board. Is this recommended?

The hip rafter makes continuous roof space ventilation a bit tricky.
    What material is the roofing felt

If I leave the 50 mm Air Gap I presume I am ok? , The house was built about 15 years ago so I assume its breathable felt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

If I leave the 50 mm Air Gap I presume I am ok? , The house was built about 15 years ago so I assume its breathable felt.

the 50mm is between the felt and the rigid between the rafters which will be the exact shape so airtight

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement