Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant or not? Very confused!

Options
  • 08-04-2021 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

Hello everyone ☺️

I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

I had an early miscarriage 4 months ago and ttc since then. This month, my period was 2 days late. I did a pregnancy test on the 2nd day and said negative. The next few days haf some spotting on and off and then my period started what seemed like a normal period for 4 days.

Roll on 5 days after my period ended and I had a tiny bit of spotting again which is unusual for me.

Out of pure confusion I did a pregnancy test just now (7 days after my period ended) and it has shown as positive. It's a digital one and says pregnant.

I'm utterly confused. I considered the possibility that my "period" was another miscarriage but the fact that the test I did when my period was 2 days late said not pregnant makes me think otherwise.

But surely this makes no sense! I might try a clear blue dating test and see what it says in terms of weeks.

Any thoughts??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

Just did 3 more tests (help!!)

One came back negative, the other 2 are clear blue dating tests and they both came back positive 1-2 weeks. Doesn't tie into my dates what so ever........confused!!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

What's the sensitivity of the negative test you tried? For the Clear Blue digital, afaik the 1-2 weeks indicator only needs 10miu to show.

It does seem strange. I suppose all you can do is wait a couple of days and try another test to see if the line gets stronger indicating that a pregnancy is continuing. Or call your gp and ask for a hcg blood test (and then repeat in a couple of days, again to see if levels are rising/falling?)

I hope it's good news for you x

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

They say a line is a line.. so tentative congrats to you.

A miscarriage can sometimes return a positive result due to retained tissue remaining behind, but I'm not sure if that applies to one that early. You'd probably have to talk to a midwife.

All I can say is to keep testing - but with first morning urine. Clearblue and First response are the most sensitive on the market I think.

Thanks for the responses.

The 1st 2 tests were the same brand with a sensitivity of 25mlu (got one positive first thing in the morning and one negative afew hours later), the second 2 were clear blue (both positive 1-2 weeks). They were all digital tests.

My gut is saying possible miscarriage early on as I have zero other symptoms but whats confusing me is the negative result 2 days after my period was late (the next day I started my "period")

Will try again in the morning, the waiting and wondering is a killer

Didn't contact gp.yet as pretty sure they'll just refer me to early pregnancy unit.

Got a negative yesterday and a positive today, guessing my levels are dropping and eventually I'll get consistent negatives. Was also using different brands so should really use sane brand I suppose to be more consistent

Have had a fair bit of nausea the last 2 days which is strange but pretty sure over the next few days I will get more negatives unfortunately

• Advertisement
Advertisement