Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Levelling out a sloping lawn

Options
  • 07-04-2021 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all. I have an uneven and sloping lawn that I'd like to level out. I'm going to use rolled out turf for the new lawn.

The depth is approx 300mm at the end of the slope. At this level, can I simply pour top soil over the existing lawn? Or does the grass need to be removed first?

Also, at the same 300mm depth, provided I use at least 150mm of top soil for the new lawn, can I fill in the deeper sections with something other than expensive top soil? Perhaps sand, some aggregate or other soil perhaps? All I can find online for infill is top soil and I was hoping to lower the number of top soil bags that I need to purchase.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

Hi all. I have an uneven and sloping lawn that I'd like to level out. I'm going to use rolled out turf for the new lawn.

The depth is approx 300mm at the end of the slope. At this level, can I simply pour top soil over the existing lawn? Or does the grass need to be removed first?

Also, at the same 300mm depth, provided I use at least 150mm of top soil for the new lawn, can I fill in the deeper sections with something other than expensive top soil? Perhaps sand, some aggregate or other soil perhaps? All I can find online for infill is top soil and I was hoping to lower the number of top soil bags that I need to purchase.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

I bought a few bags of top soil last year to top dress. To be honest, they don't go far at all. If you're buying individual bags you will spend a fortune I'd say if you're trying to fill to the depth of 1 foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

get a fella with a mini digger to level it out for ya, save a lot of backache

Advertisement