Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Driver Opinions

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

TitianGerm wrote: »
    That's what I'm thinking. Take a chance on one for €250-270 and use it for three or four years and actually work on my game in that time and then when I've managed to lower my handicap get fitted at that time.

That sounds like a good idea to me. Taking a quick look at Mcguirks, you'd need to go to €350 to get custom fitted and then you'd just have the choice of a Mizuno or a Wilson. I hear the Mizuno is lovely, haven't heard anything about the Wilson. But it's an extra 80-100 euro. If you want to bring other clubs into the mix you'll be going to 419 for last season Callaway, 429 for new Cobra, 455 for last season Ping. Suddenly you're spending an extra €200 and not even getting the latest model. Now in reality there won't be a noticeable difference between last years model and this, but it's more the principle of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

blue note wrote: »
    That sounds like a good idea to me. Taking a quick look at Mcguirks, you'd need to go to €350 to get custom fitted and then you'd just have the choice of a Mizuno or a Wilson. I hear the Mizuno is lovely, haven't heard anything about the Wilson. But it's an extra 80-100 euro. If you want to bring other clubs into the mix you'll be going to 419 for last season Callaway, 429 for new Cobra, 455 for last season Ping. Suddenly you're spending an extra €200 and not even getting the latest model. Now in reality there won't be a noticeable difference between last years model and this, but it's more the principle of it!

Yea I think if I was spending €450 I'd just spend €600 on the newest club available.

I'll probably go for one of the Cobra, TS2 or take a chance on the Sim Max recommended above and stay below €300.

Then in two or three years just go for a full fitting and get a full set of woods and possibly irons at that stage. Might be best all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭kod12

highly recommend golf style galway. Got the new Sim 2 driver with the shaft i wanted for 399

Yea I think if I was spending €450 I'd just spend €600 on the newest club available.

I'll probably go for one of the Cobra, TS2 or take a chance on the Sim Max recommended above and stay below €300.

Then in two or three years just go for a full fitting and get a full set of woods and possibly irons at that stage. Might be best all round.

So I took a chance on an ex Demo Cobra Speedzone at €220. Let's see what condition it arrives in. For that price I'm willing to take a chance one buying one blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭slingerz

Got fitted pre Xmas and ended up with a demo speed zone. Interestingly the shaft is heavier and shorter than I had and the loft of the club is now 9 from 10.5

The return to the course will see its first outing and if it’s worthwhile

• Advertisement

Cobra driver arrived today and other than them sending me the Xtreme version I'm happy enough with the club.

No head cover or wrench but that was expected. The grip does have Cobra Connect tag in it though.

One tiny mark on the sole of the club. Four small knicks on the crown from been dropped into a bag by the looks of it and small bit of paint of the face near the toe of the club.

I've seen people on Adverts selling second hands for more so happy with the condition overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Cobra driver arrived today and other than them sending me the Xtreme version I'm happy enough with the club.

No head cover or wrench but that was expected. The grip does have Cobra Connect tag in it though.

One tiny mark on the sole of the club. Four small knicks on the crown from been dropped into a bag by the looks of it and small bit of paint of the face near the toe of the club.

I've seen people on Adverts selling second hands for more so happy with the condition overall.

Golfstyle in Galway doing them for €269 new. A range of shafts and and in 9 or 10.5 degree. Picked up one with a hzrdus blue shaft. Will take off the plastic on the first tee :D

Golfstyle in Galway doing them for €269 new. A range of shafts and and in 9 or 10.5 degree. Picked up one with a hzrdus blue shaft. Will take off the plastic on the first tee :D

€279 on their Facebook but no use to me in Wexford with lockdown :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

€279 on their Facebook but no use to me in Wexford with lockdown :pac:

They'll post, I've bought loads off them here in Carlow. €10 postage but if you have a chat with them on Facebook they'll do you a deal usually. I just got 2 Vokeys for €285 delivered during the week. Same price as McGuirks I know but would rather support them and they have much better deals I find.

They'll post, I've bought loads off them here in Carlow. €10 postage but if you have a chat with them on Facebook they'll do you a deal usually. I just got 2 Vokeys for €285 delivered during the week. Same price as McGuirks I know but would rather support them and they have much better deals I find.

Cheers for that. Actually looking for a Tour Bag as well so I'll see what they say.

• Advertisement

Cheers for that. Actually looking for a Tour Bag as well so I'll see what they say.

I'm sure I saw them advertising a few tour bags on Facebook if you take a look there and give them a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tropics001

The Justin Rose comments are interesting. He has no club deal now so playing old driver and mizuno irons.
    I saw a post from Robert Rock on Instagram saying pros try to keep their iron set as long as possible - until they wear out which for him was always 6 iron. It's really made me step back from chasing new clubs and really try to groove more what i have.

This is until the next new shiny thing comes along of course...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNGYVSQsu71/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

The mistake the pros are making is they're hitting it from the same spot on the club every time. It's like eating a sandwich and saying you'll have to order something else now because you're not full but you haven't eaten the crusts.

I get way longer out of my clubs because I use every bit of the face. And sometimes the hosel or shaft and once or twice the underside of he club. And that's how I can afford to take an extra 20 shots a round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

blue note wrote: »
    I get way longer out of my clubs because I use every bit of the face.

