Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to remove Lichen fro roof.

Options
  • 08-04-2021 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi, my roof tiles are destroyed with Lichen, just wondering what product can I get to remove it from my roof. TIA.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't think lichen will actually be damaging the tiles though?

Aye. Does no harm, adds a bit of patina and character.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kerdiff

Just doesn't look great on the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kerdiff

It just doesn't look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

kerdiff wrote: »
    It just doesn't look great.

To be honest, who but yourself is looking at it?

Nothing wrong with it in my view and you're only looking for trouble.

Surely there are greater tasks to attend to other than this!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Looks absolutely fine to me. You'd be creating a rod for your own back by trying to clean it, plus I suspect any treatment would be the sort of thing with 'do not pour into watercourses' or 'hazardous to aquatic life' which given it will run off into the storm drain, would be an issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭mooz

kerdiff wrote: »
    Hi, my roof tiles are destroyed with Lichen, just wondering what product can I get to remove it from my roof. TIA.

Did it today. Used Algae buster, picked it up in my local hardware store last year and had 5l left over. Sprayed the walls and roof with a knapsack. Give it 2 weeks to see an improvement. Cleans the moss, algae, red stains that you see on chimneys/walls etc. Highly recommend it

mooz wrote: »
    had 5l left over.
    to a man with a hammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

The guys who remove algae, lichen etc from concrete roof tiles/slates for a living, spray on DDAC (Didecyldimethylammonium chloride), diluted down with water.
    You can buy it from Benz Softwash down in Cork, but some of the moss clear products have it as their active ingredient.

You would spray it on an leave it to do it's job over the following weeks - the lichen etc. die off and basically weather away.

Some guys might use SH (Sodium Hypochlorite), and this will have a more immediate effect, but the DDAC is more environmentally friendly, and longer lasting,(clear for at least two years afair).

Farmers used to use SH to clean down milking parlours, and you can still get 25L drums of it in the big agri supplies shops for around 30quid.

Advertisement