Some fools pay big money to play nice courses and only end up hitting the ball, like.. barely 70 times :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭yuridwyer

Got fitted for a new driver in McGuirk's before Christmas, Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero, €529. Bit annoyed with myself as I should have waited a few months before buying. I asked about price in McGuirk's and was told it wouldn't come down in price when new models came out this year! Lesson learned! (Also best drive I hit in fitting was with my Taylormade R540!). In fairness the fitting was good and the one day I got to use it before lockdown again I hardly missed a fairway. So better accuracy but without a noticeable gain in distance, but I suppose by hitting more fairways my score will improve anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

yuridwyer wrote: »
    Got fitted for a new driver in McGuirk's before Christmas, Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero, €529. Bit annoyed with myself as I should have waited a few months before buying. I asked about price in McGuirk's and was told it wouldn't come down in price when new models came out this year! Lesson learned! (Also best drive I hit in fitting was with my Taylormade R540!). In fairness the fitting was good and the one day I got to use it before lockdown again I hardly missed a fairway. So better accuracy but without a noticeable gain in distance, but I suppose by hitting more fairways my score will improve anyway

What did the fitting entail?

How many shots with own driver? You try many models? Different shaft options?

redzerdrog wrote: »
    What did the fitting entail?

How many shots with own driver? You try many models? Different shaft options?

If memory serves right about 15-20 drives with my own driver, for her to get a feel for distance, spin, speed etc. That told me (1) Need a stiff shaft as my swing speed was high, not unexpected as old driver had stiff shaft (2) My spin numbers were massively high leading to high slice generally, so a lower loft was needed (9 compared to 10.5) (3) Also to counteract slice to do with a driver with a draw bias. Didn't get into shaft types or length, which I had in my mind to ask about beforehand but forgot when I was in there. Tried a good few models, all the usual, as my driver was Taylormade I expected the SIM to be right up there at the head of the queue but didn't like the feel of it at all for some reason. The others were all roughly the same, Mavrik gave me a nice low flight and much lower spin rate. But, like I said, I don't think any of them will match my old driver for distance, when I connected properly with old driver that is, however, on average I hope the Mavrik will mean I'm playing a lot more second shots from middle of the fairway. Wasn't bothered too much about the price because I had 400 in vouchers, so it really only cost me 130. Wasn't overly keen on the look of it at first but am warming to it (in the back garden). Had one game with it before Xmas and hit it really well, never really felt like I would leak one really far right. However if you gave me any driver with those specs, 9deg/stiff shaft, draw, I'd say I might struggle to notice a difference between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    I dropped them an email asking about the shaft spec and the condition before i ordered and they came back to say the SIM were in great condition with some in plastic and they gave me the 3 shaft specs and told me to include my preference in the notes for delivery...they were quick and responsive and very helpful....ironically when i placed my order, assuming that it wouldn't come with the original headcover, i sourced one on line at a decent price so if anyone is looking for a SIM driver cover, let me know!!!

Do you still have a spare sim driver headcover?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Do you still have a spare sim driver headcover?

I certainly do.....drop me a PM or something and we can discuss further if you like....cheers....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

I have a fitting for a new driver and irons in McGuirks on Thursday, any idea how long custom clubs take before being delivered? Itching to get going again now but want the new clubs!

• Advertisement

Motivator wrote: »
    I have a fitting for a new driver and irons in McGuirks on Thursday, any idea how long custom clubs take before being delivered? Itching to get going again now but want the new clubs!

I didn't think the shops were back open until the middle of may?

Didn't realise fittings were back as well. I think it depends on the manufacturer but there are global delays of Ping and Mizuno for sure and I'd imagine other manufacturers are struggling too but I'm sure your fitter will be able to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

yuridwyer wrote: »
    If memory serves right about 15-20 drives with my own driver, for her to get a feel for distance, spin, speed etc. That told me (1) Need a stiff shaft as my swing speed was high, not unexpected as old driver had stiff shaft (2) My spin numbers were massively high leading to high slice generally, so a lower loft was needed (9 compared to 10.5) (3) Also to counteract slice to do with a driver with a draw bias. Didn't get into shaft types or length, which I had in my mind to ask about beforehand but forgot when I was in there. Tried a good few models, all the usual, as my driver was Taylormade I expected the SIM to be right up there at the head of the queue but didn't like the feel of it at all for some reason. The others were all roughly the same, Mavrik gave me a nice low flight and much lower spin rate. But, like I said, I don't think any of them will match my old driver for distance, when I connected properly with old driver that is, however, on average I hope the Mavrik will mean I'm playing a lot more second shots from middle of the fairway. Wasn't bothered too much about the price because I had 400 in vouchers, so it really only cost me 130. Wasn't overly keen on the look of it at first but am warming to it (in the back garden). Had one game with it before Xmas and hit it really well, never really felt like I would leak one really far right. However if you gave me any driver with those specs, 9deg/stiff shaft, draw, I'd say I might struggle to notice a difference between them.

Any mention of shaft weight when getting fitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

Didn't realise fittings were back as well. I think it depends on the manufacturer but there are global delays of Ping and Mizuno for sure and I'd imagine other manufacturers are struggling too but I'm sure your fitter will be able to tell you.

The shops aren’t open but McGuirks are doing fittings by appointment only starting today.

Hoboo wrote: »
    Any mention of shaft weight when getting fitted?

No.... think I was too excited to be buying a new driver that I forgot to ask those type of questions when I went in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

The shops aren’t open but McGuirks are doing fittings by appointment only starting today.

I'm not sure how they are doing this as Sport Ireland have been pretty clear that fittings aren't allowed in any situation, not even outdoors, so can't see how McGuirk's think indoor fittings are permissable

• Registered Users Posts: 9 PK66

going for a fitting myself as soon as things open. I am going to look at the Cobra and the Mizuno drivers. they just seem very good value and from what I can see no drop off in quality from some of the other big brands.

I suppose that is what a fitting is all about. you go in with preconceived notions but that can all change after a few hits with each club

I see PXG have a newer more affordable model driver available on their website. It starts at £299 and offers plenty of options.

https://www.pxg.com/en-gb/clubs/drivers/0211#configSection

Advertisement